What is actual take home pay at NYC biglaw? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
NDOMUKONGGGG

New

What is actual take home pay at NYC biglaw?

Post by NDOMUKONGGGG » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:13 am

I am moving across the country to work at NYC biglaw, currently in CA. My spouse and I are trying to come up with a budget for NYC, but we can't figure out *exactly* how much NY taxes are (there are a few online tools, but I'm not sure how accurate they are). I don't have any close friends working at NY biglaw who I'd be comfortable asking this to, so here I am:

Would someone be willing to share detailed paycheck information for NY biglaw? Taxes (state, federal, city,), average benefits payments, etc. A third year salary ($210) would be most helpful to me, but $180, $190, would also be very useful. I know take home pay will vary based on insurance as well as how much each person chooses for retirement, but any kind of breakdown would be very useful.

Thanks in advance!

minnbills

Gold

Re: What is actual take home pay at NYC biglaw?

Post by minnbills » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:16 am

I used paycheckcity for by budget and it's been very accurate.

uncle_rico

New

Post by uncle_rico » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:22 am

This one seems pretty accurate. Just make sure to set the location to a zip-code within the city so that it includes city taxes.

https://smartasset.com/taxes/new-york-tax-calculator

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:26 am

NDOMUKONGGGG wrote:I am moving across the country to work at NYC biglaw, currently in CA. My spouse and I are trying to come up with a budget for NYC, but we can't figure out *exactly* how much NY taxes are (there are a few online tools, but I'm not sure how accurate they are). I don't have any close friends working at NY biglaw who I'd be comfortable asking this to, so here I am:

Would someone be willing to share detailed paycheck information for NY biglaw? Taxes (state, federal, city,), average benefits payments, etc. A third year salary ($210) would be most helpful to me, but $180, $190, would also be very useful. I know take home pay will vary based on insurance as well as how much each person chooses for retirement, but any kind of breakdown would be very useful.

Thanks in advance!
I made 210k salary in NYC last year. Here is a list of my paycheck entries (7 fed and 9 NY allowances though, which left me owing $425 fed and receiving $575 NY, but now adjusted for TCJA changes in 2018):

Gross: 8,750
Fed Inc: 1,565
SS: 537
Medicare: 126
NYS: 498
NYC: 281
NY Disability: 1
401k: 750
FSA Med: 30
FSA Transit: 61

Net pay: 4902

This was bimonthly, so adjust accordingly for monthly or biweekly. I also didn't pay health insurance premiums, so adjust for that, as well. SS maxes in July or August so there's an extra $1k for the last 4 or 5 months of the year.

NDOMUKONGGGG

New

Post by NDOMUKONGGGG » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
NDOMUKONGGGG wrote:I am moving across the country to work at NYC biglaw, currently in CA. My spouse and I are trying to come up with a budget for NYC, but we can't figure out *exactly* how much NY taxes are (there are a few online tools, but I'm not sure how accurate they are). I don't have any close friends working at NY biglaw who I'd be comfortable asking this to, so here I am:

Thanks in advance!
I made 210k salary in NYC last year. Here is a list of my paycheck entries (7 fed and 9 NY allowances though, which left me owing $425 fed and receiving $575 NY, but now adjusted for TCJA changes in 2018):

This was bimonthly, so adjust accordingly for monthly or biweekly. I also didn't pay health insurance premiums, so adjust for that, as well. SS maxes in July or August so there's an extra $1k for the last 4 or 5 months of the year.
This is helpful (accidental anon), OP

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks in advance!

This is helpful (accidental anon), OP
Paycheck poster here. If you are MFJ filing status you may have significant differences. Your fed tax amount should be easy to figure since if you are married you won't be itemizing (unless spouse is non-W2 and/or big mortgage and big charitable contributions).

qlube

New

Post by qlube » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks in advance!

401k really should be double that. Max contribution is $18,500.

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:49 pm

qlube wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks in advance!

750 x 24 = 18,000, and the bonus will cover the last $500. That said, you usually have to specify a percentage of your gross income for withholding rather than a dollar amount, so it wouldn't be exactly 750 semi-monthly anyway.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:07 pm

qlube wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Try again, paying particular attention to the two bolded parts.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:36 pm

Make sure you're using $220k now for the NYC standard...

Silver

Post by 2013 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
qlube wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Try again, paying particular attention to the two bolded parts.
Are you really calling him out for saying bimonthly instead of semi-monthly? 750 x 24 is 18,000. I deferred 750 a paycheck.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:53 am

No, it was a jab at qlube's poor reading comprehension. Last year the limit was 18k and the paycheck entries were both explicitly described as bimonthly AND clearly bimonthly from context (e.g. gross of $8,750).

And bimonthly means both twice per month and every two months. Tis a dumb word.

qlube

New

Post by qlube » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:No, it was a jab at qlube's poor reading comprehension. Last year the limit was 18k and the paycheck entries were both explicitly described as bimonthly AND clearly bimonthly from context (e.g. gross of $8,750).

And bimonthly means both twice per month and every two months. Tis a dumb word.
Yeah my bad thought you were listing a monthly list.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:59 pm

Sorry to necro this thread, but I was hoping someone could post a breakdown of their actual take-home pay on 190k in NYC. Trying to budget accordingly and I'm not sure how accurate paycheck city and smart asset etc. are likely to be.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry to necro this thread, but I was hoping someone could post a breakdown of their actual take-home pay on 190k in NYC. Trying to budget accordingly and I'm not sure how accurate paycheck city and smart asset etc. are likely to be.
Smart asset is very accurate. They also very clearly show you the breakdown of your taxation. Your take home on $190,000 is going to be roughly $122,528.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”