2nd Semester 1L terrified of bombing OCI - what are my chances? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2nd Semester 1L terrified of bombing OCI - what are my chances?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:08 am

Apologies for the anon post but I'm about to give you a lot of personal information in hopes of honest opinions on my shots at OCI/2L SA/biglaw career.

I'm at a T15, male, non-URM minority, with 3 years of (not particularly impressive - I was at two different nonprofits) work experience pre-law school. My first semester gpa is a 3.0 and I'm not feeling too hot about upcoming finals. I'm vice president of a campus affinity group, on moot court, and am hoping for a secondary journal before summer OCI. I'm okay at interviews but not amazing. Assuming my grades stay the same or just marginally increase, do I have a shot at all at an NYC or LA biglaw 2L SA gig? Thanks.

bwh8813

Bronze

Re: 2nd Semester 1L terrified of bombing OCI - what are my chances?

Post by bwh8813 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:47 am

The only thing you should be focused on and concerned about right now is doing the best you can on your second semester finals. Don't waste time or emotional energy worrying about hypotheticals out of your control at the moment. I know it's tough when you think your whole future will depend on OCI, but to put yourself in the best position possible for OCI you need to get the best grades possible this semester. What you can control at this point is how hard (and efficiently) you study for finals.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Apologies for the anon post but I'm about to give you a lot of personal information in hopes of honest opinions on my shots at OCI/2L SA/biglaw career.

I'm at a T15, male, non-URM minority, with 3 years of (not particularly impressive - I was at two different nonprofits) work experience pre-law school. My first semester gpa is a 3.0 and I'm not feeling too hot about upcoming finals. I'm vice president of a campus affinity group, on moot court, and am hoping for a secondary journal before summer OCI. I'm okay at interviews but not amazing. Assuming my grades stay the same or just marginally increase, do I have a shot at all at an NYC or LA biglaw 2L SA gig? Thanks.
So I am a 2L at a "T15." I also had a 3.0 after my first semester, and my second semester brought that up marginally. I self-selected onto a secondary journal as well. So, I know exactly how you're feeling. But the above comment is right - the best thing you could do for yourself right now is not to concern yourself with hypotheticals, but to just concentrate on killing your upcoming finals. But, because I was in a very similar position as you and I deeply empathize, I'll tell you what I learned from my own circumstances.

I didn't end up with a biglaw gig through OCI. In fact, I still don't have a biglaw gig. But what I have been doing, is networking. Like crazy. After write-on, start sending out feeler emails/calls to firms, explicitly asking to learn more about the firm, and either heavily implying or outright stating you would like to come in for an interview. Being forthright isn't a bad thing - people at law firms are people too. They're also very busy, so if you can avoid wasting their time by getting right to the point, then that's great. Make sure to target midsized firms with your interest as well (there are plenty of those in NYC and LA). Talk to attorneys you know for advice, and lean on contacts you have to get you "ins" at firms (the hardest part is getting your name to stand out from the thousands of other applications the firm has). But yes, the key to your future right now (AFTER WRITE ON) will be how effectively you network. When it comes to my own experiences, though I don't have a SA position lined up, I have made incredibly solid contacts in a number of firms, that I plan to tap once August rolls around, and firms start debating whether their SA class is sufficient to meet their needs.

When it comes time to bid for OCI, you can try for some reach firms, but I wouldn't bother. Do serious research on firms participating at OCI, beyond whatever GPA data your school gives you. Bid at firms you have a realistic shot at, and don't waste high-ranking bids on other (more competitive) firms. Target firms with the largest class sizes, and/or firms with a large alumni network that you can work with. Also, target midsized firms with smaller class sizes (2-5 SAs), because those firms might consider personality at the screening stage, more-so than bigger firms that have sharp GPA cutoffs. This is something I wish I would have done a better job at, pre-OCI.

Also, become close with at least one person at your school's OCS office. Don't be a stranger to them. Let them know the position you're in, and that you will be returning to them often to make sure you fulfill your goals. OCS sees a lot of students, but if you can become familiar/friendly to them, they're more likely to go to bat for you.

Make sure your interviewing skills are up to snuff. Do as many mock interviews as you can - through your school or otherwise. You may think you're great, but you don't know until someone picks apart the flaws.

EDIT: HEAVILY CONSIDER AN EXTERNSHIP! An externship during the fall/spring of 2L is a fantastic way to set yourself apart, show interest and gain experience in your field of choice, and most of all, gives you a great shot to build connections and NETWORK with power and connected people in that practice area.

