Duke OCI 2018 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Duke OCI 2018

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:32 pm

that’s not what “exclusively” means, so no, not obvious

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:that’s not what “exclusively” means, so no, not obvious
"bid exclusively New York" - reading comprehension is your friend.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
that means he didn’t bid on other markets, not that he used all his bids, you stupid dummy head

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
that means he didn’t bid on other markets, not that he used all his bids, you stupid dummy head
it doesn't mean anything with respect to how many bids he used, right. but obviously he did not bid on just 1 firm... to even suggest that is to impute unrealistic arrogance onto someone who struck out. come on now. let's at least keep things realistic here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:59 pm

welp, I’m at 27 now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:welp, I’m at 27 now.
welp?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:33 pm

Law journal results are coming out tomorrow morning (7/23), 10-11 am eastern.

Also, I haven't seen any data suggesting that class sizes are down 25%, as some have suggested. Here is ATL earlier this year discussing the issue of declining class sizes:
[L]arge law firms — those with more than 700 lawyers — actually cut back on the size of their summer associate classes in 2017. This is the first decrease in class size since 2012, when recovery from the Great Recession first began.

The good(ish) news is that the summer associate classes aren’t that much smaller than they were in 2016 — the average class size in 2017 was 20, down from 22 for each firm office.
https://abovethelaw.com/2018/01/the-inc ... ate-class/

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Law journal results are coming out tomorrow morning (7/23), 10-11 am eastern.

Also, I haven't seen any data suggesting that class sizes are down 25%, as some have suggested. Here is ATL earlier this year discussing the issue of declining class sizes:
[L]arge law firms — those with more than 700 lawyers — actually cut back on the size of their summer associate classes in 2017. This is the first decrease in class size since 2012, when recovery from the Great Recession first began.

The good(ish) news is that the summer associate classes aren’t that much smaller than they were in 2016 — the average class size in 2017 was 20, down from 22 for each firm office.
I believe the data was ABA from a recent meeting that Mike Spivey attended. Would have to double check though. I thought his preview of the data showed that it was even worse than what the NALP data showed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:37 pm

How common are pre-OCI offers? For those of you who have an offer or offers in hand, how many screeners are you going to do at OCI?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Law journal results are coming out tomorrow morning (7/23), 10-11 am eastern.

I believe the data was ABA from a recent meeting that Mike MS9 attended. Would have to double check though. I thought his preview of the data showed that it was even worse than what the NALP data showed.
Not sure what you're referring to, but here is Spivey on jobs in April 2018:
Per remarks by Jim Leipold, Executive Director for The National Association of Law Placement (NALP) at a summit this very week on the future of legal education, there is a push-pull between admissions offices and the employment landscape. This intimates that law schools may be inclined to increase enrollment in the fall. He then further noted that the number of new lawyer positions has continued to decrease — employment gains are because law school have fewer graduates.
https://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/predi ... s-cycle-2/

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:59 pm

is "lawyer positions" only referring to big law, though?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:03 am

can someone post when they get a journal ding email

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:06 am

ding email just went out

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:57 pm

Now having 20 interviews at the moment.
Bit depressed as my gpa is little below median and missed my first bid :(
Do you think I should start sending emails to companies in my bid list that I didn't get interviews from? Or just wait until I am pulled off from their wait lists?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:08 pm

If your question is "Should I hustle to try to get more interviews or wait to see if they fall in my lap," the answer is hustle. This is doubly so if you are below median and only have 20 screeners. As someone else mentioned, try to get to 30 by the end of the week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:38 am

So... what pre-OCI offers do y'all have?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:Now having 20 interviews at the moment.
Do you think I should start sending emails to companies in my bid list that I didn't get interviews from? Or just wait until I am pulled off from their wait lists?
How did you miss your first bid / which firm did you bid for?

AFAIK 20 bids is pretty decent bidding performance, so don't feel bad about that.

But, especially if your GPA is below median (and even if it's not), you should definitely hit up all the firms you missed and mass mail and so forth.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:So... what pre-OCI offers do y'all have?
Seems like it's been relatively quiet. Only heard of a few from NY people with a lot of WE and @ the firms that are heavy Duke recruiters (we all know who they are). Haven't heard of anything on the DC/CA/Chi front at all.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Now having 20 interviews at the moment.
How did you miss your first bid / which firm did you bid for?

AFAIK 20 bids is pretty decent bidding performance, so don't feel bad about that.

But, especially if your GPA is below median (and even if it's not), you should definitely hit up all the firms you missed and mass mail and so forth.
I'm gonna assume it was Paul Hastings. I think they get more bids at 1 than slots available every year. but yeah, 20 is still a good number.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Seems like it's been relatively quiet. Only heard of a few from NY people with a lot of WE and @ the firms that are heavy Duke recruiters (we all know who they are). Haven't heard of anything on the DC/CA/Chi front at all.
Any rumors on pre-OCI screenrs and callbacks?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Again, haven't heard anything outside of NY. From what I've gathered, Duke discourages firms from trying to get people pre-OCI

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Again, haven't heard anything outside of NY. From what I've gathered, Duke discourages firms from trying to get people pre-OCI
I know of 5 Duke kids with at least 1 DC pre-oci offers each. Just fyi. Your personal experience may or may not actually be representative. As in this case.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I know of 5 Duke kids with at least 1 DC pre-oci offers each. Just fyi. Your personal experience may or may not actually be representative. As in this case.
What firms in DC?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Which firms in DC?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:51 pm

how many interviews did y’all pick up after bidding? I didn’t get off any WLs and I just used open sign up on some smaller firms, seemed impossible to get any big firms.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”