How can I be sure to land biglaw? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How can I be sure to land biglaw?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:17 pm

I finished in the top third (probably right around top 33%) of a T25. I am willing to work in any major market. Do I need to mass mail every large firm in every major market? Is relying on OCI a death sentence? I interview very well fwiw - probably top 5% of the population lol.

ur_hero

Bronze

Re: How can I be sure to land biglaw?

Post by ur_hero » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:27 pm

I think the best answer is that you should do everything that you can. You're probably pretty well-situated to land some interviews with some big firms at the least, but sometimes people just get unlucky and its a matter of being seen by the right people at the right time. Therefore, cast a wide net and put as much time/effort as you reasonably can into setting yourself up from the start. Seems like OCI will go well enough for you, but best to put any anxiety to rest you may have over whether you could be doing more. This may also be the difference between simply landing anywhere that will take you versus finding the best opportunity suited to your interest.

gregfootball2001

Silver

Post by gregfootball2001 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I finished in the top third (probably right around top 33%) of a T25. I am willing to work in any major market. Do I need to mass mail every large firm in every major market? Is relying on OCI a death sentence? I interview very well fwiw - probably top 5% of the population lol.
Just "mass mail[ing] every large firm in every major market" probably won't work too well. You're also going to need to think of some pretty convincing reasons why you want to work for that firm, in that market. A firm in Atlanta or Texas or Seattle is going to want some sort of ties to the city/state. That being said, sure, paper NYC, DC, and wherever your law school is with resumes - can't hurt. Network with alumni. Get out there and talk to people. Regardless, however much of a wunderkind you think you are at interviewing, your stats are a little low depending on the school. Don't put all your eggs in the biglaw basket.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:47 pm

OP here. first, thanks for the responses, i really appreciate it.

i have sufficient ties to most of the major legal markets aside from Atlanta and anything in Texas. but i am kind of confused as to how the whole pre-OCI mailing thing works. should i be mailing the generic recruiting mailboxes or targeting specific people within the firm? do i include resume and cover letter or is it more of an introduction/feeler email to begin with?

my rank puts me right on the bubble for BL - i am very worried about totally striking out at OCI (i.e. not even getting screeners)

Toni V

Bronze

Post by Toni V » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:51 pm

What is the OCI firm participation rate at a non-T14 school?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:54 pm

Toni V wrote:What is the OCI firm participation rate at a non-T14 school?
my non-t-14 OCI employer list is pretty damn awesome..... to what extent those firms actually hire from my school is probably a much different story.

Toni V

Bronze

Post by Toni V » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
my non-t-14 OCI employer list is pretty damn awesome..... to what extent those firms actually hire from my school is probably a much different story.
And from your awesome list, roughly what % start at 190, or at market in secondary metro markets?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:09 pm

Toni V wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
And from your awesome list, roughly what % start at 190, or at market in secondary metro markets?

my school is in NY, BOS, or DC. Lots of participating firms meet that criteria, but again, that does not mean they are actually hiring anyone lol

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:30 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Toni V

Bronze

Post by Toni V » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote: my school is in NY, BOS, or DC. Lots of participating firms meet that criteria, but again, that does not mean they are actually hiring anyone lol
Perhaps, but when a firm takes the time and goes to the expense of being on campus, why wouldn’t they seriously consider hiring?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:33 pm

Toni V wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: my school is in NY, BOS, or DC. Lots of participating firms meet that criteria, but again, that does not mean they are actually hiring anyone lol
Perhaps, but when a firm takes the time and goes to the expense of being on campus, why wouldn’t they seriously consider hiring?
Umm no, considering many law schools pay firms to show up at their oci.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Toni V wrote:

^absolutely untrue. No law school would (or could) pay an employer to come; that would be a waste of the employers' time if they're not interested in hiring and it would be a huge disservice to students. Employers spent time and money (registration fees and the cost of associates and partners' time) to be at OCI. They don't go unless they're at least open to the possibility of hiring at least one summer associate from that school.

