Interviewing with partner who passed me along. Do I have to flag? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Interviewing with partner who passed me along. Do I have to flag?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 21, 2018 5:56 pm

I am doing a callback with a large firm. I just learned one of my interviewers is the partner who passed me along. I had made this partner aware that I was interviewing on this day, but I did not yet know who with.

In the past, I know when associates have passed me through, they were then walled off from my interview process.

Do I have an obligation to flag this by email to the partner, or to the recruiting coordinator?

Or should I assume that if they weren’t okay with this type of thing, they would have caught it? Or maybe it’s different with a partner?

minnbills

Gold

Re: Interviewing with partner who passed me along. Do I have to flag?

Post by minnbills » Mon May 21, 2018 5:58 pm

What does "passed me along" mean?

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Mon May 21, 2018 6:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am doing a callback with a large firm. I just learned one of my interviewers is the partner who passed me along. I had made this partner aware that I was interviewing on this day, but I did not yet know who with.

In the past, I know when associates have passed me through, they were then walled off from my interview process.

Do I have an obligation to flag this by email to the partner, or to the recruiting coordinator?

Or should I assume that if they weren’t okay with this type of thing, they would have caught it? Or maybe it’s different with a partner?
I can't see how that obligation would fall on you. Sounds like a firm hiring policy issue not an ethical issue.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 21, 2018 6:29 pm

OP here. Passed along is synonymous with “referred” me. I am leaning towards assuming that the office has put two and two together and wouldn’t have done it if it presented problems.

I am learning anecdotally, also, that at many firms associates get referral bonuses (thereby creating the conflict) but partners don’t

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Mon May 21, 2018 6:43 pm

Ok - Agree with the above poster that this is not your problem. Also if it's a partner referring you in, that's a little different than an associate.

I wouldn't mention anything to HR.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 21, 2018 6:51 pm

minnbills wrote:Ok - Agree with the above poster that this is not your problem. Also if it's a partner referring you in, that's a little different than an associate.

I wouldn't mention anything to HR.
Hi all, I appreciate it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”