Lateral job search support group Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lateral job search support group

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 31, 2018 7:05 pm

I felt like there should be a vale-type thread for this—for the person making their second or third move and trying to trade up, in terms of QOL, money, or prestige. You like your job enough, but in order to gain one of those things, you are seeking a change. You only apply for some fraction of jobs in your target region for which you are qualified because (and some people might get annoyed by this), a bunch of postings are beneath you...as defined by your own sense of your resume’s power, as well as your alternative of staying where you are somewhat longer until that perfect position comes along that realizes how awesome you are.

Questions posed to posters invited to post in this thread include, but aren’t limited to, the following:

What are you doing, where are you trying to go, and why?

For how long have you been looking? In that time, how many jobs have you applied to, and what % of posted jobs for which you feel you are qualified is that? How many times have you been interviews, versus how many straight up rejections?

How many times did you walk out of the interview thinking you got it, then learn otherwise?

What’s the average post interview time it’s taken for the entity in question to reject you?

How does your application submission breakdown look in terms of networking internal pass-throughs, recruiter submits, direct applications?

How much time do you spend prepping for each interview? Do you go into them feeling “prepared?” Do you come out of themcfeeling like you prepped adequately?

How much time do you spend actually getting beer/lunch/coffee with people you cold emailed?

How do you get out of work to do networking and/or interview? Is work onto you? Do you care?

Anonymous User

Re: Lateral job search support group

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:12 pm

Thanks for posting this...

I am trying to trade up from my smaller firm of around 50 attorneys...but I’m selective in my search. I have only been reaching out to firms where I have a connection. I am trying to trade up to gain better experience than my current firm. Same practice area but I want more sophisticated work.

I have been actively looking for a year or so now and only applied to a few positions in that time. The moment I see a relevant job posting I try to jump on it.

So far while I am able to get an interview afterwards it is radio silence. My last interview was a few weeks ago. It is a regional big law firm.

I’m hopeful that I will eventually trade up but it will take some time. Looking forward to hearing what others have to say here. Trying my best to stay optimistic but it can be hard at times.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for posting this...

I am trying to trade up from my smaller firm of around 50 attorneys...but I’m selective in my search. I have only been reaching out to firms where I have a connection. I am trying to trade up to gain better experience than my current firm. Same practice area but I want more sophisticated work.

I have been actively looking for a year or so now and only applied to a few positions in that time. The moment I see a relevant job posting I try to jump on it.

So far while I am able to get an interview afterwards it is radio silence. My last interview was a few weeks ago. It is a regional big law firm.

I’m hopeful that I will eventually trade up but it will take some time. Looking forward to hearing what others have to say here. Trying my best to stay optimistic but it can be hard at times.
I know the feeling Re optimism, as well as radio silence after what you believed was a good interview and “your shot,” where you then know in the back of your head that you didn’t get it.

It’s weird—I felt very good about myself career-wise until I made the decision to start a lateral job search. Even though, of course, when you apply to lateral jobs (especially really legit ones) you’re bound to get rejected, the rejections get tougher and tougher to swallow. It almost makes me feel “stuck” in a way.

I’ve been looking for about 7 months, probably applied to about a dozen positions, maybe a few more. Interviewed at maybe 6 of them. 4 rejected me, one gave me an offer but (and this was my bad), I realized it wasn’t a place I wanted to work and didn’t withdraw in time. One I’m still pending at, but it’s been radio silence for a week and I know they were in a rush to hire. I have an interview for my absolute dream job on Monday, but for reasons not worth getting into here, I’m not super optimistic.

It’s gwtting really hard to keep up this search with a legit and intense full time job. I can feel my work product suffering a bit, and I’m really hoping nobody else is noticing. As somebody who rarely missed work barring 1-2 vacations a year, I now all of a sudden have all these emergency personal days, doctors appointments, and just couple-hour blocks where I’m mia. I’m not sure how long I can keep this up.

I’ve made progress (as defined by interview) via networking, but the problem is that the networking also takes me away from work for a couple hours here and a couple hours there. On top of the interviews and the leaving at 330 or 4 pm to have more time to interview prep, I’m just not sure how often I can keep getting coffee etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:18 am

Great idea for a thread!

I work in local government. The work suck, the money sucks, but the people are really great and the job is really 9-5 with something like 5-6 weeks of vaca a year. I've been looking for about 3-4 months- I only apply to my "dream places," had probably 4-5 interviews, one offer but the money turned out to be similar with much higher hour requirement. I am afraid to really push for law firm jobs because I love my hours so much lol and I'm afraid I'm not gonna cut it etc. other government agencies don't seem to be too interested in a candidate like me so I'm stuck hoping for miracle job to appear and take me lol

I should just add that the gov't job I have now is very niche, litigation heavy (think DA but not really).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:Great idea for a thread!

