2018 3L Hiring for Firms?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2018 3L Hiring for Firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:00 pm

Just got a CB from a biglaw firm. Any advice from those who have succeeded with their 3L CB interviews? It's a specialization that I happen to be focused in, didn't do Biglaw this last summer. I'm very happy they're interested but also a a bit of a wreck, since TLS wisdom tells me I really don't have a great shot (not saying it's impossible, but worried about getting my hopes up).

Biggest question, is there any way to increase my chances? CB might be a couple weeks away, should I reach out to connections and see if they know anybody at the firm? Reach out to any alumni who might be there? Or does that come off wrong, and I should just not mess around and wait for their email about scheduling times, etc.

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got a CB from a biglaw firm. Any advice from those who have succeeded with their 3L CB interviews? It's a specialization that I happen to be focused in, didn't do Biglaw this last summer. I'm very happy they're interested but also a a bit of a wreck, since TLS wisdom tells me I really don't have a great shot (not saying it's impossible, but worried about getting my hopes up).

Biggest question, is there any way to increase my chances? CB might be a couple weeks away, should I reach out to connections and see if they know anybody at the firm? Reach out to any alumni who might be there? Or does that come off wrong, and I should just not mess around and wait for their email about scheduling times, etc.

Thanks!

Same Anon here, just to add, the firm is in the south, (Atlanta/Miami/New Orleans). Does that make any difference as to how I approach this?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:41 am

Anyone know if S&C is hiring?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:43 pm

Anyone have a timeline for Applying --> Screener --> Call-back --> Offer?

Is it slower than 2L?

JHP

Bronze

Postby JHP » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got a CB from a biglaw firm. Any advice from those who have succeeded with their 3L CB interviews? It's a specialization that I happen to be focused in, didn't do Biglaw this last summer. I'm very happy they're interested but also a a bit of a wreck, since TLS wisdom tells me I really don't have a great shot (not saying it's impossible, but worried about getting my hopes up).

Thanks!

Anon, I got a biglaw job my 3L fall after not summering at any law firm in the prior summer. I see you are interviewing in the south so I have NO idea how that market might approach things differently, so my advice is rather broad.
Firstly, I had very good friends who, though they were only incoming associates, spoke highly on my behalf to people at the firm for me (I don't know who, but probably a close partner or a hiring staff member). I don't know if that helped me, but I think it may have given me a boost over other candidates who didn't otherwise get their name a little higher in the stack of resumes.
Secondly, I thought hard about what hiring staff are looking for in 3L hires. Probably mostly the same as 2Ls, but I wanted to show that I was bringing some more thoughtfulness and insight about why I was now doing biglaw recruiting. I think I am a strong interviewer, so I really highlighted why my summer experience really reinforced that I wanted to go into biglaw versus client-side work (which is where I was over the summer), my leadership roles during 2L, and why this particular firm was the right choice as a "seasoned" 3L. I tried to speak really intelligently and passionately about my note if it came up, so I do think it helped.

In other words, this was highly anecdotal, but my approach was "seem knowledgeable, like I really thought about why I want to go into biglaw (not just sound like I want to because all my friends are), and show that I'm a leader and a hard worker who keeps hustling." Hope that is somewhat helpful.
Last edited by JHP on Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JHP

Bronze

Postby JHP » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have a timeline for Applying --> Screener --> Call-back --> Offer?

Is it slower than 2L?

I think it tends to be faster or at least just as fast as 1L OCI just because of the circumstances that tend to surround 3L hiring. Sometimes they find that they are understaffed in particular areas and want to make sure they've secured warm bodies for the upcoming fall. Other times they non-offered or got turned down by a summer and they want to make sure they keep up the number of associates they are bringing in for practice groups, etc.

I sent in a resume/got asked to send a resume in late summer, interviewed in early fall, heard back a week after the interviews and got the offer. Seems about the same length of time for a friend who got an offer after graduation in the late spring as well.

If you get a screener, obviously the process will take longer, but for me, I went straight from applying --> call back

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:11 pm

Any movement?

Is it true that 3L hiring begins to move really in September?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:52 pm

JHP wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have a timeline for Applying --> Screener --> Call-back --> Offer?

Is it slower than 2L?

I think it tends to be faster or at least just as fast as 1L OCI just because of the circumstances that tend to surround 3L hiring. Sometimes they find that they are understaffed in particular areas and want to make sure they've secured warm bodies for the upcoming fall. Other times they non-offered or got turned down by a summer and they want to make sure they keep up the number of associates they are bringing in for practice groups, etc.

I sent in a resume/got asked to send a resume in late summer, interviewed in early fall, heard back a week after the interviews and got the offer. Seems about the same length of time for a friend who got an offer after graduation in the late spring as well.

If you get a screener, obviously the process will take longer, but for me, I went straight from applying --> call back

Thanks for letting me know, I've only gotten screeners thus far, but nor CBs.

I'm hoping hiring starts moving as the fall rolls in.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any movement?

Can't speak for what 3L hiring is like in September but it hasn't been nonexistent this summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any movement?

Can't speak for what 3L hiring is like in September but it hasn't been nonexistent this summer.

Do you mind elaborating? type/size of firm, locations, etc

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:54 pm

Bump. Wondering about timelines and updates from others about CB's, any good experiences/suggestions? etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bump. Wondering about timelines and updates from others about CB's, any good experiences/suggestions? etc.

Just had my first 3L CB last week. Felt identical to the 2L interviews, except that almost every interviewer asked, in some form, (1) whether I had an offer from my SA firm, (2) why I'm more interested in their firm, and not my SA firm, and (3) about my specific practice area interests.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:46 pm

Any NY movement?

Return to “Legal Employment