advancement of bonus paycheck? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

advancement of bonus paycheck?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 14, 2018 5:01 pm

Hi,

I'm an incoming clerk to a major city with high COA, i absolutely have no savings from clerkship. And entering into a lease in that market generaly requires a high fee including some non-recurring fees such as co-op, background check etc and broker's fee. I dont have the cash right now and the move is several months ahead. I will be getting a bonus check from the firm, but they told me it was paid on my first paycheck, is there any chance to advance that bonus check..? I'm scared to ask HR and I don't know which HR to ask, firm is huge.

minnbills

Gold

Re: advancement of bonus paycheck?

Post by minnbills » Mon May 14, 2018 5:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi,

I'm an incoming clerk to a major city with high COA, i absolutely have no savings from clerkship. And entering into a lease in that market generaly requires a high fee including some non-recurring fees such as co-op, background check etc and broker's fee. I dont have the cash right now and the move is several months ahead. I will be getting a bonus check from the firm, but they told me it was paid on my first paycheck, is there any chance to advance that bonus check..? I'm scared to ask HR and I don't know which HR to ask, firm is huge.
Many firms will offer an advance on salary. You have no reason to be scared - just ask HR if the firm is willing to offer a salary advance

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 15, 2018 9:42 am

Wondering about this as well. Aren't there ethical issues with accepting a salary advance from a firm while you're still employed by the judiciary? I'm aware bar reimbursement is allowed, but I thought that was considered to be different.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Tue May 15, 2018 11:46 am

You should consult the ethics rules and also ask your judge.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 15, 2018 1:17 pm

First, check with your judge -- it might be better to wait to get the check until after your clerkship ends, though I assume you're already recused from any case that firm is involved in.

Next, just ask HR. This is their job. Just email the recruiter you've been in touch with, or whoever's been the nicest, or whatever.

Finally, rather than ask for the whole bonus, perhaps ask for half, or whatever amount would be enough for you to cover the immediate expenses?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”