Northwestern OCI 2018 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Northwestern OCI 2018

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:26 am

3.3 transactional here. OCS is trying to get me to bid on firms with class sizes of 3-4 that are around the 3.3 GPA median mark. Whereas, I mostly have ~3.5 GPA median NYC firms with large class sizes. Thoughts? I'd really appreciate the input and rationale behind it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:3.3 transactional here. OCS is trying to get me to bid on firms with class sizes of 3-4 that are around the 3.3 GPA median mark. Whereas, I mostly have ~3.5 GPA median NYC firms with large class sizes. Thoughts? I'd really appreciate the input and rationale behind it.
I think you should definitely try those NYC firms with large classes. Look at their 25th percentile. That's said to be more predictive.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:54 am

ckb614 wrote:Why don't you just ask OCS?
Asking today for ya'll

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:Look at their 25th percentile. That's said to be more predictive.
That makes sense/seems accurate/is what I have been told/is how I am using the list, in as much as I am using it at all

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ckb614 wrote:Why don't you just ask OCS?
Asking today for ya'll
It's 80. OCI sheet is updated

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:09 pm

Kinky John wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Please be careful when utilizing the Career Center for OCI help. David Diamond is RABID misogynist and racist. He will NOT give the same advice he gives to a white male. I'm not going to out myself or anyone with stories, but we have them. People have complained to the school but they won't listen. It's just a good ole boys club up there. This is hearsay but I was told the OCI person is someone that follows in Dave's footsteps. I guess he worked here before and there were a lot of issues.

I personally won't go back to the Career Center but if you have to, I'm told Sandy and Puja are cool. Though if they're safe, you think they'd try to stop him. Maybe they have.

If you've experienced bigotry there, know you're not alone. Please consider speaking up. Someday they'll have to listen.
Are you saying he's giving URMs different advice or that he's preferencing white men in some way?

You should absolutely bring your concerns to the powers that be. Dave Diamond is the Toby Flenderson of Northwestern Law, though, and I doubt he's transcended mere incompetence into MAGA territory.
I never worked with him, but I know he’s told students with “ethnic” names to change them on their resume and not in a polite way either. I wouldn’t be shocked if he said something equally as stupid to women.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:3.3 transactional here. OCS is trying to get me to bid on firms with class sizes of 3-4 that are around the 3.3 GPA median mark. Whereas, I mostly have ~3.5 GPA median NYC firms with large class sizes. Thoughts? I'd really appreciate the input and rationale behind it.

You might have firms that have hard floors they don’t want you to bid on. Post the bid list?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:14 pm

3.5, transactional (interested in restructuring, real estate, M&A), from Midwest. Goal is Chicago big law, but will go to any market to avoid striking out. Am I bidding enough NYC firms and enough lower GPA friendly firms?

1. Ropes & Gray - Chicago
2. Vedder Price - Chicago
3. Katten Muchin Rosenman - Chicago
4. Proskauer Rose - NYC
5. Foley & Lardner - Chicago
6. Kirkland & Ellis - Chicago
7. Jenner & Block - Chicago
8. Jones Day - Chicago
9. Mayer Brown - Chicago
10. Schiff Hardin - Chicago
11. Winston & Strawn - Chicago
12. McDermott Will & Emery - Chicago
13. Fried Frank - NYC
14. Weil - NYC
15. Milbank - NYC
16. Kasowitz - NYC
17. Shearman & Sterling - NYC
18. Willkie - NYC
19. Seward & Kissel - NYC
20. Paul Weiss - NYC (even worth bothering to bid them? Looks like they're filling up pre-OCI/plus my GPA seems out of range. I'd put in a GPA friendly firm like Cadwalder here, but a lot of those firms only have 20 interview slots)
21. Thompson Coburn - STL, listed with Chicago, LA, and DC so might get a lot of bids
22. Faegre Baker Daniels - Chicago
23. Ice Miller - Chicago
24. Drinker Biddle & Reath - Chicago
25. Bracewell - Houston
26. Stinson Leonard Street - STL
27. Porter Wright & Morris - Ohio (not many interview slots)
28. Maslon - Minneapolis
29. Reinhart Boren Van Deuren - Milwaukee
30. Godfrey & Kahn - Wisconsin
31. Varnum - Grand Rapids

