Camel / tan colored Suit for OCI? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Camel / tan colored Suit for OCI?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:28 am

Yes or no? I only own three, navy, grey and tan, so wondering if this will come off weird to wear the tan for some interviews.

cfcm

Silver

Re: Camel / tan colored Suit for OCI?

Post by cfcm » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:30 am

Do not do this.

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:31 am

Just go with navy or grey. Why would you even want to risk it??

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:37 am

I am tempted to say it would be a better idea to not even wear a suit at that point. There is absolutely no reason you can't just do OCI with two suits. I would imagine there are people who are going to do it with one!

10b5

New

Post by 10b5 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:Yes or no? I only own three, navy, grey and tan, so wondering if this will come off weird to wear the tan for some interviews.
See, this is how people strike out at OCI. Not even kidding. Just be normal, how hard is it?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CaptainLeela

Platinum

Post by CaptainLeela » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:06 pm

What about a gray suit with light plaid? Or should we strictly adhere to gray or navy?

10b5

New

Post by 10b5 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What about a gray suit with light plaid? Or should we strictly adhere to gray or navy?
JFC do you want a job or not?

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:15 pm

Yeah don't try to be all different. Maybe for like Quinn Emanuel or something at its happy hour. I saw so many people strike out. Of course, it could have been grades and general interview skills, but the folks sporting bolo ties, shimmery silver suits and the like did not secure a clerkship FWIW

JHP

Bronze

Post by JHP » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:19 pm

Yeah, it's such a stupid thing to find weird, but people will definitely see a tan suit as....strange. People who wore those douchey Wall-street contrast collar shirts when I did recruiting got a side-eye (though probably because they also lived up to the douchey nature of people who where white collars on their blue button ups).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:36 pm

JHP wrote:Yeah, it's such a stupid thing to find weird, but people will definitely see a tan suit as....strange. People who wore those douchey Wall-street contrast collar shirts when I did recruiting got a side-eye (though probably because they also lived up to the douchey nature of people who where white collars on their blue button ups).
you'd get laughed off the floor at any bulge bracket for wearing that shit there too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:54 pm

I'm a student about to go through OCI so I have no more experience than the people asking the questions in this thread, but are you guys actually serious with this stuff? Wear a navy, grey, or charcoal suit. How hard could it be. You have been told multiple times that the key after getting a screener is to be normal. I'm literally in shock.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:59 pm

if Obama can do it so can I!

$$$$$$

Bronze

Post by $$$$$$ » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:15 pm

Totally agree with everyone re: DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES wear a tan suit.

Question for everyone else: for women, is black a permissible color to wear? I've heard differing opinions.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

10b5

New

Post by 10b5 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Totally agree with everyone re: DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES wear a tan suit.

Question for everyone else: for women, is black a permissible color to wear? I've heard differing opinions.
I think it’s fine, though dark navy or charcoal is ideal.

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:21 pm

It really cant be more simple for guys. Wear a navy or dark charcoal suit. Wear a white shirt with a spread or point collar and red/blue tie with a conservative pattern. Button down collar looks bad. Wear black cap toe oxfords with matching belt (can get away with dark brown oxfords, but ultra conservative places you should really just play it safe with black). And for the love of god just wear socks that match your suit color.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Totally agree with everyone re: DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES wear a tan suit.

Lots of women wear black, so even if it isn't "permissible," enough people do it that it isn't something you'll get dinged for.

Guys shouldn't wear black though (OR TAN!)

Law2511

New

Post by Law2511 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I think it’s fine, though dark navy or charcoal is ideal.
Black is totally fine for women. I don’t think navy or charcoal are at all better - all are equally fine. (The black suits = funerals/weddings is a guy thing.)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

le6f

New

Post by le6f » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:28 pm

SomewhatLearnedHand wrote:It really cant be more simple for guys. Wear a navy or dark charcoal suit. Wear a white shirt with a spread or point collar and red/blue tie with a conservative pattern. Button down collar looks bad. Wear black cap toe oxfords with matching belt (can get away with dark brown oxfords, but ultra conservative places you should really just play it safe with black). And for the love of god just wear socks that match your suit color.
+1 on the socks. Once had someone told me that the only thing interviewers should remember about your attire is that you didn't mess it up.

uncle_rico

New

Post by uncle_rico » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:03 pm

Wear the tan suit and report back

Curse

New

Post by Curse » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SomewhatLearnedHand wrote:It really cant be more simple for guys. Wear a navy or dark charcoal suit. Wear a white shirt with a spread or point collar and red/blue tie with a conservative pattern. Button down collar looks bad. Wear black cap toe oxfords with matching belt (can get away with dark brown oxfords, but ultra conservative places you should really just play it safe with black). And for the love of god just wear socks that match your suit color.
+1 on the socks. Once had someone told me that the only thing interviewers should remember about your attire is that you didn't mess it up.
Um? no? this is so wrong. Socks generally match the shoes and belt, NOT the suit. If you match your navy suit with navy socks but are wearing black shoes / belt, you look like an idiot.

Standard:
Navy or charcoal suit / black shoes, black socks, black belt
Navy suit / brown shoes, navy socks, brown belt
Light grey suit / brown shoes, light grey socks, brown belt

le6f

New

Post by le6f » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Um? no? this is so wrong. Socks generally match the shoes and belt, NOT the suit. If you match your navy suit with navy socks but are wearing black shoes / belt, you look like an idiot.

Standard:
Navy or charcoal suit / black shoes, black socks, black belt
Navy suit / brown shoes, navy socks, brown belt
Light grey suit / brown shoes, light grey socks, brown belt
I am one of the anons that posted above and we are on the same page with this, I just didn't fully explain what I meant. I was referring to not wearing flashy/patterned socks instead of those that blended in with your outfit. Navy socks with black shoes is such a basic no-no that it didn't even cross my mind that my message could be interpreted that way.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Curse

New

Post by Curse » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:03 pm

gotcha, i agree, just trying to account for clueless 1ls

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:06 pm

Y'all are overthinking this too much.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:36 pm

glitched wrote:Y'all are overthinking this way way too much.

ivankinghk

New

Post by ivankinghk » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:38 pm

stay original man.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”