2018 Pre-OCI Interviews Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2018 Pre-OCI Interviews

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if it’s worth bidding a firm that’s invited you for an early interview? If you don’t get an early offer would OCI be a legitimate second chance or will they just ding you?
I am also going through this process, so by no means an expert, but I have a hard time imaging a firm hiring you after they decided not to hire you after you already did a callback.
That's what I was thinking but I figured I would ask
If you interview and don't get an offer, waste of time to try to re-interview. But if they just never respond to your pre-OCI application, I'd 100% still bid em. Also can take a shot at a different office; like say you interview pre-OCI for Gibson DC and flame out, no reason not to bid Gibson NY.

Also -- heard back from Simpson. Like Paul, Weiss, no screener, just the multi-interview thing at their offices.

when did you submit the application for Simpson and Paul Weiss?
Like mid last week, so pretty quick turnaround

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This might be too TTT for some of you, but I thought it was pertinent to the topic.
you're getting the same interviews and same paycheck as everyone else. This just comes off weird. Congrats on the interviews! and you're providing some helpful info here: know your resume backwards and forwards.
Original anon. Sorry man, wasn't trying to make it weird. I have (not infrequently) experienced some TLS users jumping down my throat because I'm not T-13 > V5. But yeah, I 100% rely on what I have done in the professional environment to convince firms I will be a successful lawyer. AS someone else said, that is generally how interviews go, but I think here is a unique situation. Obviously, K-JD are going to have to rely more heavily on law school success as indicators or future success, but if you have the right work experience you can work around that. In my case, I have spent most of my time developing pre-organized talking points about why my own work history is a 1 to 1 match for legal employment (it isn't, but I've learned to sell it well enough that no one questions me lol).

ETA: In my experience (working for 10 years), the key to any interview is to control where it goes. Make your strong points as interesting as possible and tell it in such a way that it commands very specific followup questions. If you know what youre going to be asked and what your answer will be and you have practiced delivery to where you come off as confident and genuine it will go a long way to getting you a job.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:54 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:03 pm

Applied to a bunch of Bay Area firms last week. Got a few responses asking either to apply online or to give them time to revert. Anyone has screeners/CBs?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:22 pm

Received an invite to interview with V50 this afternoon. Unclear about whether it is a screener or callback (all e-mail says is interview). My resume was passed on to recruiting by a partner. I need to decide ASAP whether or not to remove this firm from my OCI bid list. I get the logic of it being a wasted bid, and I agree. I don't want my contact to feel slighted that I didn't bid on them though. Anyone have thoughts on this? Firm does NOT have a one interview policy.

Edit:
T1
top 20%
Secondary journal
5 years WE

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:50 pm

any STB offers go out yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Received an invite to interview with V50 this afternoon. Unclear about whether it is a screener or callback (all e-mail says is interview). My resume was passed on to recruiting by a partner. I need to decide ASAP whether or not to remove this firm from my OCI bid list. I get the logic of it being a wasted bid, and I agree. I don't want my contact to feel slighted that I didn't bid on them though. Anyone have thoughts on this? Firm does NOT have a one interview policy.

Edit:
T1
top 20%
Secondary journal
5 years WE
Don't think slighting is an issue in this situation. Anway, bid them but so low that you don't get them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Received an invite to interview with V50 this afternoon. Unclear about whether it is a screener or callback (all e-mail says is interview). My resume was passed on to recruiting by a partner. I need to decide ASAP whether or not to remove this firm from my OCI bid list. I get the logic of it being a wasted bid, and I agree. I don't want my contact to feel slighted that I didn't bid on them though. Anyone have thoughts on this? Firm does NOT have a one interview policy.

Edit:
T1
top 20%
Secondary journal
5 years WE
Don't think slighting is an issue in this situation. Anway, bid them but so low that you don't get them.
correct me if I'm mistaken but a "one interview policy" refers to different offices, right. ie you can take a shot at LA and NYC. but interviewing at the same office twice in the span of a month seems like a waste of your time as well as the firm's. doubt your contact would be offended; she/he probably assumes you're not going to bid them now that you've secured an interview. or at least I would?

anyway I wouldn't even bid em low; just take em off the list

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:35 am

I think this was mentioned but I can confirm Weil (NY) has extended offers. A buddy of mine that I’m working with this summer just secured a spot -not sure of his stats but I know he’s up there at a T-25 ranked school.

Kirkland Ellis Boston is already doing pre-oci screeners as well. Just had one late last week.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:03 pm

Got an interview at a V50 firm in DC and was told that I would be meeting with several attorneys. Given that OCI hasn't started, is that a screener or more of a callback?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got an interview at a V50 firm in DC and was told that I would be meeting with several attorneys. Given that OCI hasn't started, is that a screener or more of a callback?
Callback

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got an interview at a V50 firm in DC and was told that I would be meeting with several attorneys. Given that OCI hasn't started, is that a screener or more of a callback?
Callback
thats what im confused about. I haven't done a screening interview with the firm, just met a partner for coffee. the email also said "early screening interview".

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Callback
thats what im confused about. I haven't done a screening interview with the firm, just met a partner for coffee. the email also said "early screening interview".
It doesn't matter what they call it. It's a callback...and it doesn't matter that you haven't had a screener. I have three callbacks next week...haven't had a screener with any of them. Pre-oci, things are little more fluid, a little looser, and the terminology isn't as clear as it is during OCI. It's possible the firm doesn't want to indicate that they're doing pre-oci callbacks. But, if you're meeting with multiple attorneys, that's much more akin to a callback than a screener.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Callback
It doesn't matter what they call it. It's a callback...and it doesn't matter that you haven't had a screener. I have three callbacks next week...haven't had a screener with any of them. Pre-oci, things are little more fluid, a little looser, and the terminology isn't as clear as it is during OCI. It's possible the firm doesn't want to indicate that they're doing pre-oci callbacks. But, if you're meeting with multiple attorneys, that's much more akin to a callback than a screener.
got it, thanks! so if its aced, its the last interview before an offer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Callback
got it, thanks! so if its aced, its the last interview before an offer?
Assuming "aced" means doing well, it doesn't matter--this is your last interview no matter what happens. They will either offer you or they won't. I have never heard of a CB going okay and a firm asking for another interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:26 pm

Two V50 CBs in Houston next week. Both firms will be at my school's OCI in a month.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:57 pm

Anyone who's done a pre-OCI callback with Debevoise NY hear anything yet?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”