Am I totally f***ed Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Am I totally f***ed

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:30 am

Graduated above median from a 40-50 ranked school. Don’t have anything lined up. Haven’t gotten a single interview from the jobs I’ve applied to thus far. Taking the bar next month.

Is doc review in my future?

Anonymous User

Re: Am I totally f***ed

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:05 am

You're not, but it's a lot of work and you have to grind. I went regional T2 with nothing at graduation --> state agency --> biglaw. It's hard but doable.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:36 pm

Any advise on what I can do?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any advise on what I can do?
Do you have any prior work experience that might be relevant to a particular practice area? Family connections? I would just encourage you to apply for any openings that may materialize. That first opportunity can be the hardest, but you just need to keep hustling, networking etc.

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:07 pm

Go rural and west, apply to lots of jobs in lots of places.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:33 pm

andythefir wrote:
I’m not white, does this still apply?

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
andythefir wrote:
I don’t follow. The middle of nowhere place I prosecuted had no black or subcontinent Indian people living in the town, but the DA and PD offices had black and subcontinent Indian folks. Middle of nowhere mountain west is too desperate to care about that kind of thing.

worklifewhat

New

Post by worklifewhat » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:51 pm

andythefir wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
andythefir wrote:
I don’t follow. The middle of nowhere place I prosecuted had no black or subcontinent Indian people living in the town, but the DA and PD offices had black and subcontinent Indian folks. Middle of nowhere mountain west is too desperate to care about that kind of thing.
Did you use the middle of nowhere job as a stepping stone to something else or are you still living there? Do/did you like it there? Do you have ties to the town/state/region you're referring to?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:12 pm

andythefir wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
andythefir wrote:
You don't follow...but your answer seemed to follow.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:38 pm

worklifewhat wrote:
andythefir wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
andythefir wrote:
Did you use the middle of nowhere job as a stepping stone to something else or are you still living there? Do/did you like it there? Do you have ties to the town/state/region you're referring to?
I left my first middle of nowhere job to a 2nd middle of nowhere job after roughly 18 months with a better title and more responsibility, left that job for a dream job after another 18 months.

Everyone, including supervisors, use those jobs as stepping stones. No one stays if they can avoid it. My first office has a 31 year old chief because everyone else split and she had the most experience.

No one in either office I worked had any ties to the place. Some bad ties to the region, most didn’t. Southeast New Mexico had people from Delaware, California, Oklahoma, Indiana, everywhere.

worklifewhat

New

Post by worklifewhat » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:48 pm

andythefir wrote:
worklifewhat wrote:
andythefir wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
andythefir wrote:
I left my first middle of nowhere job to a 2nd middle of nowhere job after roughly 18 months with a better title and more responsibility, left that job for a dream job after another 18 months.

Everyone, including supervisors, use those jobs as stepping stones. No one stays if they can avoid it. My first office has a 31 year old chief because everyone else split and she had the most experience.

No one in either office I worked had any ties to the place. Some bad ties to the region, most didn’t. Southeast New Mexico had people from Delaware, California, Oklahoma, Indiana, everywhere.
So, after three years of work you landed your dream job? Impressive. If you wouldn't mind sharing more details about the positions you held and what you're doing now, I'd *GREATLY* appreciate it. If you don't want to be so public about it, would you mind PMing me?

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:10 pm

I’m not going to detail my current job, but I will say it’s one of the outcomes this site is enthralled with.

My first job was a DA in New Mexico’s southeast corner, then I moved to the southwest corner. New mexico’s Rural DAs offices are always desperate. One actively recruits out of Cooley because it’s the only way to get people with law degrees to go there. We would routinely go down 3+ people in an office of 9 because literally not one resume would come in. We hired a dude (now a supervisor) who graduated from a for profit law school, was working doc review, who had been fired from his job as a prosecutor.

The irony is that being a rural DA is an awesome job. I did 70 trials in my 1st year, got staffed on a murder 6 mo the after passing the bar. Being in the middle of nowhere undoubtedly sucks though. Still, 1 it’s not forever, 2 you’re using your law license, and 3 you get awesome experience.

worklifewhat

New

Post by worklifewhat » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:35 pm

andythefir wrote:I’m not going to detail my current job, but I will say it’s one of the outcomes this site is enthralled with.

My first job was a DA in New Mexico’s southeast corner, then I moved to the southwest corner. New mexico’s Rural DAs offices are always desperate. One actively recruits out of Cooley because it’s the only way to get people with law degrees to go there. We would routinely go down 3+ people in an office of 9 because literally not one resume would come in. We hired a dude (now a supervisor) who graduated from a for profit law school, was working doc review, who had been fired from his job as a prosecutor.

The irony is that being a rural DA is an awesome job. I did 70 trials in my 1st year, got staffed on a murder 6 mo the after passing the bar. Being in the middle of nowhere undoubtedly sucks though. Still, 1 it’s not forever, 2 you’re using your law license, and 3 you get awesome experience.
Was your dream job a government job? I imagine the pay is pretty bad but I suppose you don't do something like that for the pay. With that many trials, how much were you working? Did you feel like you had a life outside of work?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:35 pm

worklifewhat wrote:
Was your dream job a government job? I imagine the pay is pretty bad but I suppose you don't do something like that for the pay. With that many trials, how much were you working? Did you feel like you had a life outside of work?
I made $50 at my first job and $65 at my 2nd. Didn’t work a single weekend. Single count meth possession or DUI don’t require all that much prep. I think my pay was pretty typical, but I think most DAs work longer hours.

worklifewhat

New

Post by worklifewhat » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:32 pm

andythefir wrote:
worklifewhat wrote:
I made $50 at my first job and $65 at my 2nd. Didn’t work a single weekend. Single count meth possession or DUI don’t require all that much prep. I think my pay was pretty typical, but I think most DAs work longer hours.
The long hours thing is the biggest deterrent. I'd like to view a future pay cut as buying back my time, so if I can't do that then that's a hard one. Is your current job equally demanding?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”