Applying for jobs that require 3+ Yrs WE but you only have summer WE Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
stephcurry30

New

Applying for jobs that require 3+ Yrs WE but you only have summer WE

Post by stephcurry30 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:23 pm

For those of you in the c/o 2017 still looking for jobs, have you also found that most of the jobs posted always seem to be looking for 3+ years of WE? I’ve applied to these positions in the hopes that maybe out of applying to 50 of these maybe one would lead to even a screener but haven’t had much luck. Have any of you had better luck and have any advice/pro tips?

RCSOB657

Gold

Re: Applying for jobs that require 3+ Yrs WE but you only have summer WE

Post by RCSOB657 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:06 am

Stop applying to jobs that require 3 years of work experience if all you have is a summer or two.

Especially if that's post bar or post jd required experience.

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:04 am

Does three months sound like a year to you?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:29 am

RCSOB657 wrote:Stop applying to jobs that require 3 years of work experience if all you have is a summer or two.

Especially if that's post bar or post jd required experience.
OP here. First, thanks for your response, regardless.

Second, to clarify, I’m not exclusively applying to these jobs (50 was more hyperbole). It’s just that mass mailing has been coming up pretty unfruitful for me so I’m trying to apply to more jobs. My problem is that the majority of postings on my school’s job board are either summer associate/ diversity positions for current law students or those that require 3+ years WE. That’s why I’ve been applying to these positions because I had been told by some on this forum, as well as from my CSO, that sometimes this isn’t a hard requirement.

If given the above, and your advice is still to not apply to these jobs, what if any thing else can I be doing to increase my chances of getting more interviews?

Fyi, post-grad, passed one bar, waiting on ube score in this jurisdiction that I’m trying to find jobs in.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:58 am

I got my first litigation job at a mid size firm that wanted 5 to 10 years experience. Posted on LinkedIn.

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:30 pm

Sometimes it's not a problem. I'm always upfront on my cover letter with essentially the same info when there's not a match

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”