Lateral job search support group Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Lateral job search support group

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:25 pm

I'm a 2015 grad at a midsize firm who needs to move back to my home market for family reasons by the end of April, job or no job. I've been applying to just about anything corporate for the month and a half, but so far no bites. I know these things can take a while, but the time crunch here has me freaking out a bit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:25 pm

My experience is that it has taken me over 2 months to get a call back at some firms. The lateral search has no rhyme or reason.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:45 pm

I had two interviews last week at midsized firms, one called me back for a second interview, the other is asking for references and work product. Both initial interviews went well. I like both firms, and they both would be a step up in pay from my current firm, but part of me wants to wait for a potential biglaw firm to reach out and push out my interview a couple of weeks. But part of me wants to jump while the iron is hot, since I don’t want to lose potential offers either. I really liked one of the firms, but wood be an hour plus commute.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had two interviews last week at midsized firms, one called me back for a second interview, the other is asking for references and work product. Both initial interviews went well. I like both firms, and they both would be a step up in pay from my current firm, but part of me wants to wait for a potential biglaw firm to reach out and push out my interview a couple of weeks. But part of me wants to jump while the iron is hot, since I don’t want to lose potential offers either. I really liked one of the firms, but wood be an hour plus commute.
To clarify, have any biglaw firms reached out to you for first rounds yet? How many have you applied to?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:58 pm

I just sent out my first app. First year in a specialty/support group currently at a v10. I probably won't get it, but I can't help but feel hopeful. The firm I applied to was my top choice at OCI, but I didn't get a summer position.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just sent out my first app. First year in a specialty/support group currently at a v10. I probably won't get it, but I can't help but feel hopeful. The firm I applied to was my top choice at OCI, but I didn't get a summer position.
Why do you want to lateral now? I mean you’re at a V10. You’re not killing your resume by sticking around for a bit. In fact, are you concerned the opposite might be true—that a potential employer down the line could be concerned you couldn’t hack it at your V10 to explain the early lateral? Just a thought.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:36 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I just sent out my first app. First year in a specialty/support group currently at a v10. I probably won't get it, but I can't help but feel hopeful. The firm I applied to was my top choice at OCI, but I didn't get a summer position.
Why do you want to lateral now? I mean you’re at a V10. You’re not killing your resume by sticking around for a bit. In fact, are you concerned the opposite might be true—that a potential employer down the line could be concerned you couldn’t hack it at your V10 to explain the early lateral? Just a thought.
Toxic environment. The firm I'd be lateraling to is better regarded in my field anyway.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:45 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I had two interviews last week at midsized firms, one called me back for a second interview, the other is asking for references and work product. Both initial interviews went well. I like both firms, and they both would be a step up in pay from my current firm, but part of me wants to wait for a potential biglaw firm to reach out and push out my interview a couple of weeks. But part of me wants to jump while the iron is hot, since I don’t want to lose potential offers either. I really liked one of the firms, but wood be an hour plus commute.
To clarify, have any biglaw firms reached out to you for first rounds yet? How many have you applied to?
It's been about two months since I started the lateral process. During this time, I have sent out probably 7 applications for biglaw. One reached out, they liked me but said the office wanted someone with more experience. The person in HR liked my experience and said he'd recommend me to other offices. I recently sent more apps to lower tier big law firms. I have been using a recruiter for these and want to see if any will stick.

But yeah, I don't want to lose potential offers from these midsized firms from waiting too long between interviews/reference requests.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:44 pm

Do lateral interviews typically have multiple rounds? Is it a 20-30 minute screening interview followed by a four or five round callback interview?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do lateral interviews typically have multiple rounds? Is it a 20-30 minute screening interview followed by a four or five round callback interview?
IME, generally if you are not in the city where the firm is, they do a screener.

However, I have had in-person screeners before in my current city. These ones I usually think bring in tons of people (20+) when hiring for the position.

The lateral recruiting process is confusing and not very streamlined.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do lateral interviews typically have multiple rounds? Is it a 20-30 minute screening interview followed by a four or five round callback interview?
This was my experience, with two more substantive rounds after the phone screener, occurring a few weeks apart.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:38 pm

had a screener and two rounds of interviews at a major market v10. "still under consideration" after my first follow up email (a month after second callback). no response after my second follow up (about 2 months since second callback).

would a firm ghost a candidate after this much contact?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:45 pm

I’ve had 2 screeners so far in my home market, one was in person and one was over the phone. I have another in person one set up for next week and a probable in person one either next week or the week after. I thought they would mostly be over the phone, but apparently I was wrong.

