DOT Honors Hiring for 2019 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

DOT Honors Hiring for 2019

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:11 pm

I am a DOT Honors Recruiter who has posted in the past (threads: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... dot+honors and http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... dot+honors.

DOT is experimenting with recruiting annually rather than biannually, and will be recruiting for the Class of 2019. Since we just received approval, we are scrambling to get postings up. Anyone interested should look out for late adds for OCI/consortia that may have already posted employers.

As always, I will be willing to answer questions to the extent that I can in this thread. See the other threads for some commonly asked questions that I might have answered already.

Anonymous User

Re: DOT Honors Hiring for 2019

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:28 pm

Do you have any insight as to why DOT has decided to hire for 2019 as well? Are there any major changes to the program or is everything else substantially similar?

Fireworks2016

Bronze

Post by Fireworks2016 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do you have any insight as to why DOT has decided to hire for 2019 as well? Are there any major changes to the program or is everything else substantially similar?

Would also like to see these questions answered. Does this mean there are likely only 4-5 slots? (You previously indicated 8-10 when recruiting biannually).

What's the timeline this year? When does the posting open?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:19 pm

OP here. The program as a whole will remain the same. The switch to annual recruiting will reduce the class size as the last poster suggested. So each year DOT will aim to hire 4 honors attorneys. The program will still be 2 years long, and there will still be 8 honors attorneys rotating at any one time. The major impetus was the realization that missing out on entire classes of qualified applicants was unnecessary, and we needed to make the administrative adjustment to hire annually and run 2 classes at the same time.

The one major structural change to make this work from the honors attorney perspective is that all program participants will be required to complete 6 full rotations over 2 years, rather than having the option to transition to a full-time position at any point after the first full year of 3 rotations. The actual transition process will still be the same, in that all parts of the Department will provide information on upcoming or existing attorney vacancies, and honors attorneys will have priority for filling those spots before the vacancies become public. Now, however, that process will occur during the last few months at the end of year 2, as opposed to over the entire course of year 2.

In terms of timing, the recruiting coordinators are beginning to reach out to schools this week, so you should start seeing postings soon. The overall application window closes on August 31, with exceptions for OCI programs that DOT attends on-campus in early September. The basic recruiting timeline will stay the same, with callbacks in late October/early November, and a goal to extend offers by the end of November.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:45 pm

Bumping now that interviews have started.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:10 pm

Anyone have an idea of when we should expect to hear about second-round interviews or how many they are doing now that the program is much smaller? Also does anyone know if DOT covers travel expenses for second-round interviews?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:33 pm

OP here. My understanding is that there will be around 40 second round interviews for 4 positions. The hiring committee started reviewing applicants last week, and will likely be sending out second round invitations over the next 2-3 weeks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. My understanding is that there will be around 40 second round interviews for 4 positions. The hiring committee started reviewing applicants last week, and will likely be sending out second round invitations over the next 2-3 weeks.
Thanks so much for the update! I will be keeping my fingers crossed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:57 pm

I had a screener interview about 2 weeks ago. Has anyone heard back about callback interviews?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had a screener interview about 2 weeks ago. Has anyone heard back about callback interviews?
No news here and starting to get very discouraged

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I had a screener interview about 2 weeks ago. Has anyone heard back about callback interviews?
No news here and starting to get very discouraged
No news here, but I am trying to stay positive for another week or so. The waiting game is the hardest part (other than you know, silent rejection).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:53 pm

Still no news. I looked at the thread from last year, and it looks like the callbacks were sent out in a few waves, ending roughly by late September/ early October.

So I guess not all hope is lost yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Still no news. I looked at the thread from last year, and it looks like the callbacks were sent out in a few waves, ending roughly by late September/ early October.

