Asking for more time to accept an offer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Asking for more time to accept an offer

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:11 pm

Hi all, I was given an offer from a big firm in a major market, although its office in that market is small. I am waiting on a few more options and want to ask this firm for more time to accept. I was initially given two weeks, which will run out at the end of this week. I have known plenty of people who have done this but want to know what's the best way to go about it. My official start date would not be until the fall.

Advice is appreciated, thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Asking for more time to accept an offer

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:21 pm

bump

Wolverine32

New

Re: Asking for more time to accept an offer

Postby Wolverine32 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:15 am

Having been in this spot, the best option for you is to accept asap and then let them know you will unfortunately have to leave after you are all inked up at firm 2. May sound a little aggressive to a law school student, but firms would rescind if it made business sense (assuming your firm 1 is like the rest of them re at will, maintaining optionality to let you go as needed or desirable...as if there were a downturn). I didn’t do this (ignorance), but is how employment works...just have a good, non-monetary reason why you decided to do it and the bridge to firm 1 remains intact.

Return to “Legal Employment?