I work in local government. The work suck, the money sucks, but the people are really great and the job is really 9-5 with something like 5-6 weeks of vaca a year. I've been looking for about 3-4 months- I only apply to my "dream places," had probably 4-5 interviews, one offer but the money turned out to be similar with much higher hour requirement. I am afraid to really push for law firm jobs because I love my hours so much lol and I'm afraid I'm not gonna cut it etc. other government agencies don't seem to be too interested in a candidate like me so I'm stuck hoping for miracle job to appear and take me lol

I should just add that the gov't job I have now is very niche, litigation heavy (think DA but not really).
Have you been networking? In my experience, it’s best to find target spots you think might have openings in like 6-12 months, find somebody with same alma Mater from one and get coffee. Then, if and when they do have an opening, you email your contact directly and increase your chances of an interview.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:47 am

Hi guys,

I have never written on this forum before but I just wanted to say to not give up hope!
I had been on the lateral job search for a while (over six months) and was finally able to land a job in big law (my dream) coming from a midsize firm.

The market seemed very cold for months and I received zero interviews, and then last month, out of nowhere, I received three interviews (two with big law firms) and one with a high level boutique. So I really believe timing is everything.

Also, using a recruiter usually helps. I received one offer from a firm I used a recruiter with and a second one on my own. I also think reaching out to HR representatives on Linkedin can be helpful.

I am happy to answer any questions regarding the lateral job search :) Hang in there!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi guys,

I have never written on this forum before but I just wanted to say to not give up hope!
I had been on the lateral job search for a while (over six months) and was finally able to land a job in big law (my dream) coming from a midsize firm.

The market seemed very cold for months and I received zero interviews, and then last month, out of nowhere, I received three interviews (two with big law firms) and one with a high level boutique. So I really believe timing is everything.

Also, using a recruiter usually helps. I received one offer from a firm I used a recruiter with and a second one on my own. I also think reaching out to HR representatives on Linkedin can be helpful.

I am happy to answer any questions regarding the lateral job search :) Hang in there!
I am one of the anons from above.

I got a second callback with a biglaw firm I really like. I’ve never heard of a second callback (this would be third interview). Is there any chance that I get an offer in this next round? I feel like I’ve pretty much met everybody in the group.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I got a second callback with a biglaw firm I really like. I’ve never heard of a second callback (this would be third interview). Is there any chance that I get an offer in this next round? I feel like I’ve pretty much met everybody in the group.
Not the anon from above but I had second callback interviews with two different firms. I ended up hearing back from a different firm before hearing back from those two firms but I assume that the firm would not bring you back for another round of interviews if they were not prepared to give you an offer if the second callback went well. Partners would not waste their time on interviews if there is no chance the person is getting hired.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Not the anon from above but I had second callback interviews with two different firms. I ended up hearing back from a different firm before hearing back from those two firms but I assume that the firm would not bring you back for another round of interviews if they were not prepared to give you an offer if the second callback went well. Partners would not waste their time on interviews if there is no chance the person is getting hired.
So you went into those two firms for a third interview, did the interview, and then had to keep waiting? I was optimistically picturing them bringing me in to give me the offer. How many candidates would you guess I’m actively interviewing against now, at this point? Met with 2 partners and an of counsel already.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

So you went into those two firms for a third interview, did the interview, and then had to keep waiting? I was optimistically picturing them bringing me in to give me the offer. How many candidates would you guess I’m actively interviewing against now, at this point? Met with 2 partners and an of counsel already.
Yes, I was also hoping that I would get an offer at the end of the interview or shortly thereafter after meeting with 4/5 partners on my first callback. The lateral hiring process is slow, so even if you do not receive an offer during or shortly after the third interview, it may come in the future. The offer I received was nearly 3 months after my callback.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:04 am

I am several business days out from that third interview, which I think went really well. Was told I was very impressive. Got responses from all my thank you notes including a partner saying everybody liked me and he hoped they’d be seeing me again very soon.

Pulling my hair out waiting. Been on the job hunt almost a year at this point, with it really having been in high gear the past 7 months.

How long do you think it’ll take before I hear something?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:48 am

Ive been “looking” for about 7 months. I have good credentials but I’m really selective. I have young kids and biglaw demands are inconsistent with the type of parent I’d like to be, so I’m looking for reduced hours and/or a flexible work arrangement with a salary of ~$150k+.

I’ve applied to one biglaw firm in a different geographical area, got an interview, but was ultimately rejected. I didn’t want the job anyway after realizing it wouldn’t give me the lifestyle that I want. And I’m sure they knew that i wasn’t willing to work the way they expected attorneys to work which is why I was rejected. Ive also applied to two smaller firms and everything went great (pretty sure I was going to get an offer from both) but I withdrew from both because one was in an area that would be terrible to commute to/from and the other wouldn’t have been an improvement hours wise but might have been an improvement culture wise, so the pay cut didn’t feel worth it (would be over $120k less once you take into account bonus).