Toni V

Bronze

Post by Toni V » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Toni V wrote:
I have heard of [smaller] firms not attending because of the attendance fee charged by the school. Never realized that a school would pay a firm to attend — in an odd way that might make some sort of sense for a non-14 school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:53 pm

Toni V wrote:
They want to maintain the good relationship with the school and be able to hire a token 1-2 top people, maybe.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:30 pm

Here's my understanding:

the SUPER elite firms DO want to interview the very top of the class (maybe like top 1-5%).....but in order to participate in the OCI, they are required to interview at least X number of kids...thus, many of the interviews are 100% meaningless

Toni V

Bronze

Post by Toni V » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Here's my understanding:

the SUPER elite firms DO want to interview the very top of the class (maybe like top 1-5%).....but in order to participate in the OCI, they are required to interview at least X number of kids...thus, many of the interviews are 100% meaningless
Even at the 14 many of the OCI interviews turn out to be meaningless/non-starters.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:14 pm

Toni V wrote:

Even at the 14 many of the OCI interviews turn out to be meaningless/non-starters.
True. At my t13, employers don't get to pre-screen for grades, so when you walk into a screener, that's the first time the firm would see your grades.

Every year there's a story of someone biddin on and getting a Wachtell screener that doesn't have the grades for it, and basically being asked "what would you like to talk about for the next 20 minutes, because you don't have the grades for us to consider you."

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Toni V wrote:
You're wrong. The firms pay the school to come to OCI, so that they can see a bunch of applicants at once.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Toni V wrote:
You're wrong. The firms pay the school to come to OCI, so that they can see a bunch of applicants at once.
Not always. Schools outside of the t13, with some specific ones doing it much more than others, pay firms to attend their OCI to make it look better for potential students. I have heard of at least 1 top 20ish school doing this and a lot of t3/t4 schools do as well. Take it for a grain of salt, I dont have first-hand knowledge of this myself.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:47 pm

I worked as an office assistant at a top 30 school before going to law school, and one of my jobs was running the logistics for OCI. Can confirm that it's not standard for schools to pay firms and I've never heard of it happening.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Toni V wrote:
Not always. Schools outside of the t13, with some specific ones doing it much more than others, pay firms to attend their OCI to make it look better for potential students. I have heard of at least 1 top 20ish school doing this and a lot of t3/t4 schools do as well. Take it for a grain of salt, I dont have first-hand knowledge of this myself.
See posted above. Yes, always.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:20 pm

OP, If I were you I would mass-mail literally every firm on the Am200. All New York firms, all SF/LA firms, all Chicago firms. State that you have ties to those areas

If you are serious about it, exhaust every possible option. Set aside 5 hours a day and apply to firms via mass-mail or their website portal. You should aim for 30 applications a day

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:23 pm

Can totally confirm. Transferred from a TTT to T10 and had some interviews (lottery system) with V10s, and could tell I didn't stand a chance

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP, If I were you I would mass-mail literally every firm on the Am200. All New York firms, all SF/LA firms, all Chicago firms. State that you have ties to those areas

If you are serious about it, exhaust every possible option. Set aside 5 hours a day and apply to firms via mass-mail or their website portal. You should aim for 30 applications a day

OP here. What would be a better use of my time - doing as you suggested above, or trying to find and email particular attorneys at the firm that I may have some sort of tenuous connection to (such as the same alma mater or w/e) and try to go from there?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP, If I were you I would mass-mail literally every firm on the Am200. All New York firms, all SF/LA firms, all Chicago firms. State that you have ties to those areas

OP here. What would be a better use of my time - doing as you suggested above, or trying to find and email particular attorneys at the firm that I may have some sort of tenuous connection to (such as the same alma mater or w/e) and try to go from there?
Both. Mass mail, then reach out to alumni for informational interviews after you’ve applied. You can use that informational interview as an opportunity to mention that you’ve already applied. If they like you, they may put in a good word with the recruiter.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”