Resume template after being in practice Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Resume template after being in practice

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 15, 2018 4:51 pm

Hi all-

What should a resume look like after being in practice 1-3 years? Still have your GPAs on them? Experience at the top followed by education?

misterjames

Bronze

Re: Resume template after being in practice

Post by misterjames » Tue May 15, 2018 5:12 pm

I'd say standard form is experience at the top, then "professional activities" to the extent you have them, and then education. No GPA, but include latin honors if available. Also keep journals/clubs/other honors if you have them.

Int'lshoe

New

Post by Int'lshoe » Tue May 15, 2018 5:42 pm

Experience -> Education -> Bar Admissions -> Publications -> Professional Orgs.

I have heard that your GPA should be included until/unless you have your own book of business to brag about. Not putting would raise bigger concerns than just having it listed.

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Tue May 15, 2018 8:19 pm

I'd err on the side of keeping your GPA. Int'l Shoe has a good order. IIRC, YLS has some publicly available template resumes, for use by both students and junior attorneys.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 16, 2018 1:22 am

My law school (CCN) required that we not list our GPA during OCI, so I've never had it on my resume. Should I add it now?

Also, how bad would an absence of professional orgs be? And what kind of stuff would that be? Like, San Fran Young Lawyers Assoc., California Bar IP Section, Affinity Groups, stuff like that?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tier4_partner

New

Post by tier4_partner » Wed May 16, 2018 3:09 am

Not having professional orgs really doesn’t matter.

If you have a good gpa - keep it on there. If you don’t, take it off.

The order stated above makes sense.

FWIW - when I interview a 2 to 6 year associate, I seldom focus on gpa, I care more about professional experience at that point.

TEIAM

Bronze

Post by TEIAM » Wed May 16, 2018 10:53 am

I'd add an interests section if you can squeeze it. If you have something remotely interesting, it's a talking point in interviews. Mine come up in literally every interview I have.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 16, 2018 1:17 pm

I’ve dropped a lot of federal government applications recently. I keep my education at the top of my resume because I still feel like attorneys are all about fancy “prestigious” schools (and I went to a highly ranked school). Are y’all saying I shouldn’t do this anymore? My resume is one page, so it’s not like the two lines for schools hide my experience.

FWIW, I think the school prestige thing is annoying and not useful, but I figured why not try to use it to my advantage for people that still think that way.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 16, 2018 4:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I’ve dropped a lot of federal government applications recently. I keep my education at the top of my resume because I still feel like attorneys are all about fancy “prestigious” schools (and I went to a highly ranked school). Are y’all saying I shouldn’t do this anymore? My resume is one page, so it’s not like the two lines for schools hide my experience.

FWIW, I think the school prestige thing is annoying and not useful, but I figured why not try to use it to my advantage for people that still think that way.
At CCN, they advise you to keep education at the top for the first 1-3 years, because it will be the most relevant. (They say around 3-5, your experience will become more relevant, especially if you've had substantive responsibility, and then you can switch it.) I think that's right maybe even outside of the T14, but I'd definitely keep education at the top for a prestigious school for a couple years at least.

I'd sub out GPA for Latin honors or other class-rank-based award if available, but if there's nothing to replace it with, I'd leave a GPA over 3.0 on to avoid raising concerns (at least for the first few years out of law school).

I've heard "interests" sections can be really valuable for big law type jobs, but I'm not sure they're as important for government and public interest. Government and public interest employers tend to be primarily interested in seeing demonstrated commitment to public service / the practice area through work and volunteer experience.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”