2019 Vault 100 Rankings Released Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
hoos89

Gold

Re: 2019 Vault 100 Rankings Released

Post by hoos89 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:55 am

DougEvans789 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are the Above the Law rankings more accurate?
PPP and RPL are the best metrics. Law firms exist to make money. Nothing else matters.
I’ve heard this but always found it kinda curious. As an associate, you’re not an owner of the firm, so why would your first concern be its revenue or profitability? I can’t imagine a non-lawyer would ever pick his company based on its earnings per share or whatever. Especially not if (for some reason) he knew he’d probably never own its stock.
1) it's a sign of the financial stability of the firm (i.e. job security) and 2) higher PPP/RPL means the firm is more likely to match future raises. also a sign that the firm gets high level work and is likely to correlate with exit options.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:05 pm

DougEvans789 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
PPP and RPL are the best metrics. Law firms exist to make money. Nothing else matters.
I’ve heard this but always found it kinda curious. As an associate, you’re not an owner of the firm, so why would your first concern be its revenue or profitability? I can’t imagine a non-lawyer would ever pick his company based on its earnings per share or whatever. Especially not if (for some reason) he knew he’d probably never own its stock.
They all pay the same and do the same stuff. Quality of life is going to be group/partner specific more than any firmwide generalizations. You can do the chambers bands but if the firm isn’t overall profitable you could get screwed anyways on comp and the stability of leaving when you want as opposed to getting canned early.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:11 pm

LaTTTham in the V5 is the silliest thing I've ever heard of

This profession has the shortest term memory in the world

Although DPW definitely deserves the ousting

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Okay, Paul Hastings. I see you. Is PH actually a good place to work (not talking about prestige, I’m talking about the culture, hours, and overall work/life balance)?
consensus seems to be no
Well, shit, what are these rankings even good for? They trick people into making poor decisions.
Well, only stupid people put any weight into these rankings that place Cravath ahead of Wachtell. As someone who's working in biglaw, I would say the more specific Vault rankings (region, practice area, etc) could be helpful to law students. I participated in the Vault survey as well and I can say the overall rankings are just completely useless.

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Okay, Paul Hastings. I see you. Is PH actually a good place to work (not talking about prestige, I’m talking about the culture, hours, and overall work/life balance)?
consensus seems to be no
Well, shit, what are these rankings even good for? They trick people into making poor decisions.
Well, only stupid people put any weight into these rankings that place Cravath ahead of Wachtell. As someone who's working in biglaw, I would say the more specific Vault rankings (region, practice area, etc) could be helpful to law students. I participated in the Vault survey as well and I can say the overall rankings are just completely useless.
It's kind of like USNWR putting Harvard in front of Yale from time to time. The larger institution tends to occupy more mind space.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Milbank is a V10, this list is idiotic
So confused by you. V10 means Vault 10 and we are talking about vault rankings. So either the list is idiotic and you shouldn’t refer to a firm by their vault ranking or it isn’t idiotic and their vault ranking matters.
Noob. V10 doesn't mean shit in the first place.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:28 pm

nealric wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
consensus seems to be no
It's kind of like USNWR putting Harvard in front of Yale from time to time. The larger institution tends to occupy more mind space.
The difference is USNWR never put Harvard in front of Yale. When the rankings first came out in 1987 (or 1988 I'm not sure), they tied.
Also, USNWR is based clearly on selectivity. On the other hand, Vault overall rankings are not based on selectivity either. Vault has a separate selectivity rankings and that's based on selectivity.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:33 pm

DougEvans789 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Whether a firm would match the market bonus or salary is tied closely to those PPP and RPL metrics.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:36 pm

nealric wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
consensus seems to be no
except this has literally never happened

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
nealric wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
consensus seems to be no
The difference is USNWR never put Harvard in front of Yale. When the rankings first came out in 1987 (or 1988 I'm not sure), they tied.
Also, USNWR is based clearly on selectivity. On the other hand, Vault overall rankings are not based on selectivity either. Vault has a separate selectivity rankings and that's based on selectivity.
I'm probably thinking of Stanford :oops: USNWR is largely selectivity, but there's also survey score involved.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:44 pm

nealric wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
nealric wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
consensus seems to be no
I'm probably thinking of Stanford :oops: USNWR is largely selectivity, but there's also survey score involved.
I know this is all silly and trivial stuff. But just to point out, Stanford has never been number 1. TLS has a thread containing historical rankings which I looked at years ago. USNWR have been remarkably stable, especially the top 6.

smokeylarue

Silver

Post by smokeylarue » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I know this is all silly and trivial stuff. But just to point out, Stanford has never been number 1. TLS has a thread containing historical rankings which I looked at years ago. USNWR have been remarkably stable, especially the top 6.
I assume he is talking about the infinitely more famous and important USNews rankings for top colleges. The top schools swap spots all the time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:14 pm

DougEvans789 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Within the same professional industry, usually we value those companies with higher revenues/profits as likely better. Think people mentioning I work at a Fortune 100 or whatever.

