Pre-OCI 2018 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Pre-OCI 2018

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:56 pm

Weil NY CB invite this morning...applied in June

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:39 pm

Seconding that Latham DC has sent out offers already.

Also seconding that firms are still doing things. Multiple screeners last week and this week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:11 pm

tartan2016 wrote:Any info on Skadden NY screener --> CB timeframe?
Friend got one the next day

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anybody know Skadden CB--> offer timeframe?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
As soon as they decide they don't hate you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
As stupid as that sounds, it seems pretty true. It looks like firms give offers within a few days after callbacks if they like you

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just a quick question, but for firms that will not be attending my schools OCI program, it is still recommended to MM/apply online through out the rest of July and August (and beyond), correct?
Right. No harm in it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
As stupid as that sounds, it seems pretty true. It looks like firms give offers within a few days after callbacks if they like you
Not always true with pre-OCI. My offer (same tier as Skadden) took ~10 days or so. They *decide* immediately but that doesn't mean they'll *call* immediately.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:24 am

Can confirm that there are still offers going out from the DC offices of firms. Seems like there will be movement all the way through OCI.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:Can confirm that there are still offers going out from the DC offices of firms. Seems like there will be movement all the way through OCI.
What firms?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:46 am

CB Akin DC late last week. Apparently there were several last week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:28 am

Heads up people, Pre-OCI is basically over. If you've already applied you might still get screeners/callbacks Pre-OCI, but OCI/job fairs start this week (like SEMJF on Friday) and firms will probably throw you into the pool with all the other OCI candidates.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:35 am

What's the common wisdom on pre-OCI? I'm pretty new to this, as I was not expecting to apply for firms (interested in PI). I am top 5% at a T20 school and haven't heard back from any firms. Some of which are not coming to my school's OCI. Should I be worried?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:What's the common wisdom on pre-OCI? I'm pretty new to this, as I was not expecting to apply for firms (interested in PI). I am top 5% at a T20 school and haven't heard back from any firms. Some of which are not coming to my school's OCI. Should I be worried?
With your grades you'll probably be fine for OCI unless you have the personality of a peanut. For the firms that aren't coming to your OCI, keep mass mailing, reach out to alumni and set up coffee/phone calls, and generally hustle.

lordofthunder

New

Post by lordofthunder » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:19 pm

Any more movement in LA?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What's the common wisdom on pre-OCI? I'm pretty new to this, as I was not expecting to apply for firms (interested in PI). I am top 5% at a T20 school and haven't heard back from any firms. Some of which are not coming to my school's OCI. Should I be worried?
With your grades you'll probably be fine for OCI unless you have the personality of a peanut. For the firms that aren't coming to your OCI, keep mass mailing, reach out to alumni and set up coffee/phone calls, and generally hustle.
Is it weird that I haven't heard from any firms during pre-OCI? I got the impression that I would at least get a screener from a firm or two, based on grades. Or is pre-OCI just a random crapshoot?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Is it weird that I haven't heard from any firms during pre-OCI? I got the impression that I would at least get a screener from a firm or two, based on grades. Or is pre-OCI just a random crapshoot?
No. The importance and prevalence of Pre-OCI offers is vastly overstated on TLS. Yes, some firms (Latham, Skadden, etc) fill a portion of their summer class with pre-OCI candidates from the tippy-top of their class at highly ranked schools. Sometimes firms will extend pre-OCI screeners to good candidates who attend schools that the firm will not be visiting for OCI. But the majority of firms still fill the majority of their classes through OCI and job fairs - there are a number of top schools that prohibit their students from applying pre-OCI and firms know that. Not getting something through pre-OCI interviews is NOT a failure on your part and should not be viewed as such. Law students already put themselves under enough pressure already.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tartan2016

New

Post by tartan2016 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Related question... I've heard of people getting formally rejected from firms pre OCI or just not hearing back at all (sometimes from the same firm). Do both of those effectively mean a rejection, or does silence mean "we will consider you, just not early."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:09 pm

tartan2016 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Related question... I've heard of people getting formally rejected from firms pre OCI or just not hearing back at all (sometimes from the same firm). Do both of those effectively mean a rejection, or does silence mean "we will consider you, just not early."
A formal rejection = you're out. Silence = you're (at least theoretically) still in the running, especially pre-OCI. If it's still radio silence in December, then yea, you're done.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
No. The importance and prevalence of Pre-OCI offers is vastly overstated on TLS. Yes, some firms (Latham, Skadden, etc) fill a portion of their summer class with pre-OCI candidates from the tippy-top of their class at highly ranked schools. Sometimes firms will extend pre-OCI screeners to good candidates who attend schools that the firm will not be visiting for OCI. But the majority of firms still fill the majority of their classes through OCI and job fairs - there are a number of top schools that prohibit their students from applying pre-OCI and firms know that. Not getting something through pre-OCI interviews is NOT a failure on your part and should not be viewed as such. Law students already put themselves under enough pressure already.

But that's just not true. My friends that are doing pre-oci stuff, as well as myself and a number of 2Ls I've spoken to all got callbacks and offers from firms all the way down the V100. It is not just the top firms. It is not just 'a portion' either. I can count 6 people I'm friends with all with pre-oci offers from a firm with 30 in their class. 6 people from just 2 classes at just 1 school (with grades ranging from top 10% to below median) doesn't suggest they are saving that many spots if they can help it. Of course firms are still doing OCI but why would they not accept good candidates who take the initiative to get in front of the firms early?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

But that's just not true. My friends that are doing pre-oci stuff, as well as myself and a number of 2Ls I've spoken to all got callbacks and offers from firms all the way down the V100. It is not just the top firms. It is not just 'a portion' either. I can count 6 people I'm friends with all with pre-oci offers from a firm with 30 in their class. 6 people from just 2 classes at just 1 school (with grades ranging from top 10% to below median) doesn't suggest they are saving that many spots if they can help it. Of course firms are still doing OCI but why would they not accept good candidates who take the initiative to get in front of the firms early?
Glad you and your friends are on top of things - but 6 people out of the thousands that will be interviewing at OCI, and the hundreds of people that will be attending post-OCI callbacks, still doesn't mean that this is the main way (or even a significant way) that firms are hiring. Remember - there are T-14 schools where students are prohibited from doing pre-OCI and obviously firms aren't going to shut them out. In addition, pre-OCI is still by and large a NY/DC thing, so for students in other markets it's way less common. The recruiters I spoke with at the 30-something receptions I attended in a major market all said about the same thing: they'll look at pre-OCI applications and they might call back a couple people that 1) they want to snag early if their credentials are through the roof or 2) that go to a school where the firm isn't recruiting. For everyone else, OCI is still the main way that people get biglaw. And more important than any of this, NOT getting anything through pre-OCI DOES NOT mean that your biglaw chances are over, or that you're a bad/marginal candidate.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

The firm will give *several times as many offers as it has seats in its class*. It's not 6/30. It could be 6/250 or something. Yield rates for even top firms aren't even close to 50%, let alone 100%. Example - at my school a V10 gave out ~75 offers at OCI (not CBs, offers). They have a class of 150.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any movement in Texas?
Sidley Houston screener invite from MM 7/2, screener 7/10, said it'd take about a week, silence so far. No networking.

K&E Houston direct to CB invite 7/12, CB 7/13, offer today. Networked hard.

Top 1/3 CCN. Nothing remarkable on resume otherwise.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:40 am

GULC's schedule for OCI comes out tomorrow, should I MM the firms I don't get preselected with/interview with via lottery? Or is it too late?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:17 am

Dinged by Gibson Dunn DC this morning. MM about a week ago.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”