Should a Prosecutor get an LLM? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Should a Prosecutor get an LLM?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 16, 2018 10:47 pm

I am about to be a state prosecutor this fall. If you are a State/County Prosecutor in a large city like NYC, Chi, LA, Miami and are looking to become an AUSA in your city or at least be competitive to go to flyover country or smaller cities, would it benefit you to get an LLM in taxation (or something else)?

Prosecutors in my office will normally have misdemeanors and felonies of drugs, assaults, etc., but the white collar cases are few and far between. If AUSAs are working on white collar cases, would an LLM in Tax (or something else) be a plus for federal offices? I am thinking of just doing night classes so I would get my LLM by about my 4th year as a prosecutor. I don't know a thing about the *fancy* white collar stuff of mortgage or securities fraud, tax evasion--I just know the more kinetic crimes that state prosecutors handle.

FYI--I don't mind the night classes or cost. The plan would be to apply for AUSA positions with an LLM and 2-4 years as a state prosecutor.

Anonymous User

Re: Should a Prosecutor get an LLM?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 16, 2018 11:31 pm

Former prosecutor in one of those cities here. LLM won’t help you at all for AUSA spots. It’s best to try to network your way in and try to move into a specialized unit that prosecutes the types of crimes AUSAs focus on.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 17, 2018 12:04 am

Agreed. I’m an AUSA and I’ve never met an AUSA with an LLM. Also an LLM in tax is going to be way too specialized - I don’t know if those programs really address the criminal side of tax, but even if they do, you’d be more competitive for the Tax Division in DOJ than an AUSA position. (Keep in mind that of course you have to understand tax statutes but the IRS agents are generally EXCELLENT and are going to be the people actually delving into someone’s tax returns and telling you what’s in them).

Don’t undersell the value of state felonies - it depends on the USAO but understanding drug crimes and gun crimes is still going to be really helpful. And getting into court and doing trials (keeping in mind there are differences between federal/state) is going to be really valuable regardless of the nature of the case.

(Yes, some offices prefer to hire out of biglaw and don’t like to hire out of state prosecution offices, but that’s by no means all offices. And getting an LLM isn’t going to make up for not having a biglaw pedigree if you don’t already have one.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 17, 2018 11:04 am

OP here: Thanks! That was helpful.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Thu May 17, 2018 11:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am about to be a state prosecutor this fall. If you are a State/County Prosecutor in a large city like NYC, Chi, LA, Miami and are looking to become an AUSA in your city or at least be competitive to go to flyover country or smaller cities, would it benefit you to get an LLM in taxation (or something else)?

Prosecutors in my office will normally have misdemeanors and felonies of drugs, assaults, etc., but the white collar cases are few and far between. If AUSAs are working on white collar cases, would an LLM in Tax (or something else) be a plus for federal offices? I am thinking of just doing night classes so I would get my LLM by about my 4th year as a prosecutor. I don't know a thing about the *fancy* white collar stuff of mortgage or securities fraud, tax evasion--I just know the more kinetic crimes that state prosecutors handle.

FYI--I don't mind the night classes or cost. The plan would be to apply for AUSA positions with an LLM and 2-4 years as a state prosecutor.
“No” is the credited response, here.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 17, 2018 11:29 am

objctnyrhnr wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am about to be a state prosecutor this fall. If you are a State/County Prosecutor in a large city like NYC, Chi, LA, Miami and are looking to become an AUSA in your city or at least be competitive to go to flyover country or smaller cities, would it benefit you to get an LLM in taxation (or something else)?

“No” is the credited response, here.
Wow, thanks for all that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 17, 2018 5:12 pm

No. Just try to move into some fraud work at the DA’s office if you really want to gain relevant knowledge, or don’t, and just do it later at the USAO after you’ve been there a while. More new slots opening for violent crimes and narcotics during this admin anyway—better to focus on that if looking to transition soon.

Source: former ADA/biglaw associate, current AUSA.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 17, 2018 5:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:No. Just try to move into some fraud work at the DA’s office if you really want to gain relevant knowledge, or don’t, and just do it later at the USAO after you’ve been there a while. More new slots opening for violent crimes and narcotics during this admin anyway—better to focus on that if looking to transition soon.

Source: former ADA/biglaw associate, current AUSA.
Gonna hijack real quick—if one goes fedclerk for a year-ada for 3 years-litigation boutique firm, does one have any shot at ausa without having done grand jury work or biglaw?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 17, 2018 6:00 pm

Just answered you in your own thread.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 20, 2018 10:46 pm

Prosecutor in one of the big city offices with a competitive AUSA district.

The *only* person I know of with an LLM in our office has one in trial advocacy that they did after they got the job, nights. They're a rock star at trials and now is chief of training. I don't even think the LLM matters as a credential, but maybe as a teacher it helps.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”