OK to leave firm off resume?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sun511

New

OK to leave firm off resume?

Postby sun511 » Sat May 12, 2018 7:15 pm

I resigned from my law firm job after 3 months. I was wondering if I still have to include it in my resume? Am I ethically obligated to include it in my resume? I am going in for an interview at a law firm that doesn't work in the same area of law as my former law firm so there shouldn't be any conflict issue. Both firms are located in NYC.

I would like to be honest and address it head-on instead of avoiding it by giving them an updated resume at the time of the interview, but I don't want them to get the wrong impression about me.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Anonymous User

Re: OK to leave firm off resume?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 12, 2018 8:48 pm

What is the reason you left? You may want to avoid a gap in your resume if anything.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 14, 2018 4:21 pm

yeah unfortunately i think you have to list it. You can just say 2018-2018.

bruinfan10

Silver

Postby bruinfan10 » Mon May 14, 2018 5:25 pm

the responses above are not very nuanced. if you google this question, you'll notice that almost all the articles that come up draw a distinction between a resume and a job application. it appears that the consensus is you can leave a job off your resume for any number of reasons, but you don't want to lie on the job application---if it asks for all jobs held in the past x years, and you leave one off, you're clearly lying.

sun511

New

Postby sun511 » Mon May 14, 2018 7:11 pm

Thanks bruinfan10 for the distinction!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 14, 2018 9:26 pm

I agree with bruin10, but also think even with different practice area there still might be conflict issues. Just make sure at some point during conflicts check I would disclose.

ur_hero

Bronze

Postby ur_hero » Tue May 15, 2018 1:59 pm

In addition to what everyone else has said, 3 months doesn't seem like a terribly long gap to need to explain. I mean, don't lie if you're asked. But many people very easily could have just been searching for the right job in that time.

Return to “Legal Employment