2019 Vault 100 Rankings Released Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2019 Vault 100 Rankings Released

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:28 am

http://www.vault.com/company-rankings/l ... t-law-100/

Notable Jumps/Drops:

5 Latham (+2)
6 Davis Polk (-1)
7 STB (-1)
14 Cleary (-2)
20 WilmerHale (+3)
27 Cooley (+5)
39 Wilson Sonsini (+4)
40 Milbank (-2, our salary god deserves better)

Anonymous User

Re: 2019 Vault 100 Rankings Released

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:59 am

Okay, Paul Hastings. I see you. Is PH actually a good place to work (not talking about prestige, I’m talking about the culture, hours, and overall work/life balance)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:Okay, Paul Hastings. I see you. Is PH actually a good place to work (not talking about prestige, I’m talking about the culture, hours, and overall work/life balance)?
consensus seems to be no

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:01 am

the latham jump is notable

everything else basically a wash

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Okay, Paul Hastings. I see you. Is PH actually a good place to work (not talking about prestige, I’m talking about the culture, hours, and overall work/life balance)?
consensus seems to be no
Well, shit, what are these rankings even good for? They trick people into making poor decisions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
consensus seems to be no
FWIW, have had actual Paul Hastings associates tell me that their "Best Firm to Work For" Vault ranking is complete garbage and to disregard when deciding where to work

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
consensus seems to be no
FWIW, have had actual Paul Hastings associates tell me that their "Best Firm to Work For" Vault ranking is complete garbage and to disregard when deciding where to work
So what do the bribes look like during survey week?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:06 am

PH associate. It’s whatever. The best to work for is pointless. They beg us to review it well. You could do worse but you could do better. No idea if the vault rank is accurate or not.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:13 am

Are the Above the Law rankings more accurate?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:27 am

Milbank is a V10, this list is idiotic

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:Are the Above the Law rankings more accurate?
PPP and RPL are the best metrics. Law firms exist to make money. Nothing else matters.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:31 am

Just curious.

Does JD do better on here because it has a million associates that live in bumfuck nowhere where JD is king compared to mom & pop LLP?

I assume that firms with more associates tend to do better because no one is really going to rank their own firm low.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just curious.

Does JD do better on here because it has a million associates that live in bumfuck nowhere where JD is king compared to mom & pop LLP?

I assume that firms with more associates tend to do better because no one is really going to rank their own firm low.
do they even let you rank your own firm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
PPP and RPL are the best metrics. Law firms exist to make money. Nothing else matters.
Some firms are obviously worth than others hours and culture wise

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:40 am

You can't vote for your own firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Yes. The best firm to work for ranking is based on associates’ rankings in various areas.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:Milbank is a V10, this list is idiotic
So confused by you. V10 means Vault 10 and we are talking about vault rankings. So either the list is idiotic and you shouldn’t refer to a firm by their vault ranking or it isn’t idiotic and their vault ranking matters.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yes. The best firm to work for ranking is based on associates’ rankings in various areas.
right, but I'm pretty sure they don't let you vote for your OWN firm - see post above

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Milbank is a V10, this list is idiotic
So confused by you. V10 means Vault 10 and we are talking about vault rankings. So either the list is idiotic and you shouldn’t refer to a firm by their vault ranking or it isn’t idiotic and their vault ranking matters.
take a joke buddy

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

right, but I'm pretty sure they don't let you vote for your OWN firm - see post above
You can vote for ONLY your firm on the soft stuff (e.g. how good is the summer program? how good are they to work for?)...you can't vote for your own firm in any of the "prestige" stuff (the main ranking and practice area rankings).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It depends on which ranking you’re talking about. If you mean prestige ranking, then that’s based on how associates rank law firms other than their own.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MillllerTime

New

Post by MillllerTime » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It depends on which ranking you’re talking about. If you mean prestige ranking, then that’s based on how associates rank law firms other than their own.
I don't know about others, but I rate the firms I've heard of in the 4-7 range based on how little I've had to deal with them in the past year (with less being better). All the firms I've never heard of get a 1. Firms that have made efforts to increase my salary and/or bonus get a 10.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:the latham jump is notable

everything else basically a wash
Yes, Latham edging out Davis Polk by 0.022 on a nonsensical list is quite notable. 2Ls take note.

worklifewhat

New

Post by worklifewhat » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:25 am

MillllerTime wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I don't know about others, but I rate the firms I've heard of in the 4-7 range based on how little I've had to deal with them in the past year (with less being better). All the firms I've never heard of get a 1. Firms that have made efforts to increase my salary and/or bonus get a 10.
My very scientific test is whether I’d go “ohhhh” or “wowww” upon engaging with an associate from a particular firm. Lol

DougEvans789

New

Post by DougEvans789 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I’ve heard this but always found it kinda curious. As an associate, you’re not an owner of the firm, so why would your first concern be its revenue or profitability? I can’t imagine a non-lawyer would ever pick his company based on its earnings per share or whatever. Especially not if (for some reason) he knew he’d probably never own its stock.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”