Which firms don't give first years their own offices? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
blackhawk2020

New

Which firms don't give first years their own offices?

Post by blackhawk2020 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:33 pm

As I work on my OCI bids I have an extremely important questions, which firms and in which cities make first years share an office?

uncle_rico

New

Re: Which firms don't give first years their own offices?

Post by uncle_rico » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:39 pm

blackhawk2020 wrote:As I work on my OCI bids I have an extremely important questions, which firms and in which cities make first years share an office?
Most firms make first years share offices, and some share offices even as third years

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:41 pm

blackhawk2020 wrote:As I work on my OCI bids I have an extremely important questions, which firms and in which cities make first years share an office?
I know of zero LA firms that require first years to share offices.

smokeylarue

Silver

Post by smokeylarue » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:41 pm

uncle_rico wrote:
Most firms make first years share offices, and some share offices even as third years
Not true. Everyone gets their own office in LA (most firms at least). I think sharing offices is mostly a NYC thing.

uncle_rico

New

Post by uncle_rico » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:57 pm

smokeylarue wrote:
uncle_rico wrote:
Not true. Everyone gets their own office in LA (most firms at least). I think sharing offices is mostly a NYC thing.
You’re right, I should’ve added the caveat that I was talking about NY

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Toni V

Bronze

Post by Toni V » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:37 pm

Everyone I know in Atlanta has their own office. Only complaints I’ve heard; interior office, glass walls.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: I think Weil or Paul Weiss are more likely than V5. Can’t speak to experience at S&C but they’ve run out of ways to cut costs over here at DPW re perks and staff. Zero chance we pay more than we have to
Can you be more precise. Where exactly did DPW cut costs re perks for associates?
You would get a shorter answer if you asked the opposite question.
Where did not DPW cut costs re perks for associates?
Would like to know about this (DPW cutting costs re perks) too, please. Can any DPW folks chime in?
Mid level here, corporate. I wouldn’t really say it’s accurate that perks have been cut back, they just never grew commensurate with our peers. The actual cuts have been in the support staff.

Some examples: our seamless budget is lower than our peers ($25 versus $35). They recently imposed a cap on callback lunches with 2Ls. Our high deductible health insurance deal kinda sucks but more firms are moving that way (but as counter point, S&C gets free health insurance). If we take a black car home at 8:15 instead of 8:30, we get a call from accounting asking why (even if we billed 10 hours+ that day). Our office situation for a lot of corporate groups is horrendous. We have senior associates (including 6th years) who still don’t have their own offices. Slightly different for litigators as there are less of them. They’re currently building internal offices but that will take some time to complete. Our laptops are legit from pre-2012 and the batttry life reflects that. We need to make special requests to enable the tethering on our firm phones for a specific period of time. Our holiday party is in the cafeteria. Many of our other social events are in the conference rooms, I think only the bigger summer events go offsite. We recently just got a tech stipend after associates committee complained for several years, but it still lags behind our peers who give a high dollar amount or reimburse home office expenses outright. Other instances of general cheapness and patronizing shit (e.g., M&A partners annoyed that people aren’t at their desks at 9:30 and now associates now up and down the seniority chain are being called in one by one and told to get to office earlier)

On the staff, first they got rid of assistants for all junior and mid level associates and moved to a shared pod system, which is in line with many firms. But then they replaced almost all of the non-partner assistants with non-DPW temp workers. They usually do shit work and aren’t reliable (prob cuz they get paid like shit with no benefits). Also, those temp assistants now walk around the floors every morning with a clipboard to mark who is in the office. There’s a legitimate reason why they need to do that but its irritating nonetheless. Then they made huge cuts to our word processing department to the point where it can take 1-2 days for simple formatting requests.

Tl;dr We’re not raising salaries unless Cravath makes us
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... #p10315274

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:23 pm

In Chicago you'll have your own office. Winston puts you in an interior office for a year. Not sure about the others.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:56 pm

uncle_rico wrote:
That’s only a NY thing imo. Maybe DC? Every single big firm in Chicago without exception first years have their own office. Might be interior but it’s your own office either way.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
uncle_rico wrote:
That’s only a NY thing imo. Maybe DC? Every single big firm in Chicago without exception first years have their own office. Might be interior but it’s your own office either way.
First years in DC also have their own offices. Interior for a couple years isn’t uncommon though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I know of zero LA firms that require first years to share offices.
Paul Hastings and milbank

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:33 am

Boston firms generally have first and second years share offices. It's very annoying for phone calls.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:07 am

Any firms in NYC that give first years their own office?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any firms in NYC that give first years their own office?
A large majority of NYC firms are moving to the pool model for offices and not just for first years.

In contrast, my DC firm gives first years their own office with exterior windows.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:31 am

I didn't mind sharing an office my first year. You dont know what you're doing 99% of the time so it helps (now I don't know what I'm doing 80% of the time).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
A large majority of NYC firms are moving to the pool model for offices and not just for first years.
What??? Is this real? (DC associate asking.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
What??? Is this real? (DC associate asking.)
Between my law school friends, it seems around 15 out of the v20 either have juniors already pooled or plans to do so in the immediate future. At least a good chunk of those still have shared offices for 4th and 5th years.

NYC sucks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:39 pm

Saying this as an NYC second-year: I loved having an officemate throughout my first year. It's someone you can bounce all your stupid questions off of, if you want a quick second take on something, etc. The only time it's a pain in the ass is when you both need to be on the phone at the same time.

That said, full disclosure, I expect to have an officemate well into my third year. I should have my own office after that.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”