FWIW one came almost 7 weeks after I applied to a firm website posting and the other came 7 days after I applied to the firm website posting. The one next week was about 2.5 weeks after I applied to a firm website posting. 2nd year in a non-NYC major market doing antitrust work.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:02 pm

I finally got a screener at my dream firm. I’m a third year trying to break into another market. It’s a little weird that I’m meeting with 2 (and possibly 3) partners for a screener. Has anyone had this? Are these screeners for interview processes with only two rounds instead of the three rounds mentioned above? FWIW, the firm only has 5 partners in this practice group.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:24 pm

When I lateraled, all my interviews were straight to callback. Each firm set up 4 to 6 interviews in a row. I didn't do any screeners.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:23 am

What is an acceptable wait time from a second round interview? Have gone in twice, first met with two partners, and then second interview met with three partners and two associates. I was told that I was one of the first to interview (I guess I was very eager), but now have not heard anything for close to four weeks. I checked in once (about 10 days ago), and was told by the recruiting staff that they were still in the interview process. Any advice other than to wait?

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is an acceptable wait time from a second round interview? Have gone in twice, first met with two partners, and then second interview met with three partners and two associates. I was told that I was one of the first to interview (I guess I was very eager), but now have not heard anything for close to four weeks. I checked in once (about 10 days ago), and was told by the recruiting staff that they were still in the interview process. Any advice other than to wait?
Sadly it can take several months. I think all you can do is to keep applying to positions that interest you and when you get another offer, you can put some fire under this firm for an answer.

I would keep checking in every couple of weeks or so just to make sure you don't fall in between the cracks.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:57 pm

Firm I interviewed with is asking for salary expectations. I am hoping this means they liked me and that good news is coming soon...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:12 am

I lateralled to a new firm in the middle of last year. The group I lateralled to is a disaster with a toxic environment, so I am already looking to leave. I have a screener coming up soon and was wondering how I should handle the inevitable question of why I want to leave so soon. My initial thought is to focus more on the new firm being a better opportunity (which it clearly is) instead of saying anything negative about my current firm. Thoughts?

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:I lateralled to a new firm in the middle of last year. The group I lateralled to is a disaster with a toxic environment, so I am already looking to leave. I have a screener coming up soon and was wondering how I should handle the inevitable question of why I want to leave so soon. My initial thought is to focus more on the new firm being a better opportunity (which it clearly is) instead of saying anything negative about my current firm. Thoughts?
This is the worst fear of lateral applicants. I feel for you OP. If you can spin something about specific practice focus, I think that would be beneficial. Say, for example, it’s a lit group issue: you could tell them that the group you’re in is pretty much all investigations but you are passionate about adversarial civil lit so you want the firm you’re applying to.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:50 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I lateralled to a new firm in the middle of last year. The group I lateralled to is a disaster with a toxic environment, so I am already looking to leave. I have a screener coming up soon and was wondering how I should handle the inevitable question of why I want to leave so soon. My initial thought is to focus more on the new firm being a better opportunity (which it clearly is) instead of saying anything negative about my current firm. Thoughts?
This is the worst fear of lateral applicants. I feel for you OP. If you can spin something about specific practice focus, I think that would be beneficial. Say, for example, it’s a lit group issue: you could tell them that the group you’re in is pretty much all investigations but you are passionate about adversarial civil lit so you want the firm you’re applying to.
Thanks! Yes, it has been a nightmare. It was impossible to tell from the interview what I was walking into. It also doesn't help that the worked dried up the moment I started, so the associates are fighting for work.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:29 pm

What excuse do you guys give your firm when you are out for a callback?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What excuse do you guys give your firm when you are out for a callback?
Sick days. Somewhat sketchy but I feel the no one will question. Worse part is when I am back in the office and have to act "sick." I realized now that I am such a bad actor.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What excuse do you guys give your firm when you are out for a callback?
Just say you had a deposition, a dentist appointment, a doctor's appointment, etc. My firm is hands off they don't even know my daily schedule. I arrive and leave at my own pleasure.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:34 pm

had 2 callbacks at biglaw firms early last week so it's been about a week. working w/ a recruiter, in a major non nyc/dc/sf market.

should i have heard by now or am i just being very anxious and these things take time.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”