Fordham OCI 2018 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Fordham OCI 2018

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:01 pm

how does this work? is anybody here?

Anonymous User

Re: Fordham OCI 2018

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:08 am

bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:20 pm

Just struggling to come up with a somewhat sensible list of 35 haha

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:36 am

Bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:07 am

has anyone started mass mailing?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:43 pm

There is a ton of information circulated by the CPC on how the process works.

I recommend that you bid conservatively and bid on firms with either (1) big class sizes, or (2) have historically given multiple offers to Fordham students. When I participated in the process the CPC provided information on previous years SA class size and how many students interviewed with specific firms, how many were offered callbacks, and how many received offers. I used that information to inform my bid list

Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:04 pm

~3.56, URM, secondary journal, no team. according to the CPC sheet, Debevoise, S&C, Paul Weiss traditionally only make offers to top 10%. are these firms a waste of a bid for me? if I'm feeling risky, is the strategy to use a high bid or a low bid on them?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:~3.56, URM, secondary journal, no team. according to the CPC sheet, Debevoise, S&C, Paul Weiss traditionally only make offers to top 10%. are these firms a waste of a bid for me? if I'm feeling risky, is the strategy to use a high bid or a low bid on them?
My understanding is that if you use a high bid on them (for example, your #1 bid), then you may be given an interview with them through the school versus them selecting to interview you. So while you may get an interview, you might not get a callback if you don't meet their internal GPA cutoffs. That being said, with those stats you should absolutely be getting callbacks and offers, so you can have a few reach bids on your list.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:24 am

Still working on my bid list. Should have started weeks ago. Ugh. I can't even come up with 35.

How's everyone feeling?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:Still working on my bid list. Should have started weeks ago. Ugh. I can't even come up with 35.

How's everyone feeling?

Most certainly in the same boat on my end. May as well resort to flipping a coin for last few.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Still working on my bid list. Should have started weeks ago. Ugh. I can't even come up with 35.

How's everyone feeling?

Most certainly in the same boat on my end. May as well resort to flipping a coin for last few.
How’s everyone doing? What are people’s thoughts on bidding on firms you have pre-oci interviews with?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:

How's everyone feeling?

Having gone through the process a few years ago at Fordham, I definitely recommend, if you haven't already, putting as many firms on there that historically have given a decent amount of Fordham students interviews/callbacks/offers. I know that may seem obvious, but I had friends who wasted bids on firms that gave maybe 1-2 offers to Fordham students each year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:56 am

3.66/LR/No Teams
I bid mostly 2+, with around 1/3rd 1. Fingers crossed for interviews and callbacks. Do we know when we should be getting interview notifications? I've turned off CPC emails because they're rivaling the Fordham Barnes & Noble for levels of spam

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:3.66/LR/No Teams
I bid mostly 2+, with around 1/3rd 1. Fingers crossed for interviews and callbacks. Do we know when we should be getting interview notifications? I've turned off CPC emails because they're rivaling the Fordham Barnes & Noble for levels of spam
Prelim schedules should be coming on July 19th and opt-in/cancellation goes from then until July 24th. Final schedules are allegedly coming out July 26th. All of this is according to the CPC e-mails.

FWIW, I'm at 3.56, Secondary Journal, 2 TA positions for next year (not sure if this matters at all) and one of them is legal writing which I'm hoping helps with lack of LR, 5 years WE, bid almost all "2+/2" with a few "1" firms as reaches.

Based on threads from past years, you will definitely get a good amount of screeners. Have you also been mass mailing?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:3.66/LR/No Teams
3.66 and LR you will get 15-20 screeners easy. If you are even a decent interviewer you should get callbacks and offers, you're in great shape.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:has anyone started mass mailing?
Yes, I have. Received one screener and one straight to callback so far.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Can someone explain how this works exactly? Are you emailing contacts from firms that you bid on already?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Can someone explain how this works exactly? Are you emailing contacts from firms that you bid on already?
You should be emailing the NALP recruiting contact for the firm(s) you’re interested in. I am the person that received a screener and callback and I did not send my materials to firms I bid on. That kind of defeats the purpose- firms aren’t going to interview you more than once. Mass mailing increases your BL chances by allowing you to go beyond the 35 fordham lets you bid on.

That said, if you have a strong contact at a firm (most helpful if it’s a partner but anyone really) that can send your resume to recruiting, you should see if they’re willing to. I imagine this is helpful both for oci and for mass mailing purposes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
You should be emailing the NALP recruiting contact for the firm(s) you’re interested in. I am the person that received a screener and callback and I did not send my materials to firms I bid on. That kind of defeats the purpose- firms aren’t going to interview you more than once. Mass mailing increases your BL chances by allowing you to go beyond the 35 fordham lets you bid on.

That said, if you have a strong contact at a firm (most helpful if it’s a partner but anyone really) that can send your resume to recruiting, you should see if they’re willing to. I imagine this is helpful both for oci and for mass mailing purposes.
So has the ship sailed on pre-OCI for firms you didn't bid on? I imagine that it wouldn't look great if I try to reach out to firms that I didn't bid on.

And then for those I did bid on, I'd expect them to say "see you on campus". Right?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

So has the ship sailed on pre-OCI for firms you didn't bid on? I imagine that it wouldn't look great if I try to reach out to firms that I didn't bid on.

And then for those I did bid on, I'd expect them to say "see you on campus". Right?
I have no idea- the worst that can happen is firms you didn't bid on will say "no" or "see you on campus" and if that happens you can try hospitality suite or employer greeter or whatever else.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:27 pm

Any pre-oci interview? if so what rank / LR / Moot?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any pre-oci interview? if so what rank / LR / Moot?
Two CBs (V50 and V20). Officially top 25% (closer to 10). No LR or Moot Court but significant work experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:47 pm

Did anyone else get an e-mail from Sidley's HR OCI Processing department today? Just asking for voluntary self-identification (race/ethnicity/gender)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone else get an e-mail from Sidley's HR OCI Processing department today? Just asking for voluntary self-identification (race/ethnicity/gender)

Not here, but they were low on my bid list. Did you do the Pre-OCI hustle for them, or just bid on 'em?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone else get an e-mail from Sidley's HR OCI Processing department today? Just asking for voluntary self-identification (race/ethnicity/gender)

Not here, but they were low on my bid list. Did you do the Pre-OCI hustle for them, or just bid on 'em?
I didn’t do pre-oci for Sidley. They were ranked somewhere in the middle of my bid list-neither particularly high nor low.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”