2019 Vault 100 Rankings Released Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
OneTwoThreeFour

Bronze

Re: 2019 Vault 100 Rankings Released

Post by OneTwoThreeFour » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:These debates over prestige are why there are vault rankings to begin with. These are literally the consensus view among biglaw associates of “prestige.”
Any prestige rankings that put Cravath at the top above Wachtell and W&C must be pretty dumb, because if you go to law school and go through OCI, you know that the law review people with the best grades end up going to boutiques, Wachtell or W&C, not Cravath, Kirkland or Latham.
W&C's prestige is still so confusing to me. Poverty isn't prestigious.
People who think W&C is prestigious are stupid. C.R.E.A.M.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:58 pm

OneTwoThreeFour wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:These debates over prestige are why there are vault rankings to begin with. These are literally the consensus view among biglaw associates of “prestige.”
Lol stupid stupid anon. The vault survey is a huge joke. Most people (including myself and every associate I know that fills it out) does so without any serious consideration and mostly to shit on whichever firm is giving them a hard time recently (looking at you QUINN).

They are dumb and should not be given much weight at all.

Prestige is a weird game. And the top of vault contains some prestigious firms, sure. But I wouldn't say its a "consensus." That's just plain dumb.
I fill out the survey. It’s literally a survey that says “assign these firms a prestige value”, so yes it’s the “consensus biglaw associate prestige markers” I don’t really give a shit who is where. Law is not prestigious so stop pretending it is. But these rankings reflect consensus arbitrary prestige more than what you and your two dingus friends at Columbia decide.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:46 pm

OneTwoThreeFour wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Any prestige rankings that put Cravath at the top above Wachtell and W&C must be pretty dumb, because if you go to law school and go through OCI, you know that the law review people with the best grades end up going to boutiques, Wachtell or W&C, not Cravath, Kirkland or Latham.
W&C = Williams & Connolly, NOT White and Case.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
OneTwoThreeFour wrote:
Lol stupid stupid anon. The vault survey is a huge joke. Most people (including myself and every associate I know that fills it out) does so without any serious consideration and mostly to shit on whichever firm is giving them a hard time recently (looking at you QUINN).

Prestige is a weird game. And the top of vault contains some prestigious firms, sure. But I wouldn't say its a "consensus." That's just plain dumb.
I fill out the survey. It’s literally a survey that says “assign these firms a prestige value”, so yes it’s the “consensus biglaw associate prestige markers” I don’t really give a shit who is where. Law is not prestigious so stop pretending it is. But these rankings reflect consensus arbitrary prestige more than what you and your two dingus friends at Columbia decide.
I took the survey too. Conceptually, the whole idea of assigning a score to prestige is weird as hell. Prestige is a relative concept. It's easier to create a rankings of my own than to give scores to each firm.

I didn't take it seriously because I had more important things to do. By the time I went down to firms with names starting with S or T, I forgot how much I gave to A or B firms. The national survey was a bit bewildering tbh. I had no idea about two-thirds of the firms in the list. Essentially, as someone that filled out the survey, I would lol if somebody takes it seriously. The regional one, NYC for me, was more manageable and I could focus more. If other people that took the survey had similar experiences, then the survey, in particular the national rankings, must be essentially arbitrary and meaningless.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:23 pm

OneTwoThreeFour wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
You can actually make equity partner there. That’s a huge factor that gets overlooked all the time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
OneTwoThreeFour wrote:

I took the survey too. Conceptually, the whole idea of assigning a score to prestige is weird as hell. Prestige is a relative concept. It's easier to create a rankings of my own than to give scores to each firm.

I didn't take it seriously because I had more important things to do. By the time I went down to firms with names starting with S or T, I forgot how much I gave to A or B firms. The national survey was a bit bewildering tbh. I had no idea about two-thirds of the firms in the list. Essentially, as someone that filled out the survey, I would lol if somebody takes it seriously. The regional one, NYC for me, was more manageable and I could focus more. If other people that took the survey had similar experiences, then the survey, in particular the national rankings, must be essentially arbitrary and meaningless.
Yes it’s arbtirary and meaningless but so is “here are the consensus rankings from CCN students” as though someone actually surveyed all of them and if they did it would literally just look like the dumb Vault survey anyways. So as far as arbitrary and meaningless prestige surveys go vault is fine for what it is. If someone wants to use that to draw dumb conclusions they can do what they want. The truth is ranking law firms is dumb to begin with.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:50 pm

this thread sucks

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”