I was going to use 32-40 for firms I want to interview with, but realistically will not get (like Baker McKenzie) because they have few interview slots but are median friendly firms. Is that a smart strategy? Also would like to hear if my GPA is competitive for Sidley Austin. I like them a lot, but do not want to give up one of my top 5 bids from a median friendly firms like Foley only to be turned down by Sidley due to my GPA.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:3.5, transactional (interested in restructuring, real estate, M&A), from Midwest. Goal is Chicago big law, but will go to any market to avoid striking out. Am I bidding enough NYC firms and enough lower GPA friendly firms?

4. Proskauer Rose - NYC
8. Jones Day - Chicago
9. Mayer Brown - Chicago
13. Fried Frank - NYC
14. Weil - NYC
15. Milbank - NYC
16. Kasowitz - NYC
18. Willkie - NYC
20. Paul Weiss - NYC (even worth bothering to bid them? Looks like they're filling up pre-OCI/plus my GPA seems out of range. I'd put in a GPA friendly firm like Cadwalder here, but a lot of those firms only have 20 interview slots)
21. Thompson Coburn - STL, listed with Chicago, LA, and DC so might get a lot of bids
23. Ice Miller - Chicago
25. Bracewell - Houston
28. Maslon - Minneapolis

I was going to use 32-40 for firms I want to interview with, but realistically will not get (like Baker McKenzie) because they have few interview slots but are median friendly firms. Is that a smart strategy? Also would like to hear if my GPA is competitive for Sidley Austin. I like them a lot, but do not want to give up one of my top 5 bids from a median friendly firms like Foley only to be turned down by Sidley due to my GPA.
3.5 is above median and a lot of people striking out in Chicago are striking out Chicago lit. You’re not a low GPA. What’s the spreadsheet say about Sidley? You might as well bid them.

Mayer Brown went for number 1 last year if I’m recalling correctly. So I would move them up. If you have a true 3.5 and you’re not rounding throw a bid to Latham, that’s their floor.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:32 pm

For leading firms in markets like Boston, Houston, SF, Seattle, what's the order of popularity among nlaw students? Which market should enjoy higher bids?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:3.5, transactional (interested in restructuring, real estate, M&A), from Midwest. Goal is Chicago big law, but will go to any market to avoid striking out. Am I bidding enough NYC firms and enough lower GPA friendly firms?

4. Proskauer Rose - NYC
8. Jones Day - Chicago
9. Mayer Brown - Chicago
13. Fried Frank - NYC
14. Weil - NYC
15. Milbank - NYC
16. Kasowitz - NYC
18. Willkie - NYC
23. Ice Miller - Chicago
25. Bracewell - Houston
28. Maslon - Minneapolis

3.5 is above median and a lot of people striking out in Chicago are striking out Chicago lit. You’re not a low GPA. What’s the spreadsheet say about Sidley? You might as well bid them.

Mayer Brown went for number 1 last year if I’m recalling correctly. So I would move them up. If you have a true 3.5 and you’re not rounding throw a bid to Latham, that’s their floor.
last year mayer split interviews into litigation (20 slots) and transactional (40 slots). Lit went really high, i think at 2, but transactional went lower. if theyre doing it hte same away again, you dont gotta bid them at 1 unless its lit, but i'd still keep it in the top 5 or 6 if are interested.

