Pre-OCI 2018

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 314019
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Pre-OCI 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:21 pm

Which firms have you all heard movement from thus far?

Anonymous User
Posts: 314019
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Pre-OCI 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:43 pm

Lil early bub

sparkytrainer

Silver
Posts: 774
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:32 am

Re: Pre-OCI 2018

Postby sparkytrainer » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Lil early bub


Nope. Some of my mentees have screeners in nyc and dc already. Not too early.

Anonymous User
Posts: 314019
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Pre-OCI 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:32 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Lil early bub


Nope. Some of my mentees have screeners in nyc and dc already. Not too early.


Could you give the general school/rank of your mentees who are getting screeners? Also, are these screeners just over the phone if the candidate isn't in the same town as the firm over the summer?

Anonymous User
Posts: 314019
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Pre-OCI 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Could you give the general school/rank of your mentees who are getting screeners? Also, are these screeners just over the phone if the candidate isn't in the same town as the firm over the summer?


generally they are looking for high grades/school rank, but that is not always the case. i know people at median at T14s were getting pre oci CBs at Weil. re screener/cb, It varies from firm to firm. some go straight to CB, others do phone screeners. If they are going to give you an offer pre-oci, you are gonna do a CB in their office. they will fly you out for this, or may simply ask if you are going to be in town. if they ask you this, and you know you are going to a CB in town, or you can manage to take a day off to fly out there on your own dime, you should do it. i did this last year and did two CBs in one day. they firm was shady about it and wouldn't call it a callback before, but rather just wanted me to "come into the office to speak with them" so then they could skirt splitting the bill with the other firm.

Anonymous User
Posts: 314019
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Pre-OCI 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Which firms have you all heard movement from thus far?


I know of (friends, not me)
skadden 1 offer (prior contact w firm; applied for 1L SA)
Cleary doing screeners (maybe CBs, kinda unclear?)

mid t14 (sorry not sure on grades)

Anonymous User
Posts: 314019
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Pre-OCI 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:25 am

Skadden offered "preliminary interview" if I make my way to NYC anytime this summer. Not sure how valuable that is though

Anonymous User
Posts: 314019
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Pre-OCI 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:16 pm

Applied to Morgan Lewis today and was dinged just a few hours later. I thought getting dings before OCI was rare?

Anonymous User
Posts: 314019
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Pre-OCI 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Applied to Morgan Lewis today and was dinged just a few hours later. I thought getting dings before OCI was rare?


School rank/grades?

Anonymous User
Posts: 314019
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Pre-OCI 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Applied to Morgan Lewis today and was dinged just a few hours later. I thought getting dings before OCI was rare?


School rank/grades?

Lower t-13, above median

Anonymous User
Posts: 314019
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Pre-OCI 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Applied to Morgan Lewis today and was dinged just a few hours later. I thought getting dings before OCI was rare?


Morgan Lewis ding here today too. T20 top third. Also received dings (maybe "soft" dings?) from Weil and OMM NY and GDC Dallas.

Anonymous User
Posts: 314019
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Pre-OCI 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Applied to Morgan Lewis today and was dinged just a few hours later. I thought getting dings before OCI was rare?


Morgan Lewis ding here today too. T20 top third. Also received dings (maybe "soft" dings?) from Weil and OMM NY and GDC Dallas.


dings are rare. A few years ago, I couldnt remember a single ding. This might be a signal these firms are really going all in with pre-oci given they are feeling confident enough to ding now. Also might be the smaller class sizes. With SA classes down 25% across the board last year, it would make sense with that trend continuing to ding people early because spots are more limited nowadays.

Anonymous User
Posts: 314019
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Pre-OCI 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Applied to Morgan Lewis today and was dinged just a few hours later. I thought getting dings before OCI was rare?


School rank/grades?

Lower t-13, above median


what'd the email actually say?

Anonymous User
Posts: 314019
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Pre-OCI 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Applied to Morgan Lewis today and was dinged just a few hours later. I thought getting dings before OCI was rare?


School rank/grades?

Lower t-13, above median


what'd the email actually say?


T20 anon here, my email said the following:

"Thank you for your interest in the Summer Associate position in the New York office of Morgan Lewis.

We have given careful consideration to your inquiry and unfortunately will not be inviting you to interview with our firm. This is certainly not a reflection on your record and abilities, but rather is an indication of the difficulties inherent in trying to choose from many highly qualified candidates.

Please note that if you applied for multiple positions, each application is under separate consideration and you will hear from each recruiting team individually.

