Is this a bad idea? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ScurryRay

New

Is this a bad idea?

Post by ScurryRay » Thu May 03, 2018 6:49 pm

So, I'll try and make a long story short. I went to a Tier 3 law school and did very well. I graduated from an accelerated program (2.5 years) first in my class (3.95 GPA), won various awards, competitions, scholarships, blah, blah. I worked in the corporate world for quite awhile before law school so my resume looks really good. However, I simply cannot find a job. Over the last 6+ months, I've applied to about 90 places since I graduated (clerkships, prosecutor's offices, non-profits, etc.) and have found nothing or been offered nothing. I've had interviews with probably 5 places during that time. Made it to the final 2 in my desired field twice but both times lost out. Right now, my only realistic propositions on the table are a lower level state court clerkship in another state that I have a first interview for and a Assistant District Attorney position that I have had 2 interviews for and am "in consideration" still for the 3rd and final interview. I did not go to law school to work for a firm (not that one would hire me at this rate), I went for non-profit/public interested purposes, just for context.

The clerkship would be fine, as it buys me a year to keep looking and gives good experience. The ADA position worries me as the salary is horrendous ($46k/year in a very expensive large city) and it is a three year commitment doing something I didn't really set out to do.

So, right now I am kicking around just staying in my home state and opening a solo practice doing criminal defense (appointments, maybe), low level personal injury, expungements, rights restorations, that sort of stuff. I was thinking I could supplement income with document review work while I am finding clients and building up the business. I have some money saved up, enough to probably live on for 6+ months and get the business started if I really want to burn through it.

Does that sound like a terrible idea? Any input or knee jerk thoughts are appreciated. I really didn't think it would be so hard to find work so am sort of scratching my head asking "What now?"

Thanks for any input.

bruinfan10

Silver

Re: Is this a bad idea?

Post by bruinfan10 » Thu May 03, 2018 7:47 pm

T3 law school duder, that's rough. I would go with the clerkship. Maybe the judge can use connections to get you in the door somewhere. Doesn't sound look a bad move at all to me.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Thu May 03, 2018 8:55 pm

I always caution against opening your own practice straight out of law school. Practicing law is not generally taught in law school. That would worry me, but I am also risk-averse.

Clerking for a state judge sounds better than opening up a solo practice. You'll get to witness actual lawyering, get to know attorneys, get connections through the judge, etc. And also not have to worry about all that overhead, bringing in clients--the business aspect. If you want to open up a solo shop, you can do so after the clerkship and saving some $.

LockBox

Bronze

Post by LockBox » Fri May 04, 2018 12:56 pm

I have and have had a number of friends who were in your position - great credentials but couldn't find a job out of law school. My advice to them is the same i'll give to you - why aren't you volunteering right now? You should be strengthening your resume with law-related experience. I had extensive work history prior to law school and, get this, no one cares. If you're going to be hired in a legal capacity with no legal experience, they understand they will be training you from scratch. Having some experience will help. This is along the same lines of the recommendations above on the clerkship. Get some experience under your belt and go from there.

A few friends opened their own criminal practice (which I also do not recommend) only to parlay that experience into getting a job with a firm.

tbaker757

New

Post by tbaker757 » Tue May 15, 2018 3:25 pm

I have a partial dissent view. I actually went solo out of law school. I am happy with my choices. Be forewarned that this is not the easiest road but it can be done if that is what you want to do.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AVBucks4239

Silver

Post by AVBucks4239 » Tue May 15, 2018 4:10 pm

Like the above poster, I am also a solo practitioner. I had about four years of experience before going out on my own, but I had several friends who opened their practices straight out of law school and they are doing well. So I don't think it's ideal, but I do think you can do it.

You're obviously smart, and you prepared for law school, so I would recommend the following books to prepare yourself:
1. How to Start and Build a Law Practice
2. Solo By Choice
3. The Lawyer's Ultimate Guide to Online Leads

In terms of finances, I would recommend the following:
1. Keep fixed costs as low as possible. My practice is in its second month and my average total monthly expense is about $650/month (this may not be possible in your market, but shoot for something cheap)
2. Find an office share arrangement. My costs are so low because I had good relationships with lawyers and they charge me $400/month. This includes access to two conference rooms, fax, internet, phone (including receptionist), copier, scanner, etc. My biggest expenses are basically nil because of this.
2. Excluding rent, keep startup costs below $1,500. Get a Lenovo thinkpad, use Google Suites, build your website on Wix, buy business cards from Vistaprint, and beyond that everything else is extra.
3. Don't do anything vastly expensive (hiring staff, having your own office, buying new furniture for your entire office, etc.) until you are bringing in $10,000 per month

In terms of practice areas:
1. Definitely get on the criminal appointment list -- trial court and appellate court
2. Take a guardian ad litem CLE and do that work as well
3. Market whatever interests you, but practice as a generalist -- you should only start turning away cases when you don't have time to figure new ones out

In terms of marketing:
1. Definitely have a website, and do it on your own
2. Start (right now) making a list of every contact you know so you can send them a letter about opening your own practice
3. Join local bar associations, let attorneys know you are starting your own practice, and let them know you can cover hearings for them or help co-counsel. Other solos are better for this than other attorneys in firms (they keep as much as possible in house)
4. Check your local dockets for credit card companies and foreclosure mills. Identify their counsel, and if they are far away, send them a letter advising them that you can cover hearings for $100. I cover about three hearings a week, $300 per week x 4 weeks per month = $1,200, which means I've more than covered my expenses just by breathing and being able to show up at a courthouse.

There's a ton to learn, and I'm eventually probably going to write my own 3,000 word post on here (like my personal finance thread) with more detail. But if you do the above, you'll make it. You won't be rich off the bat, but you'll make it. And then you'll start getting referrals. And then you'll be fine.

Let me know if you have any questions.

nontradtrooper

New

Post by nontradtrooper » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:21 am

Excellent advice!

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Post by gaddockteeg » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:48 pm

Do the clerkship. Start your own practice afterwards. You'll learn a tremendous amount from the clerkship that will serve you well if/when you open your own practice. It also sounds like you dont know 100% what you want to do so I think the clerkship will be great towards figuring htat out by giving you exposure to different types of law.

Wubbles

Bronze

Post by Wubbles » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:22 pm

Did no one read that he doesn't have the clerkship offer yet?

Int'lshoe

New

Post by Int'lshoe » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:53 pm

Keep applying/interviewing/etc. and take the best offer you can get. You are just out of a regional law school and you need legal experience in order to be marketable to other firms/agencies/etc. and potential clients. You are much more likely to be successful in your own practice if you can say that you clerked or worked as an ADA for a few years before going it alone. Many referral agencies and attorney lists require minimum levels of experience even to qualify to be on. It may not be exactly what you want (and the pay may be horrible) but you need something law-related on your resume right out of school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”