Also, just echoing what hte above poster said, you are in a decent spot re chicago firms. I dont know if you have to bid a firm like vedder that high. maybe do something like move ropes to 2, bid Baker 1 and then just try to nab a vedder interview by emailing. just a thought.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:40 pm

4. Proskauer Rose - NYC
8. Jones Day - Chicago
9. Mayer Brown - Chicago
13. Fried Frank - NYC
14. Weil - NYC
15. Milbank - NYC
16. Kasowitz - NYC
18. Willkie - NYC
23. Ice Miller - Chicago
25. Bracewell - Houston
28. Maslon - Minneapolis

Kasowitz is lit only

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For leading firms in markets like Boston, Houston, SF, Seattle, what's the order of popularity among nlaw students? Which market should enjoy higher bids?
I think this will end up being very class-specific and not consistent year over year. Personally I know more people interested in TX, CA than Boston or Seattle, but that is still going to be a fairly small sample size.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

4. Proskauer Rose - NYC
8. Jones Day - Chicago
9. Mayer Brown - Chicago
13. Fried Frank - NYC
14. Weil - NYC
15. Milbank - NYC
16. Kasowitz - NYC
18. Willkie - NYC
23. Ice Miller - Chicago
25. Bracewell - Houston
28. Maslon - Minneapolis

Kasowitz is lit only
Don’t they have a real estate transaction group?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was going to use 32-40 for firms I want to interview with, but realistically will not get (like Baker McKenzie) because they have few interview slots but are median friendly firms. Is that a smart strategy?
Wondering if anyone has thoughts on this or other #30-40 bid strategies. Is it best to use that to be able to say you bid somewhere, or are there firms we could possibly pick up that low?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

4. Proskauer Rose - NYC
8. Jones Day - Chicago
9. Mayer Brown - Chicago
13. Fried Frank - NYC
14. Weil - NYC
15. Milbank - NYC
16. Kasowitz - NYC
18. Willkie - NYC
23. Ice Miller - Chicago
25. Bracewell - Houston
28. Maslon - Minneapolis

I'm not supposed to post the actual numbers, but let's just say the 25th is above my GPA. My adviser recommended I axe them. Mayer Brown does have a split for transaction and litigation (40 slots for transaction), but I don't want to lose out on K&E. Do you think Foley is too high?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

4. Proskauer Rose - NYC
8. Jones Day - Chicago
9. Mayer Brown - Chicago
13. Fried Frank - NYC
14. Weil - NYC
15. Milbank - NYC
16. Kasowitz - NYC
18. Willkie - NYC
23. Ice Miller - Chicago
25. Bracewell - Houston
28. Maslon - Minneapolis

I'm not supposed to post the actual numbers, but let's just say the 25th is above my GPA. My adviser recommended I axe them. Mayer Brown does have a split for transaction and litigation (40 slots for transaction), but I don't want to lose out on K&E. Do you think Foley is too high?
Whose your advisor? I looked at the sheet, you’re marginally below the 25. Let Sidley reject you, don’t take yourself out. I’m not sure where Foley went last year. I think I missed them by placing them to low. Look at last years thread and you can kind of gauge where firms went.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:X

Whose your advisor? I looked at the sheet, you’re marginally below the 25. Let Sidley reject you, don’t take yourself out. I’m not sure where Foley went last year. I think I missed them by placing them to low. Look at last years thread and you can kind of gauge where firms went.
Alright, last question (for now lol). In general, I am concerned that I have too many firms in my top 10 with 25th percent-tile GPAs above mine. If I put Sidley at 5, and move Proskauer down to 10, that leaves me with 6 firms in my top 10 with 25th percent-tile GPAs above mine. Is that too ambitious?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:04 pm

[/quote]

Alright, last question (for now lol). In general, I am concerned that I have too many firms in my top 10 with 25th percent-tile GPAs above mine. If I put Sidley at 5, and move Proskauer down to 10, that leaves me with 6 firms in my top 10 with 25th percent-tile GPAs above mine. Is that too ambitious?[/quote]

that will depend on your other credentials. but 6/10 is not too unrealistic.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:43 pm

So apparently journal offers are going to start going out this afternoon/evening. Anyone get a call yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:10 pm

Last year the LR offers went out the day/evening the email was sent... nothing for me yet

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:03 pm

Calls have started

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:30 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:Calls have started
Oh?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:54 am

Can confirm calls going out. Congrats to everyone who has heard thus far!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:22 am

So if you tell friends privately about journal membership before it's announced by Susie, what results?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”