OCC vs. NYC gov 2L summer - Help??

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

OCC vs. NYC gov 2L summer - Help??

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 11, 2018 5:57 pm

Basically, I accepted a NYC state level government position and this afternoon received an offer from the OCC for a legal internship in D.C.

1. How bad is it to renege? I accepted NYC position about 2 weeks ago and have been in communication regarding start dates, etc.

2. Neither turn into jobs, but which one will better help lead to a job 3L? Is the OCC a huge catch? I will be working in an interesting field in the NYC agency, while in D.C I'd be doing financial regulation work.

3. Is NYC better because I can at least network throughout the summer? One person I talked to thought the OCC was the "clear choice," but my adviser did not think there was a huge difference and also had some strong ethical/reputation concerns about backing out of the NYC position.

Please lend me your wisdom. I don't know what to do. I'm at a T-13, both would make me the same amount of money (through PI funding).

New

Re: OCC vs. NYC gov 2L summer - Help??

Postby 2013 » Fri May 11, 2018 6:13 pm

Are you trying to get a fed job after? If not, I don’t think it makes a huge difference. You’ll be able to network with more fed people in DC, but if you’re not set on fed, not worth burning bridges.

BeeTeeZ

New

Postby BeeTeeZ » Fri May 11, 2018 11:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I will be working in an interesting field in the NYC agency.

Let me guess, data privacy?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 15, 2018 2:46 pm

I interned at the OCC as a 1L. It would be the obvious choice if you eventually want to work in the Federal govt in any regulatory capacity. I met a lot of people as an intern that summer and had a couple of managers who would have vouched for me if I had wanted to come back as a full-time attorney after law school. It's also a great agency in terms of benefits/pay/etc. if you want to try and stay there long-term.

If you don't want to work in the federal government, I think it's a wash. If you want to work in NY long-term, stick with the NY position.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 15, 2018 4:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I interned at the OCC as a 1L. It would be the obvious choice if you eventually want to work in the Federal govt in any regulatory capacity. I met a lot of people as an intern that summer and had a couple of managers who would have vouched for me if I had wanted to come back as a full-time attorney after law school. It's also a great agency in terms of benefits/pay/etc. if you want to try and stay there long-term.

If you don't want to work in the federal government, I think it's a wash. If you want to work in NY long-term, stick with the NY position.

Thanks for the response, helped a lot with the decision... Stuck with NY, hope it was the right choice.

Return to “Legal Employment?