academic positions non-professor Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

academic positions non-professor

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:07 pm

It seems like most academic posts on here are for career paths that lead to becoming a professor. I am interested in academic research, but not necessarily one of those fellowships that are focused on teaching. I want to research, develop my ideas, write papers, publish, etc. I'm neutral about teaching, I don't care for it but I can do it if necessary. I am interested in either working for a university, or any organization where my job would be research and writing focused, but from a theory standpoint rather than on immediate cases.

Outside the legal field, I've seen a lot of academic research and writing positions like PhDs and praedocs, post-docs, or general research positions at Universities etc. What are some equivalent positions in the legal field? Or non-university positions that would involve this?

Jchance

Silver

Re: academic positions non-professor

Post by Jchance » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:42 pm

consider looking into research fellows at think tanks (university-affiliate or non-university-affiliate)

Anonymous User

Re: academic positions non-professor

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I want to research, develop my ideas, write papers, publish, etc. I'm neutral about teaching, I don't care for it but I can do it if necessary.
This is pretty much the default for lots and lots and lots of professors. Teaching is the necessary evil that gets you the position where you’re paid to write. The Climenko fellowship at Harvard (and other similar ones at Chicago and elsewhere, I forget their names) are teaching-focused only as a means of funding you; the purpose/goal is for you to publish.
Outside the legal field, I've seen a lot of academic research and writing positions like PhDs and praedocs, post-docs, or general research positions at Universities etc. What are some equivalent positions in the legal field? Or non-university positions that would involve this?
Look at what you’ve seen outside the legal field and think about what the legal equivalent would be. There are a lot of “general research” positions in STEM fields where the model is for a head publisher (PI) to get grants to fund people to do the research that gets written up under the PI’s name. This is much less common in humanities-type fields unless you can get attached to a research institute in a particular field. They’re all still very competitive jobs.

The think tank suggestion works, but many (not all) will expect a PhD if they’re looking for an advanced degree. It’s also not as easy as it sounds to find these jobs. But look for job listings aimed at PhD students in relevant fields, you might find them there. (H-Net maintains posts for history research positions, for instance, and the various professional associations for poli sci etc PhDs will too.)

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”