References: who to include and alerting people that you want to leave Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

References: who to include and alerting people that you want to leave

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:48 am

So—I was filling out an application yesterday and it asked for 3 references. In that moment, I realized that my best references likely won’t come from partners. There are a couple really senior counsel who I think would be better references for me but I’m not sure how that would look to the prospective employer. Any insight??

Also, how did you feel about alerting people at your firm (who you want to be references for you) that you’re applying for jobs? If you don’t get the job then it will probably feel terrible to have put them on notice that you want to leave.

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Re: References: who to include and alerting people that you want to leave

Post by tyroneslothrop1 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:53 pm

Generally speaking, you should not inform anyone at your current job that you have listed them as a reference or are looking for a different job. Unless they are for some reason supportive of you looking elsewhere, it burns bridges otherwise. When I moved, I listed my supervising partner with the understanding a prospective firm would not contact them unless an offer was about to be extended.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:03 pm

tyroneslothrop1 wrote:Generally speaking, you should not inform anyone at your current job that you have listed them as a reference or are looking for a different job. Unless they are for some reason supportive of you looking elsewhere, it burns bridges otherwise. When I moved, I listed my supervising partner with the understanding a prospective firm would not contact them unless an offer was about to be extended.
This makes a lot of sense. I had a friend ask her reference (before listing them) whether he would give her a POSITIVE review (for lack of a better word). After learning that, I figured getting assurance from your reference was a good idea. Would you not recommend that then?

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:11 pm

Relatedly, how would it look to put somebody who is maybe a year or two above you (with whom you’re quite close) in lieu of a supervisor? Doing something like that would risk jeopardizing an offer, would it?

worklifewhat

New

Post by worklifewhat » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:17 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:Relatedly, how would it look to put somebody who is maybe a year or two above you (with whom you’re quite close) in lieu of a supervisor? Doing something like that would risk jeopardizing an offer, would it?
So do you mean if the slightly senior person hasn’t ever worked with you? Like a friend at the firm?

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:04 pm

worklifewhat wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote:Relatedly, how would it look to put somebody who is maybe a year or two above you (with whom you’re quite close) in lieu of a supervisor? Doing something like that would risk jeopardizing an offer, would it?
So do you mean if the slightly senior person hasn’t ever worked with you? Like a friend at the firm?
Worked alongside you and a friend, but never supervised. Somebody who has observed your work and can speak positively about it...but whose rank is only a year or so above your own. Is it bad to list that person as a reference in lieu of a high-level supervisory person at the entity you’re leaving?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”