Now, I’m basically looking online for in-house positions and keeping in contact with a recruiter to get a heads up when part-time/reduced hours positions open. These positions pop up infrequently but do exist. I think working at a biglaw firm on a reduced schedule will give me the salary I want without the crazy demands of being full-time. I’m also keeping an eye out for firms where the normal billables are 1700 or less and the salary competitive.

sarahbeck10

New

Post by sarahbeck10 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:07 am

I am at a midsize firm as well and hoping to eventually land at a bigger firm; Do you think it helps to be part of a niche area going from midsize to biglaw? Do certain areas of law lend themselves to making moves like this? I work in healthcare transactions and hoping to continue with this line of work. What length of time do you think is appropriate to stay at a firm before considering leaving? Thanks for any help in advance.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:03 pm

Can anyone who's done a 3rd round of interviews speak to what ever happened with the offer? Did you get an offer shortly thereafter, or even in the 3rd round of interviews are you still likely up against a couple of other candidates?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:16 pm

At K&E, they do everything bigger, even lateral hires.

Kirkland & Ellis's Lateral Partner Pickups Are Pure Fire

https://abovethelaw.com/2018/10/kirklan ... fire/?rf=1

Greenlanpern

New

Post by Greenlanpern » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:25 pm

has anyone used laterally.com? seems like a cool site. i just signed up. (im not advertising fyi). site will tell you where people at any given firm lateralled to or from. also has attrition rates firm by firm.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone who's done a 3rd round of interviews speak to what ever happened with the offer? Did you get an offer shortly thereafter, or even in the 3rd round of interviews are you still likely up against a couple of other candidates?
Took 2 weeks after my third round to get it. I think it was probably down to me and somebody else, though I can’t say for sure.

Remember that you have interviews and then there are hiring committee meetings then there are requests to hire from national partners or something. The bigger the firm the more steps there will be, and therefore the more time it will take, even assuming you’re the presumptive first choice.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:41 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone who's done a 3rd round of interviews speak to what ever happened with the offer? Did you get an offer shortly thereafter, or even in the 3rd round of interviews are you still likely up against a couple of other candidates?
Took 2 weeks after my third round to get it. I think it was probably down to me and somebody else, though I can’t say for sure.

Remember that you have interviews and then there are hiring committee meetings then there are requests to hire from national partners or something. The bigger the firm the more steps there will be, and therefore the more time it will take, even assuming you’re the presumptive first choice.
Would you say that it is not uncommon to be the only candidate in the running by the 3rd round of interviews?

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote:

Would you say that it is not uncommon to be the only candidate in the running by the 3rd round of interviews?
I don’t have the hiring committee experience to answer this, but I think it’s certainly conceivable. I am picturing a situation where you’re the frontrunner but a few key partners just haven’t yet met you yet who need to sign off.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:34 pm

2015 grad here at a big firm (lower end of the V100) in a satellite office. Looking to make a move to another firm with better partnership prospects and/or more consistent substantive work. My group in my office is generally slow across the board and we rely on other offices for our work. I have an offer from another big firm, which would also be a satellite office. However, it’s a much better firm (V30 range), more steady work for local institutional clients in that office, similar hours to what I work now, and better (but probably not by a lot) partnership prospects.

I’m torn on whether to accept the offer or not. I liked the people, the work is what I want to do, and the firm pays market bonuses and base salaries (my firm is market base for the first few years with bonuses significantly under market). I think my biggest concern is if I accept this position and realize in two years that partnership prospects are not great am I too senior to make another lateral move? And will it look like I’ve bounced around too much? At that point my goal would be to move to a more regional mid-sized firm so I wouldn’t be looking at other big firms. Anyone have any thoughts?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:47 pm

To the anon above: the higher you go up the vault scale, the lower partnership chances are going to be. I'm at a V20, and partnership chances get smaller each year (we even officially added a year to the partnership track recently). Even superstars don't have a guaranteed shot at partnership, because there just has to be the right business case at the time they want to make partner, in addition to them being a superstar.

Also, as a 2nd or 3rd year associate trying to lateral, but only if I find the right opportunity: this process is pretty frustrating. You'll get great feedback from firms, then they'll decide not to hire anyone, or that they were actually looking for someone with different qualifications than they thought they were. Or, you'll find a firm that you think has a really interesting platform, only to figure out in an interview that the work environment would be a downgrade from what you're used to.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:21 pm

Did you guys feel that there were any demands in your market for very junior associates? Like stub year to 1.5 year?

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:23 pm

My fairly major market (not nyc or dc but like next level) has recently had a number of postings for 1-3 year people across practice areas from amlaw100 firms

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:45 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:My fairly major market (not nyc or dc but like next level) has recently had a number of postings for 1-3 year people across practice areas from amlaw100 firms
I’m in a similar (maybe same) market. I’ve been interviewing for all of those positions and have been getting many callbacks, but only got one offer. I’m 14 months in.

I occasionally check to see whom the firm ended up hiring when I didn’t get the position, and it was always someone with almost 3 years of experience (class of 2015).

My recruiters said the firm wanted someone with more experience for the jobs I didn’t get.

So, yes, firms list 1-3 years. But, most of the time, they’re looking for closer to 3 than 1.

So, yes, firms will consider a stub year to 1.4 years, but usually those postings will say 0-1 year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:10 pm

This process is frustrating, but I have two first interviews at midlaw firms in a major market this week. No idea if their interviewing process will be as confusing as biglaw’s.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”