Ausa chance me Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Ausa chance me

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:15 am

Was wondering about my ausa chances in one specific fairly competitive large district...think the type of district where many of the ausas jump back and forth to biglaw with some frequency. Due to family issues, I am not geographically flexible.

Very strong t30 with great regional rep in target district

1-2 years vault50 litigation associate at smaller office of large firm working partially under a former ausa partner in target district

3 years ada in target district

1 year fedclerk in target district.

My next question is whether people think it would increase my chances any to try to lateral to a v10, or whether v50 effectively checks the “biglaw” box.

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Ausa chance me

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:29 am

The district you're talking about may be different, I don't know, but I've never heard an AUSA utter the words "V-anything" and I really cannot imagine that the vault ranking makes even one iota of difference, compared to the experience you get, how you can sell it in an interview, and your connections.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:The district you're talking about may be different, I don't know, but I've never heard an AUSA utter the words "V-anything" and I really cannot imagine that the vault ranking makes even one iota of difference, compared to the experience you get, how you can sell it in an interview, and your connections.
OP here. I appreciate the advice. So in other words, assuming experience is good at say a firm like DLA Piper, there’s no reason to switch from that to say a Quinn if ausa is goal?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The district you're talking about may be different, I don't know, but I've never heard an AUSA utter the words "V-anything" and I really cannot imagine that the vault ranking makes even one iota of difference, compared to the experience you get, how you can sell it in an interview, and your connections.
OP here. I appreciate the advice. So in other words, assuming experience is good at say a firm like DLA Piper, there’s no reason to switch from that to say a Quinn if ausa is goal?
I would look at your target district and see which firms are “feeder” firms. Some districts, like SDNY have a lot of AUSAs from certain firms (think Paul Weiss and debevoise). That might help give you an idea.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:36 am

First anon - yeah, I definitely agree with the above (however that would be more about relationships with a specific firm in that district than it would be about a vault ranking).

I also think that, at least in the absence of any information about that kind of feeder relationship, at a certain point moving purely for a hypothetical future job has diminishing returns - you’re better off doing an awesome job where you are than moving for the sake of checking boxes (I just don’t think AUSA hiring is quite as mechanical as “v10 is 7 bonus points while v50 is only 3 bonus points”). Mostly because I think vault rankings are a ridiculously blunt instrument and not helpful for the validating firms.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:39 am

You must be targeting SDNY/EDNY/EDVA.

Typically, I would say you're not likely to get an AUSA position as these three offices routinely hire HYS (though SDNY is partial to Fordham graduates) and love biglaw experience. But in this environment, I think you likely have a very good shot. Most of the new positions created are to focus on drugs/guns/immigration and your ada experience is likely to be seen as a big advantage as will be your clerkship. That being said, if you get assigned to drugs/guns/immigration, you're not going back to the private sector. You need to get assigned to financial fraud or cyber if you want to go back to a firm or inhouse, so don't stay in major crimes too long.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:29 pm

So I’m actually not targeting anything in NY of VA. It’s a mid to large competitive district, but maybe a tier below those.

Does that change the assessment?

Omerta

Bronze

Post by Omerta » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:56 pm

I would say moderate right now but jumping after another year or two. IMO, the best thing you can do is get a good relationship with the former AUSA partner and get substantive experience. Most USAOs do not care about vault rankings--big firm is big firm. And, if I were on the hiring committee, I wouldn't give much weight to just a year at a firm. In my experience, most firms have at least a 6-month period where you're figuring out how stuff works and proving that you can be trusted to not fuck stuff up.

FWIW, I have similar credentials (T20-30, top 10%, federal clerkship in target market, but sub out 4 years in biglaw for the ADA/biglaw mix) and applied to every single AUSA opening in my target district. I got an interview for the first time a couple months ago.

One other piece of advice: don't be disheartened if you don't get it the first time. For most folks, it takes at least two interview invites before getting an offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”