We appreciate your interest in Morgan Lewis and wish you every success in your search for a position."

User avatar
yyyuppp

Bronze
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:52 pm

Re: Pre-OCI 2018

Postby yyyuppp » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Applied to Morgan Lewis today and was dinged just a few hours later. I thought getting dings before OCI was rare?


School rank/grades?

Lower t-13, above median


what'd the email actually say?


T20 anon here, my email said the following:

"Thank you for your interest in the Summer Associate position in the New York office of Morgan Lewis.

We have given careful consideration to your inquiry and unfortunately will not be inviting you to interview with our firm. This is certainly not a reflection on your record and abilities, but rather is an indication of the difficulties inherent in trying to choose from many highly qualified candidates.

Please note that if you applied for multiple positions, each application is under separate consideration and you will hear from each recruiting team individually.

We appreciate your interest in Morgan Lewis and wish you every success in your search for a position."


eh, just get at them at OCI.

sparkytrainer

Silver
Posts: 774
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:32 am

Re: Pre-OCI 2018

Postby sparkytrainer » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:20 pm

yyyuppp wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Applied to Morgan Lewis today and was dinged just a few hours later. I thought getting dings before OCI was rare?


School rank/grades?

Lower t-13, above median


what'd the email actually say?


T20 anon here, my email said the following:

"Thank you for your interest in the Summer Associate position in the New York office of Morgan Lewis.

We have given careful consideration to your inquiry and unfortunately will not be inviting you to interview with our firm. This is certainly not a reflection on your record and abilities, but rather is an indication of the difficulties inherent in trying to choose from many highly qualified candidates.

Please note that if you applied for multiple positions, each application is under separate consideration and you will hear from each recruiting team individually.

We appreciate your interest in Morgan Lewis and wish you every success in your search for a position."


eh, just get at them at OCI.


I agree. This isn't necessarily a hard ding. This is you aren't within our pre-oci pool. Things might change by OCI. Don't let this email discourage you at all.

Anonymous User
Posts: 314019
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Pre-OCI 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:38 pm

Has anyone gotten a interview request yet from Morgan Lewis?

Anonymous User
Posts: 314019
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Pre-OCI 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:41 pm

1. Did you apply through the website?
2. Has anyone heard anything from Morgan Lewis's Miami office?

Anonymous User
Posts: 314019
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Pre-OCI 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:42 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:
yyyuppp wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Applied to Morgan Lewis today and was dinged just a few hours later. I thought getting dings before OCI was rare?


School rank/grades?

Lower t-13, above median


what'd the email actually say?


T20 anon here, my email said the following:

"Thank you for your interest in the Summer Associate position in the New York office of Morgan Lewis.

We have given careful consideration to your inquiry and unfortunately will not be inviting you to interview with our firm. This is certainly not a reflection on your record and abilities, but rather is an indication of the difficulties inherent in trying to choose from many highly qualified candidates.

Please note that if you applied for multiple positions, each application is under separate consideration and you will hear from each recruiting team individually.

We appreciate your interest in Morgan Lewis and wish you every success in your search for a position."


eh, just get at them at OCI.


I agree. This isn't necessarily a hard ding. This is you aren't within our pre-oci pool. Things might change by OCI. Don't let this email discourage you at all.


1. Did you apply through the website?
2. Has anyone heard anything from Morgan Lewis's Miami office?

Anonymous User
Posts: 314019
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Pre-OCI 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:45 pm

Anyone know who has started callbacks thus far?

User avatar
yyyuppp

Bronze
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:52 pm

Re: Pre-OCI 2018

Postby yyyuppp » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know who has started callbacks thus far?


if they havent started yet they should be soon. I got my first response June 19th last year.

Anonymous User
Posts: 314019
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Pre-OCI 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:39 pm

Is there anyone else currently doing a 1L SA and thinking about mass mailing? Struggling to see how doing interviews/callbacks for pre-OCI will be possible ... can't imagine taking off more than one day without getting into the no offer danger zone.

Anonymous User
Posts: 314019
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Pre-OCI 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1. Did you apply through the website?
2. Has anyone heard anything from Morgan Lewis's Miami office?

Applied through the website

Anonymous User
Posts: 314019
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Pre-OCI 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:10 pm

I received an interview invite and an offer from a large firm's DC end of May. It is definitely not too early.

Anonymous User
Posts: 314019
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Pre-OCI 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I received an interview invite and an offer from a large firm's DC end of May. It is definitely not too early.


Where?



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.