Biglaw or no? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mimmsi

New

Biglaw or no?

Post by mimmsi » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:34 pm

I recently got the opportunity to work in my dream (but big law only) area of law, and I'm not sure what to do. I graduated a few years ago from a T2 school, did well enough to land a job right out of law school (although admittedly I was so nervous I wouldn't get a job so I took the first thing available). I work about 45-50 hours a week and earn $100k a year and have no loans and my firm is small-midsized. I absolutely love the people I work with. The only problem is that I never intended to end up in the area that I'm currently practicing in and I just don't care about it very much. It pays the bills, job is secure but it's definitely not something I was ever interested in.

As far as I can tell, this new opportunity offers me the chance to work in THE AREA of law that I was really passionate about in school but never had the opportunity to work in (out of fear and risk aversion). Other than that it also pays much better, but we're okay on money. I really struggle with this decision and can't tell if I'm passing on a great opportunity to do what I always dreamed of or if I don't know how good I've got it and should just focus on being a better lawyer in the area I'm in.

Anonymous User

Re: Biglaw or no?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:13 pm

mimmsi wrote:I recently got the opportunity to work in my dream (but big law only) area of law, and I'm not sure what to do. I graduated a few years ago from a T2 school, did well enough to land a job right out of law school (although admittedly I was so nervous I wouldn't get a job so I took the first thing available). I work about 45-50 hours a week and earn $100k a year and have no loans and my firm is small-midsized. I absolutely love the people I work with. The only problem is that I never intended to end up in the area that I'm currently practicing in and I just don't care about it very much. It pays the bills, job is secure but it's definitely not something I was ever interested in.

As far as I can tell, this new opportunity offers me the chance to work in THE AREA of law that I was really passionate about in school but never had the opportunity to work in (out of fear and risk aversion). Other than that it also pays much better, but we're okay on money. I really struggle with this decision and can't tell if I'm passing on a great opportunity to do what I always dreamed of or if I don't know how good I've got it and should just focus on being a better lawyer in the area I'm in.
I mean you’ve got it good, but life is short. I’d go for it, grind for a few years, and see if you can end up in a similar position doing what you want to do. I’d rather take a risk and fail then look back on my career and think what could have been. That’s just me tho.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:53 am

mimmsi wrote:I recently got the opportunity to work in my dream (but big law only) area of law, and I'm not sure what to do. I graduated a few years ago from a T2 school, did well enough to land a job right out of law school (although admittedly I was so nervous I wouldn't get a job so I took the first thing available). I work about 45-50 hours a week and earn $100k a year and have no loans and my firm is small-midsized. I absolutely love the people I work with. The only problem is that I never intended to end up in the area that I'm currently practicing in and I just don't care about it very much. It pays the bills, job is secure but it's definitely not something I was ever interested in.

I don't know, 45-50 hours per week to earn 100k a year is a pretty sweet, low stress deal.

I can't really think of a BigLaw practice area that most would be really passionate about, but that's me.

It is definitely a personal decision weighing lifestyle vs. prestige and practice areas.

ruski

Bronze

Post by ruski » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:20 pm

i also don't understand how you can be this passionate about any area. to me, who you are working with is way more important and if you have a good team now, why risk it. unless you're doing a 180 like going from corporate to litigation. if you're moving from m&A to securities or one type of litigation to another, i don't really see how your life can improve

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:20 pm

yeah what big law area could you possibly be passionate enough about to leave this great set uo

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gregfootball2001

Silver

Post by gregfootball2001 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:10 pm

Do some more research. What do you know about the people you'd be working for, and with, at the new firm? Are they reasonable, or are they screamers? How much do the associates bill? Do the associates get to substantively contribute to whatever the work is? What are the exit options like, in case you hate it?

You shouldn't stay somewhere just because you're comfortable. But don't move to a new position blindly. The fact that it's an area of law you think you like is great, but find out more about the specific job. Then make a decision.

diversifiablerisk

New

Post by diversifiablerisk » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:55 am

Would you mind sharing what area of law you're currently in? It sounds like a really great set up!

mimmsi

New

Post by mimmsi » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:51 am

Thank you for the responses. I am currently in commercial real estate. The job I'm being offered is more traditional corporate transactional stuff but international - the latter really appeals to me as I am not originally from America and speak multiple European languages fluently. I dream about relocating back over the pond one day, but have no idea how to get there. Thinking about these replies, I just realized that I don't care at all about prestige and I do plan to have a family in the next 3-4 years. My husband is also a lawyer, so chances are I'll still be the primary. I don't think it is right for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”