3L GPA Drop Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3L GPA Drop

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:39 am

My GPA has fallen substantially since 1L year from top 5%-10% to potentially below top 10%. I am a 3L at a T50 firm heading to a V10 firm next year.

To what extent will lateral firms care about GPA? How does this change X years out?

I have read the threads here discussing GPA drops at T6/14 schools, but am worried because of my school’s T50 status.

Thanks for your input.

BeeTeeZ

Bronze

Re: 3L GPA Drop

Post by BeeTeeZ » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My GPA has fallen substantially since 1L year from top 5%-10% to potentially below top 10%.
So you consider it a "substantial" drop to go from the top 10% to below the top 10%, which could be the top 11%. Could you be more specific, or do you think dropping 1% in class rank would be "substantial."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:40 pm

BeeTeeZ wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My GPA has fallen substantially since 1L year from top 5%-10% to potentially below top 10%.
So you consider it a "substantial" drop to go from the top 10% to below the top 10%, which could be the top 11%. Could you be more specific, or do you think dropping 1% in class rank would be "substantial."
OP here, sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant more like a 10% rank drop. And that drop might be past the top 10% designation, meaning less latin honors.

I am just wondering if anyone has any relevant experiences in the lateral market with this kind of thing. Do firms scrutinize lateral GPAs in the same way they would during OCI?

BeeTeeZ

Bronze

Post by BeeTeeZ » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BeeTeeZ wrote:
OP here, sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant more like a 10% rank drop. And that drop might be past the top 10% designation, meaning less latin honors.

I am just wondering if anyone has any relevant experiences in the lateral market with this kind of thing. Do firms scrutinize lateral GPAs in the same way they would during OCI?
Thanks for clarifying OP. Anecdotal, but I know several graduates from my t30 that graduated without honors, but in the top third of the class, and they have lateraled all over the place in the v50 range. At my school you get honors for graduating in the top 20%, and those graduates are all doing very well at white shoe firms. I really don't see why going to a t50 vs a t30 would make much of a difference in outcome, the difference is marginal, especially since so many schools share ranks in that range. Your GPA certainly won't prevent you from landing an offer this summer, and if you choose to lateral down the road, a GPA that places you in the top 20% of your class won't pose any obstacle outside a handful of firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:49 pm

BeeTeeZ wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BeeTeeZ wrote:

Thanks for clarifying OP. Anecdotal, but I know several graduates from my t30 that graduated without honors, but in the top third of the class, and they have lateraled all over the place in the v50 range. At my school you get honors for graduating in the top 20%, and those graduates are all doing very well at white shoe firms. I really don't see why going to a t50 vs a t30 would make much of a difference in outcome, the difference is marginal, especially since so many schools share ranks in that range. Your GPA certainly won't prevent you from landing an offer this summer, and if you choose to lateral down the road, a GPA that places you in the top 20% of your class won't pose any obstacle outside a handful of firms.
Thanks for sharing. I am a graduating 3L, so I already have an offer in hand. Just feeling anxious about potential future steps.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”