Applying to Firms - how many locations?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Applying to Firms - how many locations?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:08 pm

Alright, let's have this debate. When applying to a firm (in particular as a 2L trying to get big law), do you apply to just one of the firm's locations, or more?

Anonymous User

Re: Applying to Firms - how many locations?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:54 am

Very interested in responses here. My school’s OCI site says that certain firms only allow one interview per candidate (ostensibly stopping you from really applying to more than one office), but I’d ideally like to apply to multiple offices for certain firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:55 pm

Bump

JHP

Bronze

Postby JHP » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:23 am

This is usually a case-by-case situation. For OCI bidding purposes, it might depend on how your school structures the bidding/lottery process. Most firms will say either (1) interview is for a specific location; or (2) interview covers various locations, in which situation you can clarify during the cover letter or interview, if they ask, which locations you are interested in. In my experience, I've seen more of the latter situation than the former, and I encounter the first situation more when the firm is headquartered in my school city and is looking more for its east coast offices than broadly nationwide.

However, if your bidding process looks like, for example, Skadden has two slots, one for their New York office and one for their LA office, and you have to select each separately, you should weigh the risk of them seeing you bid for both and being annoyed you didn't read/pay attention to their instructions on only bidding for one location.

Return to “Legal Employment?