Top 20% at Baylor and Big Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Top 20% at Baylor and Big Law

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:48 pm

Haven't gotten my rank yet but should be somewhere around 15-20%. Just wondering what kind of chances I'd have at big law. And what I could do at this point to maximize my chances for OCI.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: Top 20% at Baylor and Big Law

Postby sparkytrainer » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:13 pm

Mass mail immediately. Mail every texas firm in each city, mass mail NYC, and every other possible city. You should be sending out 500+ apps. No joke. Every waking moment should be writing cover letters and mass mailing until you are completely finished.

Truthfully, your chances aren't great. But you need to hustle and mail everywhere immediately.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Haven't gotten my rank yet but should be somewhere around 15-20%. Just wondering what kind of chances I'd have at big law. And what I could do at this point to maximize my chances for OCI.

Work somewhere if possible. Otherwise you have a shot at OCI. But don't be too upset if you don't get it. The money is good but because biglaw can be a hellhole too. Your school has good job placement though good for you. https://www.lstreports.com/schools/baylor/jobs/

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:35 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:Mass mail immediately. Mail every texas firm in each city, mass mail NYC, and every other possible city. You should be sending out 500+ apps. No joke. Every waking moment should be writing cover letters and mass mailing until you are completely finished.

Truthfully, your chances aren't great. But you need to hustle and mail everywhere immediately.

To expand on this - focus mass mailing on TX first. The Baylor name doesn’t carry any weight outside of TX, so make TX your #1 priority. Apply to every Dallas and Houston firm, then Austin and San Antonio, then smaller offices in the Midland/Odessa and ETX areas. Once you’ve done that, apply to NYC firms. Then hit any other market you have any possible connection to. Then apply to markets where you have no real connections.

Your best chance at biglaw is in Texas. If you didn’t go to high school or undergrad in Texas, you will have a very hard time getting biglaw in the state with only decent grades, but it’s still worth a shot.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Postby sparkytrainer » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:Mass mail immediately. Mail every texas firm in each city, mass mail NYC, and every other possible city. You should be sending out 500+ apps. No joke. Every waking moment should be writing cover letters and mass mailing until you are completely finished.

To expand on this - focus mass mailing on TX first. The Baylor name doesn’t carry any weight outside of TX, so make TX your #1 priority. Apply to every Dallas and Houston firm, then Austin and San Antonio, then smaller offices in the Midland/Odessa and ETX areas. Once you’ve done that, apply to NYC firms. Then hit any other market you have any possible connection to. Then apply to markets where you have no real connections.

Your best chance at biglaw is in Texas. If you didn’t go to high school or undergrad in Texas, you will have a very hard time getting biglaw in the state with only decent grades, but it’s still worth a shot.

Agree 100%. Sorry I wasn't clear before. Completely mass mail Texas then NYC then every other possible market you could even plausibly have a connection to. This should be done ASAP. And I mean ASAP.

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:36 am

I wouldn't just "mass mail" Texas firms if possible. Target your contacts to the extent possible. Find alumni, friends of friends- figure out any connection you can. You really only have ~20 firms in Texas to worry about.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:45 pm

I go to Baylor and had similar credentials as you OP. I somehow landed TX Big Law as a 1L, so my only option was mass mailing. There are definitely plenty of Baylor contacts in Dallas, Houston, and Austin at big law firms (I can think of several). As poster above said, target them and reach out.

Otherwise, with your class rank, hopefully you're involved in organizations or have some High As or something you can put on your resume to overshadow your GPA. And/or have major ties to Texas (born here, undergrad, etc). I did for mine and it worked. Also, reach out to the CDO office, they help out a lot (contrary to popular belief at Baylor). Wouldn't have gotten big law without them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:00 am

Assuming you are near the 15-20% mark, a lot of the "true" TX BigLaw shops like BB/V&E/etc. are probably out. (Not saying to not mass mail everyone, though) You should also look into the mid-law places like Kelly Hart. They take Baylor folks with your stats.

Return to “Legal Employment?