How do you tell if a callback went well or not? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How do you tell if a callback went well or not?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:25 am

I can see how it would be easy to have completely pleasant conversations with each partner, and then still not get an offer. So how does one tell if things went well?

Anonymous User

Re: How do you tell if a callback went well or not?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:38 am

You don’t. You move onto the next thing and don’t think about it after it’s done.

(If there are specific answers you gave that you wish had been different, sure, think about how to improve. But you can’t know what the outcome is going to be because you don’t have the info you need - what’s going on with them - so just put it out of your mind and don’t wonder/worry about whether you did well or not. You could do amazing and still not get the offer; you could walk out feeling savaged and get the job. You just don’t know.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:13 am

I think getting an offer is a good indication the callback was good

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:12 pm

Lateraling is hard. It’s extremely emotionally draining. Unfortunately, numbers wise, it’s very unlikely that you actually got a job after each specific interview. I’ve gotten really good feedback during the interview and still not gotten the offer.

Agree with above poster that after every callback, you have to assume you didn’t get it and move on mentally.

So much easier said than done

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:05 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:Lateraling is hard. It’s extremely emotionally draining. Unfortunately, numbers wise, it’s very unlikely that you actually got a job after each specific interview. I’ve gotten really good feedback during the interview and still not gotten the offer.

Agree with above poster that after every callback, you have to assume you didn’t get it and move on mentally.

What kind of lateral move are you trying to make and how long have you been trying?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote:Lateraling is hard. It’s extremely emotionally draining. Unfortunately, numbers wise, it’s very unlikely that you actually got a job after each specific interview. I’ve gotten really good feedback during the interview and still not gotten the offer.

What kind of lateral move are you trying to make and how long have you been trying?
Been trying 6 months in my medium to large market. I’ve been somewhat picky due to t20 school and fedclerk in a competitive market. I haven’t been in BL before, and have been in govt for a couple years following clerkship. Have been deep in the process at a few different places, but I am only getting interviews at maybe 1/3 of amlaw200s I apply to (and that’s with a heavy dose of networking coupled with a recruiter I trust). I suppose my concern is that I’m just gonna run out of amlaw100 or 200 firms in my area.

How about you?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”