DOJ SLIP or Honors under Trump

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
paisa_sandia

New

DOJ SLIP or Honors under Trump

Postby paisa_sandia » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:55 pm

Rising 2L here considering applying to SLIP this upcoming cycle. As someone with a decidedly left-leaning politics, I’m curious the degree to which the DOJ’s work portfolio, particularly in the CRT, is affected by the politics of the current administration.

Of course, I’m familiar with the fact that most DOJ attorneys are career staff, but I’m interested if anyone who has worked there has insight into how the head honcho affects the quality and value of an internship or full-time position.

I’m aware that in many ways an internship with DOJ is useful no matter what, but I’d like to know if people have personal anecdotes or other advice. Thanks peeps.

Anonymous User

Re: DOJ SLIP or Honors under Trump

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:43 am

Current DOJ SLIP intern (in a non-political office). I can't really speak to how Honors has changed, but SLIP hasn't really. Most offices' workloads haven't changed much, even from talking to interns who are in more political offices. And your work as a SLIP intern is going to be the usual - writing briefs/memos, helping attorneys with random stuff, etc. The only major difference is that the # of positions for both programs is down, but less people (presumably) will be interested in applying, so who knows what'll happen...

Return to “Legal Employment?