Would it be a mistake to include Jewish law student organizational affiliation on a law school resume sent to firms? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Would it be a mistake to include Jewish law student organizational affiliation on a law school resume sent to firms?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 30, 2018 9:25 pm

I am an officer in my school's Jewish law student organization. I want to put it on my resume educational/activities section. Would it be a mistake?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed May 30, 2018 10:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Would it be a mistake to include Jewish law student organizational affiliation on a law school resume sent to firms?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 30, 2018 10:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am an officer in my school's Jewish law student organization. I want to put it on my resume educational/activities section. Would it be a mistake?
Not at all. I had an associate basically declare my interview over right at the beginning (in a good way) when he saw we were in the same Jewish organization.

Ohiobumpkin

Silver

Re: Would it be a mistake to include Jewish law student organizational affiliation on a law school resume sent to firms?

Post by Ohiobumpkin » Wed May 30, 2018 10:29 pm

I don't know why it would be a mistake unless you apply to a firm with anti-Semitic members. In that case, you shouldn't work at a firm with that kind of bigotry anyway. Put it on!

whats an updog

Bronze

Post by whats an updog » Wed May 30, 2018 11:25 pm

how could it possibly be a mistake?

even in trumps america, this is not a mistake

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Thu May 31, 2018 12:36 am

In New York, law feels like a Jewish profession where non-Jews are the exception. Like any other affinity group, it can't hurt and can only help. Of course, one assumes you're talking about Hillel and not "Jews for Justice in Palestine."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:51 am

Would echo the above, only useful if you're in NYC. NY V10, and basically 70% of my group is Jewish. Being Jewish is nearly a requirement, that I barely got around.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:19 pm

:roll: Being Jewish is not a "requirement" for practicing law in new york or being accepted/treated well at law firms. you really shouldn't say things like that. it encourages stereotypes/anti-semitism/a sense that the world truly is divided into tribes. let's aspire to more, shall we?

Ohiobumpkin

Silver

Post by Ohiobumpkin » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote::roll: Being Jewish is not a "requirement" for practicing law in new york or being accepted/treated well at law firms. you really shouldn't say things like that. it encourages stereotypes/anti-semitism/a sense that the world truly is divided into tribes. let's aspire to more, shall we?
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:25 am

Anonymous User wrote::roll: Being Jewish is not a "requirement" for practicing law in new york or being accepted/treated well at law firms. you really shouldn't say things like that. it encourages stereotypes/anti-semitism/a sense that the world truly is divided into tribes. let's aspire to more, shall we?
Reuben
Simeon
Levi
Judah
Issachar
Zebulun
Dan
Naphtali
Gad
Asher
Joseph (later Ephraim and Manasseh)
Benjamin

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:09 am

oh wowwww, you can quote Genesis? this very old list of names speaks for itself and is deeply relevant to the practice of law in new york city, you win, you are a genius.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:oh wowwww, you can quote Genesis? this very old list of names speaks for itself and is deeply relevant to the practice of law in new york city, you win, you are a genius.
He's making a joke dude. Chillax.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:31 pm

OP here: Ha, what have I started? XD. Anyway thanks for the responses.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:35 pm

Any firm that would hold that against you isn’t a place you want to work and doesn’t deserve to have you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:But which tribe has the highest Vault ranking?
Levites.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:12 am

Wild Card wrote:In New York, law feels like a Jewish profession where non-Jews are the exception. Like any other affinity group, it can't hurt and can only help. Of course, one assumes you're talking about Hillel and not "Jews for Justice in Palestine."
There are more things wrong with this statement than words in it.

Here, learn some history: http://www.stanfordlawreview.org/wp-con ... 4/Wald.pdf

I'm not even touching your Hillel comment.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”