Biglaw Labor & Employment practice

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Biglaw Labor & Employment practice

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:15 pm

Accepted an SA offer with the labor&employment group at a biglaw firm. This is a somewhat large practice group at this office (around 25 at an office of 90).

For those practicing L&E in Biglaw, please tell me about it. What do you like? What don't you like? What does you day look like? What are typical Biglaw exit options for L&E lawyers? Maybe there are questions I haven't asked that you would have wanted to know back when you were in my position. Please share.

I lobbed a lot of questions with the intent of getting a conversation going. I am grateful for any info you are willing to provide. Thank you!

RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: Biglaw Labor & Employment practice

Postby RaceJudicata » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Accepted an SA offer with the labor&employment group at a biglaw firm. This is a somewhat large practice group at this office (around 25 at an office of 90).

For those practicing L&E in Biglaw, please tell me about it. What do you like? What don't you like? What does you day look like? What are typical Biglaw exit options for L&E lawyers? Maybe there are questions I haven't asked that you would have wanted to know back when you were in my position. Please share.

I lobbed a lot of questions with the intent of getting a conversation going. I am grateful for any info you are willing to provide. Thank you!

Junior associate at a biglaw firm known for its Labor & Employment practice (e.g., Jones Day, Morgan Lewis, Proskauer, etc.). I think L&E is a great practice, particularly for gaining experience. There are a wide variety of cases -- small, single plaintiff cases, class actions, investigations, etc. so you will get a variety of experience. On smaller cases you will probably be running the show; and on larger cases your experience will be the more typical biglaw lit grunt work. (Granted, when you are on a small case flying solo with one partner, you have to do the grunt work also).

I can say for certain that I have gotten more hands-on drafting and client interaction experience than my general lit peers...by a lot.

Exit options seem to be good from my firm... most go in-house at large, institutional clients ...any company with lots of employees is going to need L&E attorneys (e.g., retail, banks, oil, big tech, etc.).

Day to day experience is going to vary widely - depending on what types of matters you are staffed on. No way to definitively answer that question.

As far as downsides, L&E can't command the rates of other practices, so firms combat that with (1) volume and (2) crappy billing arrangements. I can imagine that at some firms, L&E attorneys are considered a secondary/service practice group that isn't seen as important...fortunately that hasn't been the case in my (limited) experience at my firm.

Anonymous User

Re: Biglaw Labor & Employment practice

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:47 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Accepted an SA offer with the labor&employment group at a biglaw firm. This is a somewhat large practice group at this office (around 25 at an office of 90).

Junior associate at a biglaw firm known for its Labor & Employment practice (e.g., Jones Day, Morgan Lewis, Proskauer, etc.). I think L&E is a great practice, particularly for gaining experience. There are a wide variety of cases -- small, single plaintiff cases, class actions, investigations, etc. so you will get a variety of experience. On smaller cases you will probably be running the show; and on larger cases your experience will be the more typical biglaw lit grunt work. (Granted, when you are on a small case flying solo with one partner, you have to do the grunt work also).

I can say for certain that I have gotten more hands-on drafting and client interaction experience than my general lit peers...by a lot.

Exit options seem to be good from my firm... most go in-house at large, institutional clients ...any company with lots of employees is going to need L&E attorneys (e.g., retail, banks, oil, big tech, etc.).

Day to day experience is going to vary widely - depending on what types of matters you are staffed on. No way to definitively answer that question.

As far as downsides, L&E can't command the rates of other practices, so firms combat that with (1) volume and (2) crappy billing arrangements. I can imagine that at some firms, L&E attorneys are considered a secondary/service practice group that isn't seen as important...fortunately that hasn't been the case in my (limited) experience at my firm.

Thank you for the response! Got a lot out of it.

Return to “Legal Employment