SAUSA exit options Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

SAUSA exit options

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:00 pm

I know that AUSA exit options are far greater than a SAUSA's. However, I was wondering what possible exit options exist for SAUSAs?

Rowinguy2009

Bronze

Re: SAUSA exit options

Post by Rowinguy2009 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:13 pm

Exit options are pretty much similar in type to that of an AUSA, just, as you acknowledged, the SAUSA doesn't have quite the same cache as a permanent AUSA position. I assume the vast majority of people do the SAUSA because they want to becomes a full time AUSA. Depending on your other credentials, other litigating components within government and certain litigation firms would probably value this experience as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:46 pm

After SAUSA, you’ll be a lock for pretty much any unpaid position out there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:After SAUSA, you’ll be a lock for pretty much any unpaid position out there.
OP here. I'm a bit confused - why unpaid?

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:43 pm

I have not made it over to the USAO, but among my friends who took positions in flyover country, they're finding it WAY harder to get their foot in other offices than this site anticipates. I'd imagine SAUSAs would find it even harder. I think what's happened is the disruption following the hiring freeze/new USAs meant that there were fewer jobs all over the country, which meant that the few jobs that did posted had their pick of super qualified applicants.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Person1111

Bronze

Post by Person1111 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:After SAUSA, you’ll be a lock for pretty much any unpaid position out there.
OP here. I'm a bit confused - why unpaid?
whooooooosh

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:28 am

The term SAUSA is somewhat vague. I think it depends on what type of SAUSA you are.

In the most classical sense, SAUSA attorneys are usually junior attorneys in federal agencies, including DOJ, that need courtroom experience. Their home agencies will loan these attorneys to the USAO for a detail - usually six months - to handle basic felony and misdemeanors. These SAUSAs return to their home agencies with more courtroom experience and are able to make greater contributions to their agency. Some among this group are recognized as potential stars and are recruited/poached by the USAO. The home agency can usually offer a better pay package, but the USAO is usually more fun.

Another group of SAUSAs have specialized experience in child exploitation, immigration, healthcare fraud, opioid enforcement, or other niche areas. They are from state or other federal agencies, but instead of loaned out for a short period of time, they are actually embedded in the USAO indefinitely. They are known as long term SAUSAs. They typically work closer with more seasoned AUSAs in their area of expertise and provide guidance and resources for the prosecution team. They are, at least in their area of expertise, functionally equivalent of an AUSA. Because their expertise is so specialized, exit options here are dependent on: (1) the significance of the cases they bring; and (2) the area of expertise. A drug SAUSA isn't going to be a partner in a law firm; a health-care fraud SAUSA who has handled a dozen or so significant prosecutions might be able to.

Finally, there's another group of SAUSAs in recent time. They are attorneys who agree to work for free. These SAUSAs are generally in the same boat as the classical SAUSAs. These SAUSAs generally get basic felony/misdemeanor experience. The general term for this type of SAUSA is 1 year. Generally, SAUSAs want to become full time AUSAs and they will have a leg up on most applicants because they'll have completed the background check and have relevant translatable experience. Still, it is a risky move, because I've seen volunteer SAUSAs strike out at USAOs. I suppose a SAUSA, as long as they are fairly junior, could also be competitive at local litigation firms or other government agencies.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:The term SAUSA is somewhat vague. I think it depends on what type of SAUSA you are.

In the most classical sense, SAUSA attorneys are usually junior attorneys in federal agencies, including DOJ, that need courtroom experience. Their home agencies will loan these attorneys to the USAO for a detail - usually six months - to handle basic felony and misdemeanors. These SAUSAs return to their home agencies with more courtroom experience and are able to make greater contributions to their agency. Some among this group are recognized as potential stars and are recruited/poached by the USAO. The home agency can usually offer a better pay package, but the USAO is usually more fun.

Another group of SAUSAs have specialized experience in child exploitation, immigration, healthcare fraud, opioid enforcement, or other niche areas. They are from state or other federal agencies, but instead of loaned out for a short period of time, they are actually embedded in the USAO indefinitely. They are known as long term SAUSAs. They typically work closer with more seasoned AUSAs in their area of expertise and provide guidance and resources for the prosecution team. They are, at least in their area of expertise, functionally equivalent of an AUSA. Because their expertise is so specialized, exit options here are dependent on: (1) the significance of the cases they bring; and (2) the area of expertise. A drug SAUSA isn't going to be a partner in a law firm; a health-care fraud SAUSA who has handled a dozen or so significant prosecutions might be able to.

Finally, there's another group of SAUSAs in recent time. They are attorneys who agree to work for free. These SAUSAs are generally in the same boat as the classical SAUSAs. These SAUSAs generally get basic felony/misdemeanor experience. The general term for this type of SAUSA is 1 year. Generally, SAUSAs want to become full time AUSAs and they will have a leg up on most applicants because they'll have completed the background check and have relevant translatable experience. Still, it is a risky move, because I've seen volunteer SAUSAs strike out at USAOs. I suppose a SAUSA, as long as they are fairly junior, could also be competitive at local litigation firms or other government agencies.
OP here. Thank you for your response. I should have clarified my original post; I am currently a SAUSA paid by another agency. I actually had no idea that there were SAUSAs that worked for free, which was why I was confused on the post above.

I was curious as to exit options that were not related to becoming an AUSA, and I think you have answered that question. Thank you!

abogadesq

Silver

Post by abogadesq » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:24 pm

Just a hunch OP, did you detail from CPB or ICE?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:07 pm

abogadesq wrote:Just a hunch OP, did you detail from CPB or ICE?
What's CBP? And neither - from Post Office.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”