How far is too far to travel for ONE screener? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How far is too far to travel for ONE screener?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:32 pm

Title says it all. What do you think?

Anonymous User

Re: How far is too far to travel for ONE screener?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:35 pm

Personally I would not be opposed to a 2-3 hour drive, but I wouldn't drive more than that unless the firm is willing to reimburse, and I definitely wouldn't get a plane ticket for just a screener (again, unless the firm is willing to reimburse - unlikely for a simple screener).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:08 pm

How much will it cost, how much money do you have, how much do you want/need the job, what are your other employment options?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Title says it all. What do you think?
Probably depends a lot on your school, rank, what market it is (and how much you want that market...i.e. I'd be more willing for your top choice market that happens to be smaller). Given that it's still July I guess I'd be less desperate and would probably be less willing to pay for travel, but if it's your top choice market and doesn't have a ton of available jobs...

That said...don't forget that you can use this as an opportunity to drum up additional interviews. Call recruiters at other firms in area and say you'll be in area for an interview with another firm and would like to come in for an interview if possible. This accomplishes three things (1) you're telling them they don't have to pay to bring you in; (2) you're showing interest in the area; and (3) you're showing that you're desirable because another firm is interviewing you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”