When should rising 2Ls start mass mailing target markets? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
yyyuppp

Bronze

Re: When should rising 2Ls start mass mailing target markets?

Post by yyyuppp » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:06 pm

i'd be surprised if there a career services office could actually impose any penalty. if you get an offer, then fuck them. if you don't, it'd be criminal for them to keep you out of OCI

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:40 am

if your gpa is not great leave it off your resume but

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:39 am

Thoughts on networking with multiple people at the same firm? I mean, in an interview would I really name drop 3 people or is one good connection with someone "enough"?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:35 am

northwood wrote:if your gpa is not great leave it off your resume but
What is "not great"? Like <3.10?

uncle_rico

New

Post by uncle_rico » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:50 am

Is attaching a cover letter really necessary? I've always considered them to be extra fluff that isn't worth much, and I'd rather not have to write one for every firm that I apply to

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:59 am

uncle_rico wrote:Is attaching a cover letter really necessary? I've always considered them to be extra fluff that isn't worth much, and I'd rather not have to write one for every firm that I apply to
Yes it is necessary. The trick is to write 2 or 3 versions that can be fungible for each firm. Just change a few details like the address, firm name, market etc and you are good to go. That’s why we advocate to mass mail early because it can be a long process.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
wondering this as well - Duke tells us to leave it on the resume as long as your GPA starts with a 3

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:01 pm

I am starting to think pre-OCI might just be a v15 thing NYC. Every other firm has told me it's too early for my application to be considered, whether that firm is in NYC or a different market. I don't think it's a GPA issue (I'm above median at a lower t13), but maybe it is?

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:57 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:I am starting to think pre-OCI might just be a v15 thing NYC. Every other firm has told me it's too early for my application to be considered, whether that firm is in NYC or a different market. I don't think it's a GPA issue (I'm above median at a lower t13), but maybe it is?
Well it certainly is a thing in DC and increasingly in Chicago/west coast. I can tell you from personal experience more than a handful of DC offices that fill completely with pre-oci now. You might just not be getting bites yet in those markets. Start networking too.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:01 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:I am starting to think pre-OCI might just be a v15 thing NYC. Every other firm has told me it's too early for my application to be considered, whether that firm is in NYC or a different market. I don't think it's a GPA issue (I'm above median at a lower t13), but maybe it is?
Definitely not just a V15 NYC thing. I can confirm firsthand that some firms in other markets are starting to move a little bit already

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
wondering this as well - Duke tells us to leave it on the resume as long as your GPA starts with a 3
What are your gpa cutoffs l. If median is 3.2 and you are below that, then no. While Brye may see your transcripts anyways, why single out your gpa and have them stop reading your resume before your resume can possibly overcome that ( unless they have a gpa floor and your are below that)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:58 pm

Been talking to people/alumni at v15 NY offices lately and every single one of them told me to hold off until OCI and said that they (as associates) don't really have control over the interview even if they pass your resume to HR. Can anyone elaborate if this is standard procedure? I'm top 15% at Fordham, probably not high enough to wow them for a straight CB, but I am also wondering if waiting till OCI will make me worse off. Thanks much!

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:10 am

Duplicate for some reason.
Last edited by Npret on Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:Been talking to people/alumni at v15 NY offices lately and every single one of them told me to hold off until OCI and said that they (as associates) don't really have control over the interview even if they pass your resume to HR. Can anyone elaborate if this is standard procedure? I'm top 15% at Fordham, probably not high enough to wow them for a straight CB, but I am also wondering if waiting till OCI will make me worse off. Thanks much!
Yes it’s standard that associates can’t guarantee you an interview. They can just help with contacting recruiting.
If you don’t have a job, you need to massmail.
I don’t know what waiting until
OCI will do for you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:33 am

northwood wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
What are your gpa cutoffs l. If median is 3.2 and you are below that, then no. While Brye may see your transcripts anyways, why single out your gpa and have them stop reading your resume before your resume can possibly overcome that ( unless they have a gpa floor and your are below that)

True. That may be a good call for a resume with pre law school work experience. Only concern is they'll assume GPA starts with a 2 and trash it anyways. This is obviously mitigated if transcripts are attached separately.

yyyuppp

Bronze

Post by yyyuppp » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:37 am

i feel like its important to stress that there is no "waiting for OCI," there is only not mailing. firms aren't going to reject you prior to OCI. is not like you only have one bullet. the worst they will do is say we don't want to interview you. in which case, bid them at oci.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:55 am

yyyuppp wrote:i feel like its important to stress that there is no "waiting for OCI," there is only not mailing. firms aren't going to reject you prior to OCI. is not like you only have one bullet. the worst they will do is say we don't want to interview you. in which case, bid them at oci.
Yeah, I don’t get why people don’t do it, except it’s work for them. Look at it as researching firms for OCI.
You don’t have a job. If you wait until after OCI, you may not have one.

In the slim chance a firm rejects you, they probably weren’t giving you a callback anyway.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JHP

Bronze

Post by JHP » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on networking with multiple people at the same firm? I mean, in an interview would I really name drop 3 people or is one good connection with someone "enough"?
This question isn't really seeing the full picture. It's not about trying to rack up names to name drop in an interview, and frankly some people find name-dropping several peoples' names very distasteful if you don't really know those attorneys well enough (i.e. don't namedrop someone you met just like one or 2 times casually). Networking with multiple people, I think, is a must. It's more about casting your net widely and broadly, making yourself known to lots of people because you never know how it's going to pay out (that rando associate you meet might actually be someone seen very favorably by the hiring committee). Obviously, try to develop natural, substantive relationships through networking. I networked A LOT and with A LOT of people, but I followed through with 3-4 substantive relationships and those were the people who advocated for me at the hiring discussions, got me interviews, gave me tips, "dropped by" the interview with a partner, etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:38 am

do firms fly people out pre-OCI if they're not in the same city?

yyyuppp

Bronze

Post by yyyuppp » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:do firms fly people out pre-OCI if they're not in the same city?
Generally, yeah. Some might ask to come in to interview if you happen to be in the area at some point

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:53 am

yyyuppp wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:do firms fly people out pre-OCI if they're not in the same city?
Generally, yeah. Some might ask to come in to interview if you happen to be in the area at some point
I was told by career services that firms don't do this...

THEY WANNA SEE ME FALL

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:21 am

Might do a phone or Skype screener first, but not always. I would generally expect them to pay if I'm coming out there unless I explicitly stated ahead of time that I'm going to be in the area anyway. Speaking of which: if you're planning to be in a distant city and will have a few hours during the day for an interview, I'd recommend letting firms know you'll be in the area. They won't reimburse travel, but it's a great way to drum up some extra interviews.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:32 pm

stupid question but what should we make the subject line when massmailing partners? i'm targeting a few people specifically because i have ties to their practice group. TIA.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:56 pm

Where can I find more NYC firms who pre-cruit? I've blasted through the Vault 100. I'm planning on working through the AmLaw 200 this weekend. Not sure where else to turn other than to inefficiently google for law firms by city.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:stupid question but what should we make the subject line when massmailing partners? i'm targeting a few people specifically because i have ties to their practice group. TIA.
Assuming when you say mass mailing you're talking about actually sending your cover letter, resume, transcript, etc., you should be mass mailing the recruiters, not partners. Subject line: "2L Summer Associate Application: [Your Name]" or something super simple like that.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”