I think the only distinction in law is higher aggregate revenue or aggregate profit matter less as there is less added benefit/synergy to being one firm so the per person metrics matter significantly more.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:15 pm

smokeylarue wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: I know this is all silly and trivial stuff. But just to point out, Stanford has never been number 1. TLS has a thread containing historical rankings which I looked at years ago. USNWR have been remarkably stable, especially the top 6.
I assume he is talking about the infinitely more famous and important USNews rankings for top colleges. The top schools swap spots all the time.
That may be it. Have to admit I don't follow USNWR very closely.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:29 pm

The Real Top 5 Most Prestigious Law Firms: (firms with over 100 lawyers)

1. wachtell lipton rosen and katz
2. Williams & Connolly
3. Susman Godfrey
4. Cravath
5. Kirkland

(based on a combination of associate pay, partnership prospects, brand recognition, viable exit options)

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The Real Top 5 Most Prestigious Law Firms: (firms with over 100 lawyers)

1. Wachtell Lipton Rosen and Katz
2. Williams & Connolly
3. Susman Godfrey
4. Cravath
5. Kirkland

(based on a combination of associate pay, partnership prospects, brand recognition, viable exit options)
Kirkland associate detected

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:33 pm

dabigchina wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The Real Top 5 Most Prestigious Law Firms: (firms with over 100 lawyers)

2. Williams & Connolly
3. Susman Godfrey
4. Cravath
5. Kirkland

Except it's true

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:36 pm

dabigchina wrote:

2. Williams & Connolly
3. Susman Godfrey
4. Cravath
5. Kirkland

I'm the anon who posted this ranking. I don't work at Kirkland.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
dabigchina wrote:

2. Williams & Connolly
3. Susman Godfrey
4. Cravath
5. Kirkland

Except it's true
Lol. Equity Partnership prospects are not good at Kirkland or Cravath.

I’d also put Boies above Kirkland. And also Kellog, Keker and Kobre & Kim (since they’re all practically at 100 attorneys)
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
dabigchina wrote:

2. Williams & Connolly
3. Susman Godfrey
4. Cravath
5. Kirkland

Except it's true
MTO

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:40 pm

People have more of an issue with Kirkland than below-market W&C?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:41 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
dabigchina wrote:

2. Williams & Connolly
3. Susman Godfrey
4. Cravath
5. Kirkland

Except it's true

I’d also put Boies above Kirkland.
Equity partnership prospects are not *good* at anywhere that is prestigious enough to be considered here. Prestige comes from working for prestigious clients. Building a book when your clients are institutions like Goldman, KKR, Blackstone, etc etc is extremely difficult.

However, if you are a senior associate at Cravath or a non-share at Kirkland, you will be able to get shares at a slightly lesser firm, or go in-house somewhere excellent - that is the point of prestige, and if you don't see that, you're missing the forest for the trees.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
dabigchina wrote:

2. Williams & Connolly
3. Susman Godfrey
4. Cravath
5. Kirkland

Except it's true

Equity partnership prospects are not *good* at anywhere that is prestigious enough to be considered here. Prestige comes from working for prestigious clients. Building a book when your clients are institutions like Goldman, KKR, Blackstone, etc etc is extremely difficult.

However, if you are a senior associate at Cravath or a non-share at Kirkland, you will be able to get shares at a slightly lesser firm, or go in-house somewhere excellent - that is the point of prestige, and if you don't see that, you're missing the forest for the trees.
Yeah, sorry Kirkland. Proposed revised:

1. wachtell lipton rosen and katz
2. Williams & Connolly
3. Susman Godfrey
4. Kellog Hansen
5. Boies Schiller
6. Cravath

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
dabigchina wrote:

2. Williams & Connolly
3. Susman Godfrey
4. Cravath
5. Kirkland

Except it's true

Yeah, sorry Kirkland. Proposed revised:

2. Williams & Connolly
3. Susman Godfrey
4. Kellog Hansen
5. Boies Schiller
6. Cravath
nope

1. Paul Hastings
2. Dechert
3. Cadwalader
4. Troutman Sanders