Working with more than one recruiter

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Working with more than one recruiter

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:43 pm

I know there have been several posts regarding this but wanted to see if there are any different perspectives.

I was contacted by a recruiter who seemed very responsive at first, but after sending my resume and grades, s/he has not been as helpful.

I don’t think my grades/resume would hurt me to be honest. And I’m working in a very “in demand” field.

As many of us do, I have 2-3 recruiters contact me on my work email and LinkedIn daily.

How much longer should I wait for this recruiter to respond before moving onto a more responsive recruiter? I’d rather have him/her say that they can’t help me at this time rather than being ignored.

I’m planning on being in the target market for a week at the end of the month for personal reasons and I was hoping to have interviews set up then but at this rate, I don’t think it’s possible.

Should I just reach out to the other recruiters to see if there is anything, or just wait and see?

Anonymous User

Re: Working with more than one recruiter

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:38 am

Yeah they will never tell you they’re not interested because it’s to their benefit to have as many possible resumes to submit as possible.

Find a better recruiter and tell them you’re going to work with antoher recruiter, please send a full list of firms you have been submitted to, and please do not take any further actions on your behalf.

objctnyrhnr

Postby objctnyrhnr » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah they will never tell you they’re not interested because it’s to their benefit to have as many possible resumes to submit as possible.

Find a better recruiter and tell them you’re going to work with antoher recruiter, please send a full list of firms you have been submitted to, and please do not take any further actions on your behalf.

This is good advice, but I handled it slightly differently. I told the recruiter (in writing) that I wanted to personally discuss and approve every potential opening that they were considering submitting me to. This way, I could supplement my first recruiter with networking as well as my other recruiter.

So then I got another recruiter who I felt had more inside relationships with partners and the like.

I successfully used both recruiters during my job search and it was good because, for example, when the more experienced recruiter took time off due to a death in the family, I leaned more heavily on the other one.

Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:51 pm

Just use multiple recruiters? Maybe manage it such that you're not going to have duplicative resumes submitted (although IDK why that would even matter that much) to a given firm, but I see no downside to it otherwise.

Return to “Legal Employment?