Lastly, if your GPA ends up being below a 3.3/median, don't put it on your resume. I've spoken to dozens of hiring attorneys outside of interviews, and there seems to be a split, but with a slight bent to the idea that if your resume is below median, then it gives them an easy way to disqualify you without having to give much thought to your other experience (though others will say that if your GPA isn't on your resume, then that sends up a red flag). But I think it's better to be risk-averse in this situation and to leave it off. That way, when you get into your OCI screener and the screener's eyes scan your resume, they don't automatically throw your resume in the trash after you leave the room because they saw your GPA right as the interview began, coloring their entire impression of you as a candidate.

Anyway, that's my summarized advice. Hope it helps. But like what was stated before, this is your priority list as of right now: Finals>Write-On>Networking.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue May 01, 2018 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

malibustacy

Bronze

Post by malibustacy » Tue May 01, 2018 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Apologies for the anon post but I'm about to give you a lot of personal information in hopes of honest opinions on my shots at OCI/2L SA/biglaw career.

One step at a time. However, 3.0 at a T15 school puts you in the bottom 20%. LA isn't happening. NY is likely not happening either, unless someone takes a particular shine to you or you interview out of your mind.

If you get a 3.5 this semester, that's a 3.25 average, and that puts you in a much better position. Work your butt off.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Tue May 01, 2018 7:07 pm

OP, you should stop worrying about OCI right now because as it stands, you have a 0% chance of biglaw. You aren’t getting biglaw with anywhere near your grades given your school. Also stop trying to make “t15” a thing. It’s t13 and then the rest. Either you are at Georgetown or UT. Even if you lied and are at UCLA/USC, st best those schools place 35-40%% into biglaw. You aren’t even close to the top half, so your chances are legitimately 0.

Now that you know, stop worrying. The only thing that will lead you to a successful OCI and biglaw is crushing this semester. That’s what matters.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 01, 2018 8:40 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:OP, you should stop worrying about OCI right now because as it stands, you have a 0% chance of biglaw. You aren’t getting biglaw with anywhere near your grades given your school. Also stop trying to make “t15” a thing. It’s t13 and then the rest. Either you are at Georgetown or UT. Even if you lied and are at UCLA/USC, st best those schools place 35-40%% into biglaw. You aren’t even close to the top half, so your chances are legitimately 0.

Now that you know, stop worrying. The only thing that will lead you to a successful OCI and biglaw is crushing this semester. That’s what matters.
I just want to point out that this is blatantly incorrect. Even a small boost to GPA would greatly raise OPs chances. He's far from out of the running, even with his grades.

Source: At a "T15" and know a handful of people with subpar GPAs that got biglaw/midlaw because they hustled their asses. Not saying OP has a good shot, but it's nowhere near a "0% chance"

NYCounsel

New

Post by NYCounsel » Tue May 01, 2018 9:06 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:OP, you should stop worrying about OCI right now because as it stands, you have a 0% chance of biglaw. You aren’t getting biglaw with anywhere near your grades given your school ... you aren’t even close to the top half, so your chances are legitimately 0.

Except conventional wisdom is often garbage (read: unreliable), especially when taken to an extreme like the quoted text, OP.

Biglaw is not out of your reach, but as has been said you want to stay focused on the task at hand - finals - and do the work. I understand it's easier said then done. I have biglaw secured and yet, despite being in the midst of finals, I'm still spending notable time thinking, preparing, reading, etc. about biglaw/ways of succeeding and getting an offer. I think the best/only legitimate bit of advice from the quoted post is to do what you can to crush it this semester. But no matter your school, grades, etc. there are always ways to get to the goal you seek. Don't cave or quit because conventional wisdom says you can't do it. If anything, let that stimulate your creativity to find solutions. Good luck.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 03, 2018 12:11 pm

Relax. I am at 2nd tier school in large market (NY/LA/SF), white male, with one year of sales experience pre-law school, ranked in top 25% of my class, and I got a bad grade in first year legal writing. But I managed to secure an externship at the district court, took an upper div writing course 1L summer and received first honors, and wrote on to a secondary journal. Still, my pre-OCI chances looked like hell.

I was friendly with the Dean of recruiting/career development, and he helped me get more interviews than I was awarded through the bidding system. Regardless, I only received one CB from a firm I had a connection at, but ultimately did not receive a biglaw SA offer. I did receive an offer from a midlaw firm in a tertiary market (widely considered a horrible place to live).

I did not sleep the night I found out. I got busy drafting CLs and mass-mailing every biglaw firm in the country. I emailed the hiring partners/managers/POC and explained that I was very interested in their firm, but I had an exploding offer from another firm (which was technically true). Out of that, I received two add'l interviews, which led to ONE offer at a v50 firm.

TLDR: don't give up, and life will work out

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 04, 2018 3:19 pm

I am going to assume you are LGBT and should definitely look into attending Lavender Law and the Bay Area Diversity Career Fair. Your grades are important so try to center yourself for this next round of finals.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”