How long after?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How long after?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:47 pm

Graduated in may and taking the bar here in a few weeks

Cum laude at a t40 / no job / no debt

Would it be crazy to go on vacation for a month and then try to find work or should I be applying to everything right now and start whatever I can get right after the bar

Anonymous User

Re: How long after?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:38 pm

Anyone?

malibustacy

Bronze

Postby malibustacy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:40 pm

What have you been doing until now? Your permanent job search should have started months, maybe even over a year ago.

If you've tardied until now, why not take a vacation. It doesn't matter too much. Focus on the bar. You don't have any debt. If you have money to blow on vacation, it's your call.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:51 pm

Would it be crazy to go on vacation for a month and then try to find work or should I be applying to everything right now and start whatever I can get right after the bar

I didn't have a job offer in the fall of my 3L year, and spent pretty much all of my 3L panicking until I finally did get an offer in the spring. I can't imagine graduating without a job and considering "going on vacation for a month" and then studying for the bar and then applying.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:43 am

Good thing you have no debt. But if i were you, i would study hard for the bar and get myself a job before any vacation because the longer you wait the harder it gets. Remember, you are competing with tons of law grad in the market. It literally took me 1 year,with a little bit luck, to find my first job. I consider myself lucky, i know lots of my classmates are still looking.

good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:38 am

I’ve applied to a bunch of jobs just haven’t heard anything

I kind of just assumed small firms are more likely to hire after the bar or even after bar results

I was cum laude at a t40 so I didn’t target big/respectable mid sized firms

And by vaca I mean a two week post bar trip

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:40 am

You could also apply for everything right now and if you get something before the bar exam negotiate not starting until after you take your bar trip.

Return to “Legal Employment?