Trust and estates 2L summer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
anonymous93

New

Trust and estates 2L summer

Post by anonymous93 » Wed May 30, 2018 2:44 pm

I’m working in a boutique trust and estates office in nyc. I attend a regional nyc school. Ex.) Brooklyn/Cardozo/st. Johns. I’m enjoying it here at the office and my firm also deals with tax, litigation and sale of real estate. Overall I think it would be cool to work here if I was given the opportunity. But, I wanted to come on here to ask what the legal market is like for someone who attended a regional school and has experience in trust and estates for their summer. Such as entering a big or medium sized firm.

Anonymous User

Re: Trust and estates 2L summer

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 30, 2018 5:12 pm

If you can get an offer from that firm then congrats. I’d kill to work in trusts and estates. If not though, I’d be wary. Big firms have small T&E departments and if they are hiring, they’re going to be able to fill their spots with interested SAs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:05 pm

I’m doing mostly trusts and estates work as a Biglaw SA this summer. Everyone in the firm’s estates group says that their lifestyle is far better than that of their peers in lit or corporate, and since the group is smaller they only take on a couple new associates each year, but surprisingly I have only talked to like one other SA that is even interested in the group.

I think I would definitely accept an offer to come back into the firm’s estates group after graduation, though my one concern is that biglaw estates attorneys may have less exit options than Corp or lit attorneys. OTOH, if your hours are more sustainable long-term, you may not need the exit options... Can anyone shed some light on this?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:51 pm

I always thought if I ended up in T&E, I'd just try to make partner, or go to a smaller firm. The hours sound so good for the pay that it makes in-house less attractive. I've heard if your practice incorporates non-profit work with 501(c)(3s), foundations, etc., you'll have exits into non-profits.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”