DOJ Honors Program 2018-2019 Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2018-2019

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone start a facebook group for new hires?
also interested in this

JohnnyKarate_

New

Post by JohnnyKarate_ » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else heard back from Civil Tax?
Offer extended today.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:34 am

JohnnyKarate_ wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else heard back from Civil Tax?
Offer extended today.
Same person that posted original question. Offer extended yesterday.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It shouldn’t take until next fall (when an honors hire would start) to complete the background check and required paperwork etc.
I’m not so sure. I was planning on starting in August, and the background check takes several months for main Justice. I am getting a bit worried.
Ditto. This is also my understanding. I know people last year had already starting filling out forms, including background stuff, by the end of December (at least for the sections I’m aware of). I think we should all be prepared for there to be a considerable delay in start dates in 2019.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:54 pm

Yes, I went through the process in the past so I’m familiar with it. Background checks for new (non-honors) hires in my component take 3-4 months. Although they begin the background check for honors program people in December, I’m not convinced that it actually requires 8 months to complete, rather than that’s the timeline they follow because they know the honors people don’t have to be on board till the fall anyway.

(Also, to the anon who mentioned this, have you informed your component that you plan to start in August? Mine did not have a start date for me that early - the earliest I could start was the end of September. Obviously though that may not apply to you.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bmzl

New

Post by Bmzl » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:Yes, I went through the process in the past so I’m familiar with it. Background checks for new (non-honors) hires in my component take 3-4 months. Although they begin the background check for honors program people in December, I’m not convinced that it actually requires 8 months to complete, rather than that’s the timeline they follow because they know the honors people don’t have to be on board till the fall anyway.

(Also, to the anon who mentioned this, have you informed your component that you plan to start in August? Mine did not have a start date for me that early - the earliest I could start was the end of September. Obviously though that may not apply to you.)
The timeline will also depend on the specific division because some sections require clearances, which regularly take significantly longer than 3-4 months.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:37 pm

Bmzl wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yes, I went through the process in the past so I’m familiar with it. Background checks for new (non-honors) hires in my component take 3-4 months. Although they begin the background check for honors program people in December, I’m not convinced that it actually requires 8 months to complete, rather than that’s the timeline they follow because they know the honors people don’t have to be on board till the fall anyway.

The timeline will also depend on the specific division because some sections require clearances, which regularly take significantly longer than 3-4 months.
Yeah, to be clear, the background check I was talking about was the national security version, but not an actual clearance.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:31 pm

Has anyone that's received an offer been able to get in touch with someone at OARM or anyone from their hiring component?

I'm not getting responses from anyone (some automatic shutdown related responses and some just haven't responded at all). I was given deadlines to submit documents for security and background check purposes but I'm not able to complete them until my questions are answered.

If you've gotten in touch with someone since the shutdown would you mind sharing their contact info.

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone that's received an offer been able to get in touch with someone at OARM or anyone from their hiring component?

I'm not getting responses from anyone (some automatic shutdown related responses and some just haven't responded at all). I was given deadlines to submit documents for security and background check purposes but I'm not able to complete them until my questions are answered.

If you've gotten in touch with someone since the shutdown would you mind sharing their contact info.

Thanks!
No, they’re all furloughed AFAIK. I went to my hiring component’s office a few weeks ago and confirmed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone that's received an offer been able to get in touch with someone at OARM or anyone from their hiring component?

Thanks!
No, they’re all furloughed AFAIK. I went to my hiring component’s office a few weeks ago and confirmed.
So is it fair to assume that all the security and background check deadlines have been postponed?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks!
So is it fair to assume that all the security and background check deadlines have been postponed?
I think that’s a fair assumption. I also think a delayed start date is another fair assumption, at least for some components.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:05 pm

hopefully offers continue to roll out now that the government is "temporarily open" :?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:28 pm

Just withdrew this morning (EOIR) because I took another permanent position and couldn't wait around. Hopefully things start moving again now that the government is open...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard anything OCIJ?
I received an offer via email from OCIJ in Falls Church last week. I only selected Arlington and Falls Church. However, I turned it down for another Honor's offer.
Was the other Honors offer from another agency?

Yes, with the IRS

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:46 pm

Heads up. Deana replied to a question about timelines and turning stuff in after an offer with: “Unclear. We’ll be sorting out the details as quickly as we can.”

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:19 pm

Has anyone heard anything from EOIR since the reopening?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard anything from EOIR since the reopening?
I got an email stating I have to fill out a form by tomorrow, and a follow up one asking if I had been admitted to the bar.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:55 am

From Deana:

CIvil Division HP hiring is complete
Greetings:

I just issued "regrets" messages to all remaining Civil Division candidates.

As my office gets hiring updates, we'll be updating online and sending appropriate notices.

Best,

Deana

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:56 pm

Deana:
Tax Division HP & SLIP Hiring Complete
Hi, all:

The Tax Division has completed its hiring for this cycle. I've posted updates and sent messages to candidates

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:21 am

Received an EOIR OCIJ offer on Thursday for Port Isabel, TX. Earlier that day, I received an offer for a state appellate court clerkship, so I'm not sure if I will accept EOIR.

MS011

New

Post by MS011 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard anything from EOIR since the reopening?
I received an email from EOIR on Thursday 1/31 with an offer for the San Antonio court. Yey!

I interviewed in early November in Arlington. My references were checked in early December. San Antonio was not my first choice, or second, nor third. I had selected 10/15 locations to broaden my chances.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:57 pm

Has anyone heard from New York immigration courts yet? I interviewed in late October, I think, and had my references checked first week of November.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from New York immigration courts yet? I interviewed in late October, I think, and had my references checked first week of November.
Same here, still waiting for NY immigration court. I also interviewed late Oct and had my references checked first week of November. FYI I only ranked the NY area courts (i.e. NY, Varick, and Newark in that order)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from New York immigration courts yet? I interviewed in late October, I think, and had my references checked first week of November.
Same here, still waiting for NY immigration court. I also interviewed late Oct and had my references checked first week of November. FYI I only ranked the NY area courts (i.e. NY, Varick, and Newark in that order)
I ranked the same three you did, and in the same order. I would prefer the NY court though over Varick St; I would decline Newark (things have changed since I interviewed).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I ranked the same three you did, and in the same order. I would prefer the NY court though over Varick St; I would decline Newark (things have changed since I interviewed).
I haven't seen any NY area offers made other than Varick which is fine by me since I prefer NY to Varick. I really hope that means they haven't started extending those offers yet.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”