Thank-You Email Questions.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 309292
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Thank-You Email Questions.

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:15 pm

I know this topic has been done to death, but I'm wondering if the circumstances make it any different.

Firm is midsized. >100 associates. Not hiring on a normal mass cycle. Do I send a thank you email?

Also, if I do send thank you emails, should I use first name if I addressed them by their first name when I met them? Or always use "Mr./Ms. X" regardless?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309292
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Thank-You Email Questions.

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know this topic has been done to death, but I'm wondering if the circumstances make it any different.

Firm is midsized. >100 associates. Not hiring on a normal mass cycle.

Also, if I do send thank you emails, should I use first name if I addressed them by their first name when I met them? Or always use "Mr./Ms. X" regardless?


It also helps to send a typed letter. I thought I botched my interview with a federal agency I really wanted to work at, but I sent a typed letter via snail mail. I got the job a couple days later.

didntretake

New
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 11:31 am

Re: Thank-You Email Questions.

Postby didntretake » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:50 pm

Yes you should send thank you notes because you are a human and they are humans.

hugerez

New
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:27 pm

Re: Thank-You Email Questions.

Postby hugerez » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:30 pm

I was not planning on hiring this person but I got a very nice thank you letter, so I overlooked every reason not to hire them and changed my mind. Said no one ever.

I was going to hire this person but I got a thank you email that sounded desperate/creepy and had typos. I didnt make him or her an offer. Said many ppl on TLS.

You decide.

totesTheGoat

Silver
Posts: 618
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:32 pm

Re: Thank-You Email Questions.

Postby totesTheGoat » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:22 pm

hugerez wrote:I was going to hire this person but I got a thank you email that sounded desperate/creepy and had typos. I didnt make him or her an offer. Said many ppl on TLS.


Yup. I've received such emails before. Not that the candidate had a chance in the first place, but it took him from the "maybe" pile to the "definitely no" pile. If you're going to send a thank-you email, keep it brief and generic.
"Hello John,

Thank you for the opportunity to interview with you today. I'm glad to meet a fellow avid tennis player! I hope we get a chance to play sometime!

Best Regards,
Samantha"

Anonymous User
Posts: 309292
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Thank-You Email Questions.

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:53 am

totesTheGoat wrote:
hugerez wrote:I was going to hire this person but I got a thank you email that sounded desperate/creepy and had typos. I didnt make him or her an offer. Said many ppl on TLS.


Yup. I've received such emails before. Not that the candidate had a chance in the first place, but it took him from the "maybe" pile to the "definitely no" pile. If you're going to send a thank-you email, keep it brief and generic.
"Hello John,

Thank you for the opportunity to interview with you today. I'm glad to meet a fellow avid tennis player! I hope we get a chance to play sometime!

Best Regards,
Samantha"


As expected, the common knowledge is "better to not send a thank you email than to risk sending one." But do you all think the size of the firm and interviewing off OCI-cycle factor in to whether sending a thank you email actually becomes something expected?

hugerez

New
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:27 pm

Re: Thank-You Email Questions.

Postby hugerez » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
totesTheGoat wrote:
hugerez wrote:I was going to hire this person but I got a thank you email that sounded desperate/creepy and had typos. I didnt make him or her an offer. Said many ppl on TLS.


Yup. I've received such emails before. Not that the candidate had a chance in the first place, but it took him from the "maybe" pile to the "definitely no" pile. If you're going to send a thank-you email, keep it brief and generic.
"Hello John,

Thank you for the opportunity to interview with you today. I'm glad to meet a fellow avid tennis player! I hope we get a chance to play sometime!

Best Regards,
Samantha"


As expected, the common knowledge is "better to not send a thank you email than to risk sending one." But do you all think the size of the firm and interviewing off OCI-cycle factor in to whether sending a thank you email actually becomes something expected?


No. Never. Unless the firm asks for one and that is also never.

totesTheGoat

Silver
Posts: 618
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:32 pm

Re: Thank-You Email Questions.

Postby totesTheGoat » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote: But do you all think the size of the firm and interviewing off OCI-cycle factor in to whether sending a thank you email actually becomes something expected?


It's not expected anywhere, no matter the circumstances. Some older folks find it a welcome surprise, but they are few and far between. At least for me, the decision is already made by the time I would receive a thank you note. Either your resume is already in the "made the cut" pile, or it has been thrown away. I'm not fishing it out of the trash can just because somebody sent me a thank you email.

The only situation where I'd maybe write such a letter is if you're overqualified for the job. In that case, it signals that you're still interested in the position. That obviously doesn't apply in your situation.



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.