So I guess not all hope is lost yet?
I still have some hope since I haven't seen any posts indicating that second round interview offers have gone out yet, but there seem to be fewer people on the threads this year so it is difficult to know if other non-TLS users have already heard. And it doesn't really inspire confidence that you won't get formally rejected until like January if you are not selected to move on to the next round

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:00 pm

I was hoping for news today, but it's looking less likely as the day goes on. Anyone have any kind of update or information regarding the timeline?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:28 pm

OP here. Second round interviews were pushed back to mid/late-October. So that may delay notifications to this week or next.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Second round interviews were pushed back to mid/late-October. So that may delay notifications to this week or next.
Thank you for the update! I assumed it was a lost cause, so I am glad to hear that is not the case

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:48 am

Got the email for second round interviews yesterday afternoon

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

2019grad

New

Post by 2019grad » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got the email for second round interviews yesterday afternoon
Safe to assume if you haven't received such an email by now you did not make the cut?

2019grad

New

Post by 2019grad » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:23 am

???

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:31 pm

2019grad wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got the email for second round interviews yesterday afternoon
Safe to assume if you haven't received such an email by now you did not make the cut?
From past year's threads, it seems that if you have not received an interview invite at this point, you probably will not receive one moving forward. It's not totally over until you actually get a rejection letter, but I would be surprised if got an interview at this point. Sorry

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:57 pm

I just discovered this thread. I'm hoping I am not too late to ask a question. I have my second round interview this Friday. It seems there's only a 10% chance of being selected (4 out o 40). Makes it seem almost impossible that i'll be selected (not from a top school). Is there anything I can do to stand out? I really want this opportunity. Anyone remember the specific questions they asked? I get very nervous during interviews and would like to practice my answers beforehand.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:I just discovered this thread. I'm hoping I am not too late to ask a question. I have my second round interview this Friday. It seems there's only a 10% chance of being selected (4 out o 40). Makes it seem almost impossible that i'll be selected (not from a top school). Is there anything I can do to stand out? I really want this opportunity. Anyone remember the specific questions they asked? I get very nervous during interviews and would like to practice my answers beforehand.
Have interviewed with DOT Honors this round, so this is fresh. Got to talk to my group of interviewees that day (you spend the last part of the interview with a current DOT attorney and the other interviewees) and the experiences varied - KJDs and people with 10+ years of work experience; biglaw and nonprofits; etc... They didnt really seem to care too much about school prestige (the day I interviewed there were people from all range of schools from T14 to schools that I think are ranked lower 100 in USN) so I wouldnt worry about that too much. They seemed to be very interested in why we wanted to do government work - I dont recall any specific questions but I remember talking about this a lot. Along those lines, they seemed to love my talking about volunteer work. Be prepared to talk about any volunteer work, about your writing sample (they only asked me vague questions but it seemed like one of the other interviewees spent a bit of time on this) and why you have an interest in gov't work. If you have anything that stands out on your transcript be able to talk about (I took a strangely-titled course that seemed to come up in all my gov't interviews).

I hope this helps! Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:27 pm

Well, interviews are finally over. They hope to get offers out by the end of the month, but it looks like they didn't come out until January for this past cycle. Anyone have any additional information on when we should expect to hear back or how the selection process works from here?

veneboy

New

Post by veneboy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:41 pm

I feel like this year it's going to take longer because there are only 4 positions open. I still can't believe they interview 40 candidates! Just so you know, i felt like my interview went horribly. So that should leave only 39 people still in the running. Lol. Also, doesn't make much sense to interview candidates with so many different interviewers. Not very standardized.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:48 pm

veneboy wrote:I feel like this year it's going to take longer because there are only 4 positions open. I still can't believe they interview 40 candidates! Just so you know, i felt like my interview went horribly. So that should leave only 39 people still in the running. Lol. Also, doesn't make much sense to interview candidates with so many different interviewers. Not very standardized.
If it makes you feel any better, I felt like mine went pretty horribly as well. I don't know very much about administrative law and I felt like that's what my interviewer spent most of the time discussing and it was clear I wasn't very prepared to talk about it. My other interviewer just didn't seem to like me very much. She didn't seem amused by any of the jokes I tried to make to lighten the mood and I just felt like I was really messing it up. So it's not just you!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”