Akerman LLP? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Akerman LLP?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:54 pm

Anyone know anything about the firm? I saw on vault that it pays significantly below market, but other than that, don’t know much.

Is it a decent firm? Is it midlaw/regional?

I’ve had recruiters reaching out about opportunities here and I don’t know much about it.

Seems like it is growing rapidly, which seems problematic if the economy ranks again.

Any info appreciated.

redsox550

Re: Akerman LLP?

Post by redsox550 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:23 am

It is a top Florida firm well known throughout south Florida. Not sure how their other offices are regarded. Even in FL the reputation I've heard is that they work with mostly local clients (south Florida companies) compared to GT or others in FL that probably have a good mix of FL and national/international clients.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:03 pm

redsox550 wrote:It is a top Florida firm well known throughout south Florida. Not sure how their other offices are regarded. Even in FL the reputation I've heard is that they work with mostly local clients (south Florida companies) compared to GT or others in FL that probably have a good mix of FL and national/international clients.
This is pretty accurate from what I know. Known as a South Florida firm known for real estate. Probably about half of its offices are in FL.

The satellite offices are not very big players in their respective markets.

I have a friend at a satellite office and from what I can tell, she got to take a significant amount of vacation out of the office, so for the much lesser market pay, maybe the billable requirements are a lot lower as a trade-off but I can't confirm that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:41 am

How much below market it is? Not sure if your friend has told you.

What are some comparable firms in and out of Florida? I see that Gunster is another Florida firm. Is it on par with that?

I know that Holland & Knight and GT dominate Florida, so is the firm considered second tier in FL as well?

Would this be considered midlaw/regional biglaw?

redsox550

Post by redsox550 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:How much below market it is? Not sure if your friend has told you.

What are some comparable firms in and out of Florida? I see that Gunster is another Florida firm. Is it on par with that?

I know that Holland & Knight and GT dominate Florida, so is the firm considered second tier in FL as well?

In terms of firms in FLORIDA it’s right up there at the top and can arguably claim the #1 spot in Florida (though most in the real know give that to GT). No idea about your other questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How much below market it is? Not sure if your friend has told you.

I have no idea on pay. In Florida, particularly South Florida, it is a top firm. It is not "big law" by a lot of standards here at TLS in that it is not a top NYC transactional firm, but big law in other respects, minus pay.

For what it's worth, friend lateraled to a more traditional V100 firm, so there are exit options, but I guess that is also dependent on the market.

They have several offices that do a lot of debt collection defense ("financial services" is what they advertise it as). That is more mid-law/regional, but I wouldn't characterize the entire firm that way.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:20 pm

OP here.

I’m currently at a v100 (black box firm). I wouldn’t be doing debt collection work. From my understanding, they are hiring in their corporate dept.

Is the pay over, say, 175k for a mid level or does the $160k-$170k starting salary stay pretty flat year after year?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here.

I’m currently at a v100 (black box firm). I wouldn’t be doing debt collection work. From my understanding, they are hiring in their corporate dept.

Is the pay over, say, 175k for a mid level or does the $160k-$170k starting salary stay pretty flat year after year?
The firm's M&A group is bringing in a ton of solid PE work from FLA/DC/NYC and is growing a lot. The midlevels are well over $175k.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:38 pm

So I talked with a classmate who works there now I guess. They said that partners in the transactional areas (tax and corporate) seem to be doing very well. They said the bonuses and raises are practice group dependent so I guess that means those practice groups have the highest salaries? Not sure. Anyone have any info on this?

If I were to go there and m&a goes through a dry spell, will I be paid less because it’s practice group specific?

I’ve never heard of pay being divided up by practice group but maybe that’s a thing for some of these firms that have weird “midlaw”/less profitable practice groups?

Anyone work there? Any help is appreciated

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”