DOJ Honors Program 2018-2019 Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2018-2019

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anything else from the BIA?

I have been a finalist for a while now...
I’m in the same boat. Have been a finalist for two weeks now but haven’t heard anything. Haven’t heard of anyone else receiving an offer either.
I’m the same person who just posted but just to clarify, did you also post yesterday that you hadn’t heard anything? Just trying to get an idea of how many of us there are still waiting to hear.
I'm another finalist (I think this makes at least 3 of us?) who hasn't heard anything.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I’m in the same boat. Have been a finalist for two weeks now but haven’t heard anything. Haven’t heard of anyone else receiving an offer either.
I’m the same person who just posted but just to clarify, did you also post yesterday that you hadn’t heard anything? Just trying to get an idea of how many of us there are still waiting to hear.
Nope. I count three or four unique BIA finalists on here, I think.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I personally know a fourth or fifth person who has not posted who is also waiting to hear.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Have any of your references been checked?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:16 am

Has anyone heard from OCAHO?

In addition, do different sections of EOIR check references independently, or do they just have one person from EOIR staff do it for all of them?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:04 pm

I had my references checked on 10/9 and interviewed almost two weeks after that on 10/26. Designated finalist for EOIR but haven’t heard anything yet. I’m starting to lose hope :|

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had my references checked on 10/9 and interviewed almost two weeks after that on 10/26. Designated finalist for EOIR but haven’t heard anything yet. I’m starting to lose hope :|
What component?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from OCAHO?

In addition, do different sections of EOIR check references independently, or do they just have one person from EOIR staff do it for all of them?
Different sections check references independently.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I had my references checked on 10/9 and interviewed almost two weeks after that on 10/26. Designated finalist for EOIR but haven’t heard anything yet. I’m starting to lose hope :|
What component?
OCIJ component.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:36 pm

Has anyone heard anything from the OCIJ? Are we thinking first-round offers are still being extended?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:42 pm

Has anyone heard anything from OCIJ? Are we thinking they are still extending first-round offers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:53 pm

Just received a phone offer from BIA

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Has anyone heard anything from OCIJ? Are we thinking they are still extending first-round offers?
I think yes, through December.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Deanna posted this reply to a question about first round EOIR OCIJ offers on 11/29:

Q: Is there a date that first round offers will be completed for EOIR?
A: Our office does not track offers, but EOIR OCIJ is very deliberate, conducts thorough reference checks, and has a lot of positions to fill. From what I can see, first-round offers are still going out. I anticipate they will continue to go out well into December. It is not uncommon for OCIJ hiring to continue into February/March.

Rulaw123

New

Post by Rulaw123 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from OCAHO?

I was a finalist for OCAHO and I know of one other. There may have been a third. I never received an offer. I just accepted a position in another component so if you're a finalist it's probably down to you and maybe one other (who may have received an offer).

Rulaw123

New

Post by Rulaw123 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is everyone applying out of a clerkship? All (not many) DOJ Honors attys I've met were clerks :o
No, I just accepted an offer and I am coming straight out of law school. I did intern with a district court and a state court, and was a slip last summer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:14 am

I just got off the phone with my friend who works for at the San Antonio Immigration Court (hired last year under the DOJ Honor's Program) and she said she received information today that all the first-round offers for EOIR have been completed. She followed up that 2 people she works with didn't get offers until late January and to definitely hold out hope as an alternate. No idea how reliable this is though...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:34 am

So for people who accepted offers anyone know how long it takes to get paperwork, when background check starts, etc.?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:32 am

It may depend a little on what background check your component requires, but I think I was contacted with forms relatively quickly and had to submit my forms in December sometime. You’ll get contacted by interviewers along the way.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just got off the phone with my friend who works for at the San Antonio Immigration Court (hired last year under the DOJ Honor's Program) and she said she received information today that all the first-round offers for EOIR have been completed. She followed up that 2 people she works with didn't get offers until late January and to definitely hold out hope as an alternate. No idea how reliable this is though...

All first round offers for San Antonio or all first offers for all of EOIR?

From the activity on here it doesn't seem like 120+ offers have been made, but maybe we're overestimating this forum's representativeness?

Rulaw123

New

Post by Rulaw123 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So for people who accepted offers anyone know how long it takes to get paperwork, when background check starts, etc.?
Doesn't really answer your question but the response from avue "After a tentative (often oral) offer is accepted, the hiring office has to initiate the background investigation and send my office a checklist of information that is used to prepare a formal, written offer. Some components wait until their hiring is complete and send over a batch. Some do it as acceptances come in. Just don't panic - we track by name and will follow up."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I just got off the phone with my friend who works for at the San Antonio Immigration Court (hired last year under the DOJ Honor's Program) and she said she received information today that all the first-round offers for EOIR have been completed. She followed up that 2 people she works with didn't get offers until late January and to definitely hold out hope as an alternate. No idea how reliable this is though...

From the activity on here it doesn't seem like 120+ offers have been made, but maybe we're overestimating this forum's representativeness?
I know that each location gets notified when all of the offers for that location have been accepted. not sure about them telling people when every first round offer has been made, I mean they dont even tell us :roll:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I know that each location gets notified when all of the offers for that location have been accepted. not sure about them telling people when every first round offer has been made, I mean they dont even tell us :roll:
I've also heard each person gets 2 weeks - a month to respond... which could easily take a lot of time

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Employers always know more about a job search than applicants, though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Employers always know more about a job search than applicants, though.
I guess the point im trying to make is JLC's dont care what round of offers DOJ is in, so it is unlikely HR would tell them. However, they DO care whether offers have been accepted at their location, which I have been told HR does.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”