JAG and journal

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

JAG and journal

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:56 pm

So as background I go to a school ranked in the mid 30s (although I've read school rank doesn't matter as much for JAG) , I'm mid pack of my class right now (rising 2L) and I'm debating about journal. So I've been offered a spot on one of my school's secondary journals but it was the one I put as my last ranked option. Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has insight on to the impact of journal on a JAG application? I would much rather spend more time focusing on getting my grades up or finding an externship for the Fall than work on this journal that I have absolutely zero interest in, but I don't want to put myself in a corner.

Anonymous User

Re: JAG and journal

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:36 pm

Idk how much this helps, but I was at a mid-t13 and was on a secondary journal (albeit the top journal in its subject area in the country). A classmate of mine got Navy Jag 3L year while on the journal. This classmate said having the journal was helpful in his/her interviews.

Backload

New

Postby Backload » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So as background I go to a school ranked in the mid 30s (although I've read school rank doesn't matter as much for JAG) , I'm mid pack of my class right now (rising 2L) and I'm debating about journal. So I've been offered a spot on one of my school's secondary journals but it was the one I put as my last ranked option. Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has insight on to the impact of journal on a JAG application? I would much rather spend more time focusing on getting my grades up or finding an externship for the Fall than work on this journal that I have absolutely zero interest in, but I don't want to put myself in a corner.

It might be better to post the JAG long forum to have better site on your post. But if you do journal, be sure to get a leadership position your 3L year. JAGs want to be sure you can be a leader, so journal is a good place to get that especially if it lacking elsewhere on your resume.

JHP

Bronze

Postby JHP » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:22 am

Anecdotally, my friend in JAG did not do any journal but was a student leader in our law school government. They did more experiential stuff like clinics, which I think is more helpful for JAG work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:58 pm

If your issue with your journal is that it's not a "top secondary" I wouldn't worry about that FWIW. Non-academics don't know/care what the "top secondary journals" are. It's #1 law review, then everything else is the same

Return to “Legal Employment